What’s New: 2020 Callaway Chrome Soft Hits Retail

I tried both at my last Club Champion fitting and the fitter recommended the CSX with the irons I had built (Orka RS10CB). In all honesty I think they were only a couple hundred RPMs different in spin for me. I like the softer feel of the CS in the short came and have several dozen of each that I put into play. I tend to get handsy with my irons and spin the ball too much which is why the fitter suggested the CSX.
Have you tried them with longer clubs or driver?

Have you tried them with longer clubs or driver?
I haven't looked at the numbers but I've played 2 rounds with each ball in similar (cold-ish) conditions and have the Arccos data. On average with driver the CSX is roughly 3 yards longer which isn't anything. When looking at the best few drives with each there are 3 longer shots I can pull with both balls and the longest CSX ball is 10 yards longer than the longest CS ball. Averaging the longest 3 shots from each the top 3 CSX shots are just over 6 yards longer than the average of the top 3 CS shots. I don't have a lot of data with fairways as I haven't hit a ton in the 4 rounds I have played with these. I have hit a handful with the 2 hybrid with each and the best ball and the average with each are within 3 yards of each other. (longest ball with the hybrid comes from the CS). I feel I could easily play either ball and will continue to rotate between the 2 balls and watch the data.

I haven't looked at the numbers but I've played 2 rounds with each ball in similar (cold-ish) conditions and have the Arccos data. On average with driver the CSX is roughly 3 yards longer which isn't anything. When looking at the best few drives with each there are 3 longer shots I can pull with both balls and the longest CSX ball is 10 yards longer than the longest CS ball. Averaging the longest 3 shots from each the top 3 CSX shots are just over 6 yards longer than the average of the top 3 CS shots. I don't have a lot of data with fairways as I haven't hit a ton in the 4 rounds I have played with these. I have hit a handful with the 2 hybrid with each and the best ball and the average with each are within 3 yards of each other. (longest ball with the hybrid comes from the CS). I feel I could easily play either ball and will continue to rotate between the 2 balls and watch the data.
Awesome stuff here

I played the same CS Truvis USA ball for 36 holes this weekend. No issues with scuffs or cuts. Just spins really good for me on approach shots and around the greens. Feels really good off the TT Ten putter.

haven't played a CSX in a while...i think i have a couple of sleeves sitting in the closet...guess they gotta come out when i get to play again.

I have had 2 sim sessions with the CS and it feels much softer than the X. The yardage off the driver isn’t much shorter than the X. I didn’t notice much difference on iron shots for distance.

The next time I am there I am going to strictly range work to have more measurable distances. I have wanted to play golf the last few times.

Finally put some hot chickens in play.
These things are super spinny on full wedge shots. Long on drives. Didn't get a good read on greenside play.

Feel is a ton better than last year's.

I have had 2 sim sessions with the CS and it feels much softer than the X. The yardage off the driver isn’t much shorter than the X. I didn’t notice much difference on iron shots for distance.

The next time I am there I am going to strictly range work to have more measurable distances. I have wanted to play golf the last few times.
I know some love the performance of the X version but I can't get over how good the regular feels. I think I'm willing to give up a couple extra yards to get that feel across the whole bag.

I have been using the regular CS in the cooler months and it has been performing quite well. I will go back to the X when temps get in the 80s or higher.

I know some love the performance of the X version but I can't get over how good the regular feels. I think I'm willing to give up a couple extra yards to get that feel across the whole bag.

Im with you on the regular as I love it. Depending on spin and speed, the X might be longer or not for a person.

I feel I could easily play either ball and will continue to rotate between the 2 balls
I'm with you on this... I'd need to get on a monitor to rule one out

Been playing Chrome Soft this winter and its a great winter ball (other than I get annoyed when I lose 1...or 5).
Good launch off the tee helps in the soft conditions, and the slightly softer feel is nice when its cold out.

I like the firmer feel of the X. I do think the CS would do much better in the cooler weather.
I think that is part of it, feel is a definite important piece of which ball is chosen.

Today confirmed the 2020 CSX is the best ball for me. I tested another ball that is coming to market and the dropo off in yardage off the tee was eye opening. I was seeing 30 extra yards off the tee with the CSX. Yes you read that right 30 yards. It’s not hyperbole or exaggeration, @badolds had a front row seat for the performance between these two balls.

these were two well struck shots with the mystery ball I was testing

26902CE1-3873-4251-B510-2937AC046417.jpeg

these two are results with the CSX off the tee
23D5A666-92EB-4A0C-AC69-9B9BA590D441.jpeg
No contest imo.

