It's that time of year again. Mini putting sessions in the basement while I dial in the early victor for the gamer bag to start the season.

Scotty is looking awfully good right now.
Toulon is putting up one heck of an argument.
Logan is lagging behind.

.....and I am doing 'okay' on the "don't need a mallet" ponder

11 putts through 9 holes yesterday afternoon. Pretty happy with that. Very easily should have been 10 - Ball hung up on a piece of long grass on #7 and didn't fall. Oh well.
Mr. space Bandito, that is insanely good putting by the numbers, but what would be more interesting is the distance of the putts you made. Did you miss the approach shot just off the green and chip it close for a one putt or were these 10 12 15 footers, or longer that you made? I'm not sure the pros even average 11 putts per 9 holes, but only on rare occasion.

Mr. space Bandito, that is insanely good putting by the numbers, but what would be more interesting is the distance of the putts you made. Did you miss the approach shot just off the green and chip it close for a one putt or were these 10 12 15 footers, or longer that you made? I'm not sure the pros even average 11 putts per 9 holes, but only on rare occasion.
Most were around 6 feet or so. Couple of decent 20+ footers in there.

Yesterday, out at a different course which I only play every few months (at most) 13 putts on the front 9, many from outside 10ft, and 14 putts on the back with a huge 40 footer to save par on 13

Putting is going well right now.

Ordered another Odyssey tonight.
Wife rolled her eyes again tonight.
Such is life.

It's something we all live with, that wife-eye rolling thingy!!! :laughing::laughing:

Lately when I've been practice putting I've been looking at a spot a few inches in front of my ball instead of the ball itself while making my stroke and it seems like I've been hitting way more solid putts. I tend to decelerate, particularly on shorter putts, and this seems to free me up. I'm not sure how well it would work during actual rounds but I really like what I see during practice at home.

Lately when I've been practice putting I've been looking at a spot a few inches in front of my ball instead of the ball itself while making my stroke and it seems like I've been hitting way more solid putts. I tend to decelerate, particularly on shorter putts, and this seems to free me up. I'm not sure how well it would work during actual rounds but I really like what I see during practice at home.
I usually don't look too hard at the ball when I am about to putt, and definitely don't look ahead of it - but I absolutely pick a spot on the green in front of the ball to start my line to the hole and it's the last thought in my brain to roll it over top of it.

I usually don't look too hard at the ball when I am about to putt, and definitely don't look ahead of it - but I absolutely pick a spot on the green in front of the ball to start my line to the hole and it's the last thought in my brain to roll it over top of it.

I've been using a spot along along the line as the target also but I'm not looking at the ball at all during the stroke. It's crazy how much better I'm striking the ball by doing that. I'm not sure if it's realistic to do during actual rounds but it's something I really want to try. I feel so free throughout the stroke.

I guess maybe it's like bowling where I pick an arrow to aim at down the lane and it frees up my mind to just roll the ball instead of think about mechanics.

I've been using a spot along along the line as the target also but I'm not looking at the ball at all during the stroke. It's crazy how much better I'm striking the ball by doing that. I'm not sure if it's realistic to do during actual rounds but it's something I really want to try. I feel so free throughout the stroke.

I guess maybe it's like bowling where I pick an arrow to aim at down the lane and it frees up my mind to just roll the ball instead of think about mechanics.
You're not the first person to see success not looking at the ball, that's for sure.

Would be a fun something to take to the practice green to see how much difference it makes.

Reactions: KEV
Interesting setup there. I tend to hit too hard versus decelerate. I kinda look at the back of the ball to make sure I hit squarely.

Reactions: KEV
GRIP CHECK!!!!!

This is my natural putting grip, which I always thought was pretty sound. When I look at it on video or photo it looks like my hands may be too far apart.

Do you all see anything detrimental about how I currently grip my putter???

View attachment 8994052
Do you roll the ball consistently well and make lots of putts? If the answer is yes, don’t change a thing.

A346B57C-70E4-4002-9F0D-6DCAD2E596F0.jpeg

This one....this one I’m in love with.

Which is your putter model ?Are you wanting the name stamped on the putter face or the sole or the back cavity/bumpers ?
I suggest playing the putter for at least a dozen rounds of golf before having it personalized with stamps.

Yes, want to stamp the nickname I have for my daughter on it. I'm not sure I trust myself to do the stamping well (I can handle paint fill) so looking to send it somewhere.
Lots of good companies out there, and I say for something that special it’s a green light, I’ve still got three with my kids names and initials on them.

The Golf Garage is quite good!

After a lot of experimenting, I purchased an Evnroll ER2B over a year ago. I also changed my putting stroke. Instead of going with conventional wisdom, I started putting with my hands/wrists and it has really worked for me.

Anyone have any recommendations for custom stamping on a putter? Does the whole putter need to be refinished to do that?
I like @Jman's suggestion.

Also, if you spend a little bit of time on instagram you'd be shocked to see how many options are out there for people - and the nice thing about it is how easy it is to window shop by scrolling their feeds.

Wish I had some experience with my own putters getting stamped to share.

Lots of good companies out there, and I say for something that special it’s a green light, I’ve still got three with my kids names and initials on them.

The Golf Garage is quite good!

@Scooby45
GG will just send it to someone else to do the work (I used to do a lot of work for him - had to stop when I realized he was claiming it as his own) May as well cut out the middle man and send it to someone respectable like NorCal, or Embrace, or any of the other small shops out there.

If you're just looking for stamps and paint fill, I can probably squeeze you in for a freebie.

I lined up my 5 putters. They should all feel vulnerable. None are a lock for gamer or even staying in the lineup. My Sam Lab fitting gave me some good information. I am in a testing and processing mode. I love that mode.

I feel like talking putting... Not really putters (there are threads for those) but more like what you're experiencing right now with your putter.

Hot flatstick? talk about it.
Worked on something and love it? Talk about it.
Can't get out of a funk? Talk about it.

I putted great my last couple rounds but found tonight to be a weird one. Every single putt was about one inch right of my line. Cost me probably 4-5 strokes. Pretty funny actually. I'm looking forward to seeing if it carries over or whether I just had a weird day out there.

Try and get your hands higher, the shaft should be inline with your forearm if you look down the line. Going to write a blog about it soon https://callumrobinsongolf.com/

I lined up my 5 putters. They should all feel vulnerable. None are a lock for gamer or even staying in the lineup. My Sam Lab fitting gave me some good information. I am in a testing and processing mode. I love that mode.

I felt the same way after my Sam Lab experience. I've already moved some of the hoard out, and only plan on keeping one of my mallets. I'm now fully on the wide blade train.

Back