Which club or set of clubs was your biggest game changer?

camden_kid

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Which club or set of clubs improved your golf the most. What was the impact? What were you using before the change?

I'd like to get an idea of how much of a change can actually be achieved after swapping equipment. Obviously ball, grip, shaft, etc. can affect performance but for this thread I'm particularly interested in clubs.

I'm liking my new to me irons. They're stock Mavrik Max. I wasn't fit for them. They replaced TM burner 2.0's. They seem to be more forgiving on most of my shots which are less than perfect. The graphite shafts to me are better than the steel ones in my previous irons.(y)

For me, it was the original Callaway Big Bertha. I put it in my bag in 1991 right after it was released and before hardly any golfer had even heard of Callaway, let alone seen a Big Bertha. Coming from a small persimmon driver, it made a huge difference in my confidence and driving ability. Its 190cc size and slightly longer(44") Memphis "10" steel shaft felt like cheating, lol. I was 26 years old and thought it was funny that some of the older guys at my club thought it was cheating. Real golfers don't need a hollow-bodied driver, lol. Today's roll back the equipment crowd. :)

Last edited:
My Ping i200's with AWT 2.0 shafts have been fantastic. While i can't pin it on clubs alone, they have played a big part. My HI has dropped to it's lowest ever (12.9) from an 18 just a couple of years ago and i'm hoping to bring it down further this coming season.

Wilson Staff Ci11s. Those were the first set of irons I played that convinced me that I the opportunity to not be terrible at golf. Thankfully, since that set of irons, I am not terrible at golf. I am just run of the mill not very good.

Bridgestone J40DPC. GREAT IRONS!

Which club or set of clubs improved your golf the most. What was the impact? What were you using before the change?

I'd like to get an idea of how much of a change can actually be achieved after swapping equipment. Obviously ball, grip, shaft, etc. can affect performance but for this thread I'm particularly interested in clubs.

64* wedge.

For me, it's my Mizuno JPX 919 Hot Metal irons (Recoil F3 shafts). Why they work so well for me I do not know for sure. They were fit to me for length and lie, and I did some shaft testing on my own before I decided on the Recoils. All I can say is that I hitting the ball with more accuracy than I ever have, and I'm hitting more greens in regulation. Even when I miss greens now, I'm more often than not putting to save par, rather than putting to save bogey or double-bogey. I've had them in the bag for almost exactly 2 years and I expect they'll remain my gamers for the foreseeable future (unless I'm fortunate enough to participate in one of these THP events and get a new set of clubs from it :unsure:).

The Epic Forged where great irons for me. They gave back some lost iron distances. Not playing them now, but they where great for a year.

Wasn't so much a set of clubs, but switching to Recoil graphite shafts changed how I played completely. I became more accurate and consistent. Started playing pain free again.

Moving from hand me down 1969 model Walter Hagen blades to Wilson 1200 Gear Effect cavity back irons in 1995.

Wasn't so much a set of clubs, but switching to Recoil graphite shafts changed how I played completely. I became more accurate and consistent. Started playing pain free again.
I do love my Recoils. I had them in my Cobra F7 OL's before I put them in my 919 HM's.

Ping G400 Max Driver with Ventus Blue S.
Changed my game..
For me
Down the middle, nice carry and rollout..

When I bought my first fitted iron set, my game improved immensely. The Taylormade RBZ set was a literal game changer. Funny how their lofts all those years ago were very similar to my new set of Titleist irons I was fitted for last year.

Was probably the original Epic driver. Was the 1st time it occurred to me that I could be both long (relatively speaking) and accurate.

Although my cap has basically been the same for 5 or 6 years....so has anything really been a game changer?

Which club or set of clubs improved your golf the most.

What was the impact? Tour Edge EXS 220 Driver - Distance and Accuracy Boomed
What were you using before the change? Nike Vapor Fly Pro

Moving from hand me down 1969 model Walter Hagen blades to Wilson 1200 Gear Effect cavity back irons in 1995.

haha!

I had Wilson 1200LTs and moved up to Wilson Gear Effects in 1990 or so (y)

When I switched from the Ping G15's to the Mizuno JPX EZ (orange back) that really kicked my game up a notch. The size difference in the head and the feel was some much more appealing. Since then I have gone to the JPX 900 F then to JPX 919 F.

Mine was a Ping G SFT driver. For years I did not use a driver. Having the G SFT in my bag brought the driver back into play for me.

Going from Nike Slingshot Pro irons to Apex CF16 was a game changer for me at the time. Handicap cut in half real quick. Different heads and shafts and just a better fit. Consistency really improved.

M5 to Mavrik Sub Zero did the same. Driving was a relative weakness until I got that Sub Zero and spent a month dialing it in. There was swing work mixed into that, but the improvement off the tee with a more tailored to me setup showed up in my scores in countless ways.

Last year, I came back to the game after a very long layoff and am now playing as a senior player. I used 3 sets of irons from the beginning to the end of the season. I started with the vintage, stiff shaft, muscle back blades that I’d used all of my adult life. Next, without being fitted, I bought a set of used, Nike, cavity back irons with senior flex, graphite shafts. Then I got fitted and switched to Titleist T300 irons, with their “jacked” lofts, and graphite regular flex shafts. For the most part, there really has not been a huge improvement in my game because of the clubs. My misses with the latest irons come off a bit better than they did with the blades, but on good swings, I really hit them all pretty well. The biggest difference is how far I can hit a ball with for example with the new 7 iron verses the other 7 irons. It’s kind of reinforced my opinion that it’s not the clubs that make the difference as much as how I swing them.

Replacing my 20 year old groove-less irons with new W-S irons made a big difference and helped bring my Hcp down 3 last year.

A professionally fitted putter made the the biggest difference. Better wedges would be second. Driver third.

Back