Mizuno ST-X and ST-Z Driver Review

Can not wait to see your review. Looking at it online this may be the 5W that finally gets my old 2016 JPX EZ out of my bag! :)
I’m excited, both to kick the SIM out and to see if the fairways deliver on the SUPER big hype they’re creating

i need more info on the stz fairway. i hope to hit it this week. i have some gift cards burning a hole in my pocket, and this fairway really seems to check a lot of boxes for me.

i want something to launch. i want something to spin. and i want something to NOT go left. the stz really seems to check those boxes.

I keep scouring the internet to find more feedback on it and it's frustrating there's nothing much out yet. Obviously it's early but I'm impatient :ROFLMAO:. I'm pretty pumped for my 3 wood to come but unfortunately have no idea when that will be.

I keep scouring the internet to find more feedback on it and it's frustrating there's nothing much out yet. Obviously it's early but I'm impatient :ROFLMAO:. I'm pretty pumped for my 3 wood to come but unfortunately have no idea when that will be.

i’m going to hit it this week. i’m not interested in a 3w. but a 5w turned down to 4w sounds very juicy.

Reactions: KEV
Picked up the 3 wood on Friday and immediately took it to X Golf in Madison. I was hitting it 10 yards shorter than my new Tsi2 driver.

Pretty damn impressive.

I might need to add a driver too now....;)

hellooooooo nurse!

5772C795-6461-4630-9FCD-56E84C31FFCE.jpeg

F4DEE417-20DE-4FDA-9CD3-C35DA67FA35F.jpeg

after watching and reading reviews of the mizuno stz fairway, it really seemed to be the club for me. fast but with launch, spin and stability.

i haven’t been thrilled with that spot in my bag. i did enjoy the mavrik max, but its draw bias was too much for me. i put the mavrik standard 4w in the bag and i’m just not getting enough launch and spin, and see a lot of punishing misses directionally. that tells me not enough spin.

i have some pgatss gift cards burning a hole in my pocket, and today was the day!

i hit the stz 5w against ping g425 max 5w. both were stock stiff. it was a harder decision than i expected. while i never saw any hooks with the 425 max, its solid shots did want to draw a bit much, whereas the stz wanted to gently fade every time. that is a good thing for me! i also saw consistently higher ball speeds with the stz. 425 max capped out at 142 ball speed, but stz topped out at 145 ball speed. for a 5w, i think that’s excellent!

so i took the plunge. i’m so excited!

B59BFBBF-07F3-45A8-8072-68355C5BB9B1.jpeg

hellooooooo nurse!

View attachment 8994643

View attachment 8994644

after watching and reading reviews of the mizuno stz fairway, it really seemed to be the club for me. fast but with launch, spin and stability.

i haven’t been thrilled with that spot in my bag. i did enjoy the mavrik max, but its draw bias was too much for me. i put the mavrik standard 4w in the bag and i’m just not getting enough launch and spin, and see a lot of punishing misses directionally. that tells me not enough spin.

i have some pgatss gift cards burning a hole in my pocket, and today was the day!

i hit the stz 5w against ping g425 max 5w. both were stock stiff. it was a harder decision than i expected. while i never saw any hooks with the 425 max, its solid shots did want to draw a bit much, whereas the stz wanted to gently fade every time. that is a good thing for me! i also saw consistently higher ball speeds with the stz. 425 max capped out at 142 ball speed, but stz topped out at 145 ball speed. for a 5w, i think that’s excellent!

so i took the plunge. i’m so excited!

View attachment 8994645

Which shaft?

A client sent me a gift card. This fwy is intriguing.

Which shaft?

A client sent me a gift card. This fwy is intriguing.

stock motore x f3 7 stiff. feels awesome. feels like it has some stiffness to it, not loose at all. i liked it better than the stock in the g425 max.

stock motore x f3 7 stiff. feels awesome. feels like it has some stiffness to it, not loose at all. i liked it better than the stock in the g425 max.

I'm super impressed with the stock motore x f3 shaft as well. I was seeing a ball flight that I'm not used to seeing with a fairway wood - stable and explosive with a baby draw. It's making me think I might have to try it in a driver as well.

Great Choice. I might be more of an F3 6 regular from reading about it. I don't think I've ever liked a Ping Wood Shaft. lol. I also can't get accustomed to the non rounded sole.

Need to get to PGATSS to try it out but why? I buy fairways and hybrids sight unseen for some reason. I look at what @Jman, you and others like, and then buy the junior loft and shaft version

Nice look at the ST-X driver and ST-Z 3 wood. Both just feel so sweet, especially the new faces on the fairway woods. Didn't think I'd ever replace my ST190-TS 3 wood, but it's my spare bag now. These heads are bombers for sure. Also, the driver looks closed in this picture, but it's just the angle of the photo. The ST-X head is neutral at it's intended loft (10.5° here) and is 1.5° open at the 9.375° loft setting, which is just perfect.

