Need to add a wedge to my bag.

cnl390

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
I am needing to put another wedge (or two?) in my bag. My current wedges are Ping G710 PW (44*) and U (49*). I am using the PW for the majority of chips and pitches around the green. For 50 yds and in I mostly use my 9i and PW with a low to mid flighted pitch and run shots. This has been working well for me, but I believe I need to add higher pitch and stop shots to my game. Suggestions on what wedge, or wedges to add would be appreciated.

:unsure: Just gotta' get to a demo day on grass and see what bounce, grind works for you around the greens - depends on your setup.

What I did was make sure of my setup and pitch/chip swing and ball positioning for each type of shot and then afterwards, demo wedges.

I'd add a 54 or something close to that to your current setup. But as @Desmond said, you need ot be sure of your swing first.

I am needing to put another wedge (or two?) in my bag. My current wedges are Ping G710 PW (44*) and U (49*). I am using the PW for the majority of chips and pitches around the green. For 50 yds and in I mostly use my 9i and PW with a low to mid flighted pitch and run shots. This has been working well for me, but I believe I need to add higher pitch and stop shots to my game. Suggestions on what wedge, or wedges to add would be appreciated.
Add a 56 and 64 to your bag.

Yep.... go hit a bunch... I’d say 54* or 56* and see which performs best for you then maybe add a 58* or 60* sometime down the line...

yeah, there may be gapping issue, but at this point, and considering you’re maxing out at 49* I’d say a loft and sole pattern that you’re super-comfortable with is preferable to being too locked into a gapping scenario.... good luck!

a 54 and a 58/60 would be my take on things. If you can hit the higher lofts well green side, it is a good shot to have if you are short sided with a chasm of a bunker to hit over. Otherwise, I love that you use your PW for the majority of your short game. My 46* is my go to club for chipping.

Think about a 54 and if you are good with a lob wedge, a 59 - as to which wedge and grind, Titleist has fitting centers where you can hit full shots and chips and pitches and bunker shots and get fit for wedges -- from that, you get an idea of what fits you as to grind and bounce and loft. It'll cost you a $100 or so, but well worth it.

Cleveland CBX 2 if you're looking for something forgiving

Otherwise Zipcore wedges.

Or Vokey just debuted some slate blue wedges too!

Cleveland CBX2 56* wedge.

Since it appears that the 49* is you highest loft, I wouldn't go too far with loft, but maybe a 54* or 56*. Personally, I could get away with my 54* being the highest loft because I am very good with it for pitching/chipping, sand shots, and can open it easily for lob shots. I do have a 58* in my bag though, but could go without it. For you, I would suggest a 54* with higher bounce and wider sole, which adds to create 'effective bounce', something like this from the Callaway Preowned site.

Screenshot (36).png

Attachments

• Screenshot (36).png
    Screenshot (36).png
    76 KB · Views: 4
Since it appears that the 49* is you highest loft, I wouldn't go too far with loft, but maybe a 54* or 56*. Personally, I could get away with my 54* being the highest loft because I am very good with it for pitching/chipping, sand shots, and can open it easily for lob shots. I do have a 58* in my bag though, but could go without it. For you, I would suggest a 54* with higher bounce and wider sole, which adds to create 'effective bounce', something like this from the Callaway Preowned site.

View attachment 8994821

How would you know grind without knowing his swing or setup?

You don't.:oops:

How would you know grind without knowing his swing or setup?

You don't.:oops:
Well actually, I said something like this, not this exactly. Although, from the info he gave as to the clubs in his bag, and how he uses them, I still thing a forgiving wedge with high 'effective' bounce is his best choice. So 'I do' somewhat know his swing or setup!:oops:

Think about a 54 and if you are good with a lob wedge, a 59 - as to which wedge and grind, Titleist has fitting centers where you can hit full shots and chips and pitches and bunker shots and get fit for wedges -- from that, you get an idea of what fits you as to grind and bounce and loft. It'll cost you a $100 or so, but well worth it.
Titleist does a great job with the wedge fitting. I would see if they do any Titleist Thursday's in your area. This is how I got fitted for my wedges from the 2020 Titleist Vokey Experience and it was great. It's also free which is nice and is about 45 minutes. I had a couple of dates to choose from and chose the one when it was at the University of Texas Golf Club. It started with me hitting my 9i and pw to start the gapping for the rest of the wedges. After determining the lofts of the wedges we went to their chipping green which was very nice and hit various bunker and chip shots with different bounces and grinds. I highly recommend it if it's an option. You can also schedule them for Driver, fairway/hybrids, and irons.

