Callaway Releases Big Bertha B21 Driver

A ton of members here who have been fit into the Max and found good spin numbers have seen what several of us have been preaching in here for months, this is a much lower spinning head, it’s a low forward center of gravity and plays as such, but with all the forgiveness of the Max. It’s a unicorn.

And all the while, reducing sidespin as well. It truly is a unicorn, that will inevitably get lost in the shuffle of all of the new releases. That said, I have been demoing the Epic Max and Max LS, and those are fantastic also. I will give those a run. May the best head win.

And all the while, reducing sidespin as well. It truly is a unicorn, that will inevitably get lost in the shuffle of all of the new releases. That said, I have been demoing the Epic Max and Max LS, and those are fantastic also. I will give those a run. May the best head win.
To be fair, it has sold extremely well, and fitters love it.

Weather and timing have been off for me since I've gotten it. I've only had this driver out for 9 holes and I'm itching to get out and hit it more. What I did see was really nice and I REALLY want to get out and hit it more. I might have to take it to the driving range sometime this week just to scratch that itch.

I have read several reviews that this driver has a slight closed face, question, is it possible to get rid of the closed face with the hosel adjustment. I like the driver but I really don't care much for the closed face look.

I have read several reviews that this driver has a slight closed face, question, is it possible to get rid of the closed face with the hosel adjustment. I like the driver but I really don't care much for the closed face look.
I find it to be a fairly neutral face, not closed. I guess you could get a 10.5° head, if you adjust loft stronger it should open the face a bit.

I find it to be a fairly neutral face, not closed. I guess you could get a 10.5° head, if you adjust loft stronger it should open the face a bit.

I concur. I just looked at my B21 9* set at +1/N, and it looks only the slightest bit closed perhaps. Set it at standard loft, or -1, and it should be neutral to slightly open.

I concur. I just looked at my B21 9* set at +1/N, and it looks only the slightest bit closed perhaps. Set it at standard loft, or -1, and it should be neutral to slightly open.
Pretty darn neutral

6668F056-E315-4556-A915-1E0A4C447145.jpeg

So would a 10.5* head need to be set open for it to be square, if so, how would that affect the flight? Would it be more prone to a fade?

So would a 10.5* head need to be set open for it to be square, if so, how would that affect the flight? Would it be more prone to a fade?
That picture above is the 10.5 head at neutral

I bit the bullet and got a BB 10.5 blind. Going to be in FL. in 9 days so I thought it would be a perfect time to get used to it. I had a bunch of credits a GG so I thought why not.

This is my first Callaway driver in 4 years, so I really don't know what to expect, that's why all of the reading of reviews and what not. It's not the draw bias that made me look at the club(although that doesn't hurt), it was the clean look on the crown with the alignment aid/red line. I also like the sound better than most that I've heard on some YouTube reviews.
Still keeping my G400MAX though.

To be fair, it has sold extremely well, and fitters love it.
I was wondering how it was doing in stores and even more about how much fitters are going to it. This is good to hear. I would assume they like options a lot. This is definitely a different option than everything else.

I bit the bullet and got a BB 10.5 blind. Going to be in FL. in 9 days so I thought it would be a perfect time to get used to it. I had a bunch of credits a GG so I thought why not.

This is my first Callaway driver in 4 years, so I really don't know what to expect, that's why all of the reading of reviews and what not. It's not the draw bias that made me look at the club(although that doesn't hurt), it was the clean look on the crown with the alignment aid/red line. I also like the sound better than most that I've heard on some YouTube reviews.
Still keeping my G400MAX though.

Best of luck with the B21. I’ll be in hearing how it works out. I’m going to hit this driver before my season starts to see how it performs for me.

I got one on the way not sure when I’ll have a chance to try it but I’ll let you all know I like trying something different

TXG you tube channel did a review on draw biased drivers recently. I cannot believe they did not include this driver but put in the new Epic max as Callaway's draw driver. I do not know what these guys were thinking. I actually went back on there channel and found the original B21 review they did and it basically just brushed the driver off for something that only the 5 times a year player would use, when in reality its something a lot of club golfers would get benefit from. Then they say in the review the Epic was the most neutral flight of the drivers they tested. Just annoyed really, would have loved to have seen how this driver would compare to the other companies max draw designed offerings.

TXG you tube channel did a review on draw biased drivers recently. I cannot believe they did not include this driver
I saw that video by TXG and thought the same, but I'm not shocked. I think Callaway did a bad job marketing this driver as game improvement only. Basically only thought of as an anti slice driver for hacks. Apparently it hasn't hurt their sales, so who knows.

I saw that video by TXG and thought the same, but I'm not shocked. I think Callaway did a bad job marketing this driver as game improvement only. Basically only thought of as an anti slice driver for hacks. Apparently it hasn't hurt their sales, so who knows.
That was my thought basically more so than the anti slice properties. I'm usually not a slicer but a leaker, so anything that could help would be welcome.
I did see several videos on the B21 and frankly was impressed not only with the performance but the looks.

TXG you tube channel did a review on draw biased drivers recently. I cannot believe they did not include this driver but put in the new Epic max as Callaway's draw driver. I do not know what these guys were thinking. I actually went back on there channel and found the original B21 review they did and it basically just brushed the driver off for something that only the 5 times a year player would use, when in reality its something a lot of club golfers would get benefit from. Then they say in the review the Epic was the most neutral flight of the drivers they tested. Just annoyed really, would have loved to have seen how this driver would compare to the other companies max draw designed offerings.
When you say it, it sounds differently than I say it, I get different results.

Just got a head from @Fathead1911. Lofted down to 9.5. I'm an in to out swinger and normally hit a small draw or block it out to the right. Was impressed with this club. With 102 CHS I was getting >150 Ball speed and I hit 80% of my drives down the middle with a baby draw. I was worried I would overcook the draw, but I only did when I made a bad swing, which would happen with my Mavrik Standard head as well. I was suprised at how forgiving the club was. The only issue I have was that it seemed the spin was not as low as I thought it would be, but I was using a Golfzon simulator. I'm going to a trackman simulator on Thursday to hash it out head to head against my standard Mavrik.

Any comparisons to the g400 max?

Any comparisons to the g400 max?
I've only hit the G425 max, and I couldn't hit it at all. Not sure if it was the heavy head and the CB shaft but I had difficulty. I also hit the G425 LST and I hit that better but still couldn't get a consistent strike. That was with a RIPx shaft that I hit great with on the other driver heads. For me, the Callaway heads had the highest speed... the B21, Mavrik standard and Epic Speed LS.

Sent from my SM-G998U1 using Tapatalk

If I got one of these I would cut it down an inch. Then I would be concerned about adding weight to the head would add too much spin. Not sure how that would work.

I think before I cut down the shaft and add weight, I would hit/play it before I made any changes. Who knows, maybe the standard set-up is ideal.

If I got one of these I would cut it down an inch. Then I would be concerned about adding weight to the head would add too much spin. Not sure how that would work.

I wouldn't worry too much about adding more spin. Look at it this way, the more weight in the back of the head, the more forgiving the head gets. Plus, you would lose what, 6 SW points by cutting down an inch? That would go from D2 for example to the C's, and that is too light for a lot of folks. I have a bunch of Callaway weights around from the Rogue/Mavrik days, so I have been able to dial in SW with the B21 when trying out different shafts. And I'll point out, I have found, at least in my case, that this head kind of gets going with a stiffer shaft and right around D2/D3 SW. YMMV.

Back