ST heads.jpg

Last edited:
Now that we announced Vosh is joining us in Vegas for Shaft Up with UST Mamiya, we can say these woods will be involved.

Of course the Mizuno Experience just announced will be incredibly special as well.

Great looking clubs, thanks for the photos everyone. These have not hit my store yet... hoping this week they turn up.

I'm so torn on ST-X vs ST-Z for driver. I generally do better with a smaller head even though I definitely don't fall in the better player category.

Guess another trip to the shop is in order to test both out again.

I'm so torn on ST-X vs ST-Z for driver. I generally do better with a smaller head even though I definitely don't fall in the better player category.

Guess another trip to the shop is in order to test both out again.

i (think) i’m set on driver, but i’d like to take some swipes with the z. it had a different look at address for me. almost like the bulge in the heel was very visible at address?

Now that we announced Vosh is joining us in Vegas for Shaft Up with UST Mamiya, we can say these woods will be involved.

Of course the Mizuno Experience just announced will be incredibly special as well.

HOT DOG!!!!!!!

Just read through and watched the video on this one. Vosh - is so knowledgeable - super excited he is coming to Vegas.

Great stuff from the two drivers - the top line looks fantastic in photos -thanks to @Hammer22 ... Listened to the guys at TXG interview Vosh as well - awesome content.

Last edited:

Mizuno video where they dive into great detail on both the drivers and woods. A great listen if you have the time for all of the video to watch and understand their approach to the wood line or start after the 1 hr. mark to get some real detailed specs on the driver and woods. Chris has interesting takes on where the drivers fit into the lineup and not pigeon holing one vs the other which was interesting to hear.

this st-z fairway. this FREAKING st-z fairway wood. WOW!!!

i am not a fairway wood guy. i don't hit them well. i wish i could, but i don't. it's a puzzle i'm always trying to solve, but ultimately it comes down to my delivery issues.

it's very early and i haven't been on the course yet, but so far there is something about this st-z 5w with stock motore x f3 7s that feels like it was made for me. hitting off mats this morning, the first few were low on the face but very straight. then i started making a better turn with a little more wrist set at the top, and BOOM. flushed contact, high and straight to baby fade. no draws. no hooks. just perfection and so stable. and the feel is incredible.

i don't think this is the fairway wood for the guy looking to hit low spin bullets; it seems to be for the guy who wants stability without bringing the left side of the course into play.

That is really fun feedback right there @McLovin -Finding a product that just sort of 'works' for you and brings excitement to a part of the bag that usually frustrates!

nice.

It's a great fairway wood. I'm itching to get back to X-Golf just so I can hit it some more.

That is really fun feedback right there @McLovin -Finding a product that just sort of 'works' for you and brings excitement to a part of the bag that usually frustrates!

nice.

i'm positively giddy about this thing. looks. feel. performance. everything i could every want in a fairway, right here. i hope more people try this thing, particularly those who are looking for stable spin without left bias.

i'm positively giddy about this thing. looks. feel. performance. everything i could every want in a fairway, right here. i hope more people try this thing, particularly those who are looking for stable spin without left bias.
Love hearing this man. Mizuno putting out some great gear this year!

Nice look at the ST-X driver and ST-Z 3 wood. Both just feel so sweet, especially the new faces on the fairway woods. Didn't think I'd ever replace my ST190-TS 3 wood, but it's my spare bag now. These heads are bombers for sure. Also, the driver looks closed in this picture, but it's just the angle of the photo. The ST-X head is neutral at it's intended loft (10.5° here) and is 1.5° open at the 9.375° loft setting, which is just perfect.

View attachment 8994694

dangg...... that looks soooo good

so much mizuno awesomeness coming.... like woah

this st-z fairway. this FREAKING st-z fairway wood. WOW!!!

i am not a fairway wood guy. i don't hit them well. i wish i could, but i don't. it's a puzzle i'm always trying to solve, but ultimately it comes down to my delivery issues.

it's very early and i haven't been on the course yet, but so far there is something about this st-z 5w with stock motore x f3 7s that feels like it was made for me. hitting off mats this morning, the first few were low on the face but very straight. then i started making a better turn with a little more wrist set at the top, and BOOM. flushed contact, high and straight to baby fade. no draws. no hooks. just perfection and so stable. and the feel is incredible.

i don't think this is the fairway wood for the guy looking to hit low spin bullets; it seems to be for the guy who wants stability without bringing the left side of the course into play.

bro... you're going to make me go spend some money soon haha. Ive been sooooo intrigued in these. Hearing that they give some spin and launch is what I need in a FW and if it helps the left miss... then very nice.

ohhhhh mizuno i want thee

Music to my ears. the left bias has killed me a few times. If you think you are giddy! I am imagining hitting these in Vegas for the first time haha!

Back