Plenty of great advice here already. If you're able to get out and test some, that'd be best! Think about what types of shots you want to hit with the club, and what ground conditions you'll likely be playing from when making your decisions...

Well actually, I said something like this, not this exactly. Although, from the info he gave as to the clubs in his bag, and how he uses them, I still thing a forgiving wedge with high 'effective' bounce is his best choice. So 'I do' somewhat know his swing or setup!:oops:

Well, not really,:unsure: but okay. After 25 yr on golf forums, it's a tough call when someone says very little. I say, if it's wedges, get a Titleist Fitting. Very enlightening.;)

And I don't play Titleist, but I did and I would;)

54 and 58 degrees would be my suggestion. Adding a higher loft wedge or two would certainly increase you versatility to play different kinds of shots around the green.

I have the same lofts in my PW and GW, and I went with 54 and 58 degree wedges. However, the exact model, bounce, etc can be determined in a fitting.

Well, not really,:unsure: but okay. After 25 yr on golf forums, it's a tough call when someone says very little. I say, if it's wedges, get a Titleist Fitting. Very enlightening.;)

And I don't play Titleist, but I did and I would;)
Not to beat a dead horse so to speak, but I do know some things about his swing and his game, and this is not a shot against the OP, but based on the things he said. For example:
1) highest wedge in his bag is 49*, and it seems as though he is pretty handy with it.
2) Guessing his handicap is higher, he doesn't mention what it is if he keeps one. I base this on only having a 49* loft in his bag.
3) He feeling pretty good with what he is hitting right now and wants to take the next step in his wedge game. (great!!!)
So, based on the info he gave I would 'suggest' a 54* sw, with high effective bounce for forgiveness and trap play. I personally like a graphite shaft for feel, sort of like the idea of stroke lab putters, better feel of the club head, imo. After that, I would recommend a 58* lob wedge which is enough loft to last your entire golf life. You go higher than this and you are asking for trouble, based on only having a 49* wedge in the bag now. There are many great wedges out there that will work for you, and you don't have to spend an arm and a leg for them, like going to Titlest Vokeys. The reason I suggested CPO to purchase from, you can buy used at a much reduced cost (even like new condition) and still get great wedges. I stand by my suggestion of the 54*W grind, I really think it is perfect for the OPs next wedge. I got the same wedge in 58*. So you see, this suggestion is well thought out based on the info given.;) BTW, I have never been fitted for wedges, and my wedge game is very good. Fittings can be expensive.
Good luck to you, OP!

Last edited:
Not to beat a dead horse so to speak, but I do know some things about his swing and his game, and this is not a shot against the OP, but based on the things he said. For example:
1) highest wedge in his bag is 49*, and it seems as though he is pretty handy with it.
2) Guessing his handicap is higher, he doesn't mention what it is if he keeps one. I base this on only having a 49* loft in his bag.
3) He feeling pretty good with what he is hitting right now and wants to take the next step in his wedge game. (great!!!)
So, based on the info he gave I would 'suggest' a 54* sw, with high effective bounce for forgiveness and trap play. I personally like a graphite shaft for feel, sort of like the idea of stroke lab putters, better feel of the club head, imo. After that, I would recommend a 58* lob wedge which is enough loft to last your entire golf life. You go higher than this and you are asking for trouble, based on only having a 49* wedge in the bag now. There are many great wedges out there that will work for you, and you don't have to spend an arm and a leg for them, like going to Titlest Vokeys. The reason I suggested CPO to purchase from, you can buy used at a much reduced cost (even like new condition) and still get great wedges. I stand by my suggestion of the 54*W grind, I really think it is perfect for the OPs next wedge. I got the same wedge in 58*. So you see, this suggestion is well thought out based on the info given.;) BTW, I have never been fitted for wedges, and my wedge game is very good. Fittings can be expensive.
Good luck to you, OP!

:cool: I'll stay away and wish the OP good luck.

Back