Also I was a slow convert to the TripleTrack tech, but I’m a full on convert now. I had what was at least a 50’ putt for bogey on a par three and used TT to line up the putt. I will agree pace was as important as my line, but with TT helping me line up the putt I could concentrate on pace. I made the putt and @badolds was not surprised. TT is the real deal and it works.

Another thing I want to mention is the spin you can generate from this ball. The greens today were not receptive at all. Pretty hard and would take a special shot to hold anything. This was a pitch shot I hit from about 70yds and it one hopped and stopped. This same hole @badolds hit a similar shot and spun it off the green. Here is my result
6589030A-85E5-495A-8927-1D47CA5FEB6A.jpeg

BC9048C6-5E0A-449C-B0BF-63F87E0F9DF8.jpeg

Last edited:
I continue to love the 2020 Chrome Soft and CSx. Some swing changes have me putting some decent spin on the CS with the irons, and it's absolutely amazing off the tee. CSx will be my go-to once the ground solidifies and the season kicks in, but I'm enjoying the CS this winter.

The 2020 CSX is an incredible ball but I am still unsure if its the best fit for me. The performance off the tee is great and I saw a couple drives over 290 today. The greens were hard and not receptive at all but short to mid irons still held the greens without issue. Where I run into trouble with this ball is with my scoring clubs. I keep spinning the ball back off the green after hitting good shots into the pin.

IMG_2017.jpg

This was the same hole that @mikeg_74 nearly holed out from 70 yards I hit the same shot right up by the flag and zipped it back off the front of the green. When I play in wet soft conditions this problem becomes even worse with a few good shots per round ruined by spinning it back off the putting surface. This ball is so good for me otherwise it is a shame that I may have to move away from it. The 2020 Chrome soft performs about the same for me as the CSX except it is not quite as long off the tee and It does not bite quite as hard into the green which is good in my case. I cannot putt with anything other than a triple track ball and would miss it immensely on the tee box so its a two horse race between CS and CSX.

I went back to the 2020 Chrome Soft yesterday and the results confirmed that it is a better fit for me than CSX. My iron distances are the same with both balls but I am not having balls spin off the green after good shots. I had 4-5 tweeners where I could choke down on a longer club or hit a full shot with the shorter club. I chose to hit a full shot each time and none of the well struck shots came up short compared to the CSX or the Srixon balls I played last year. The course was very wet from recent rains and most of the greens slope from back to front. This is a recipe for balls to hit the green and spin off.

20210123_130621.jpg

This was a full pitching wedge that hit and ended up about a foot from the ball mark. I guarantee this shot with the CSX would have ended up farther from the hole and probably would be chipping instead of putting for birdie. I saw this same scenario all day with shots ranging from 70-170 yards, the ball hits and ends up close to the ball mark. I enjoy the feel of the Chrome Soft from driver thru putter. Other than the CSX being 5-10 yards longer from the tee and spinning more into the green they are interchangeable for me.

I will revisit the CSX in the hot dry summer months when the greens dry out and the extra spin will be helpful. I believe I am in the minority when it comes to creating too much spin on approach shots. If that is something that would help your game then I urge you to try the 2020 CSX.

Played Chrome Soft 20 yesterday in sub zero temps. Love it. Its so freaking good off the tee for me. Seems to have some sort of built in "go straight" tech.

However, if anyone wants some hot chicken Truvis, I did some product seeding around Swaneset Links course.
20210123_081927.jpg

Well this is new:
D6EB8EFC-8374-4F08-A54F-318B8EB5761A.jpeg

Another couple rounds with the standard Chrome Soft has confirmed this is the ball for me. Consistent results where the ball is working for me instead of against me gives me confidence choosing a club. I do believe the CSX is longer off the tee but that is the only area that it has an advantage for me and the trade off is definitely worth it although its hard to give up the extra 10 yards or so. I played the same course in wet conditions that I was having trouble with the CSX spinning too much and I found the Chrome Soft to stay within a few feet of the ball mark with mid irons thru wedges.

Love seeing this thread pop-up, as I fell in love with the Triple Track technology this year. I played both the CS and CSX I think it's the first time where I can say I like the feel of one better than the other (CS over CSX). Has anyone in here compared the CS line to the new ERC Soft? Just saw these aren't availble until 2/25 🤦‍♂️
I'm considering switching down so I can keep the TT which I love, but don't grimace as bad each time I send one into the woods or the water :LOL:

Well it's a limited sample but I did some quick ball testing between the CS and CSX today on the LGS launch monitor. Using my 8-iron (only got 10 swings with each) I definitely saw a tighter dispersion from the regular Chrome Soft, as the CSX definitely had more curvature. I got booted before I could really analyze ball speed and spin numbers, but the CS was definitely straighter for me. Launch looked roughly the same.

Last edited:
Back