Your Driver Shaft Length

Mickelson didnt start playing 44" till Whistling Straits, and he ended up having worse accuracy. He didn't want to but Butch Harmon talked him in to it. That was probably the first problem, anytime youre doing something you don't want to it usually doesn't end up well.

What was he playing before then? And after?

I am currently thinking of cutting down the shaft of one of my drivers, it is about 2" longer than the new burner superfast at the moment. But how do you measure your shaft length? From the hosel and up, or from the ground up?

I am currently thinking of cutting down the shaft of one of my drivers, it is about 2" longer than the new burner superfast at the moment. But how do you measure your shaft length? From the hosel and up, or from the ground up?

Ground up. It's why for example R9 shafts are generally 43.5" long, add that to a 2" head to get the 45.5" that it plays at.

I'm a big fan of dropping the driver length to up the accuracy. Keep in mind swing weight changes when you do that though which can be just as much of a problem for some as the length (depending on how sensitive one is)

I'm at 45.75" in my Ping K15 but my normal is 45".

I have trimmed my K15 down a inch from the 45.75 factory length. Much more control for me in the 44/45 inch range. No real lose of distance with the change. It feels the same to me swing weight wise.

I took an inch off my driver. I never noticed the difference because I still hold it in the same place. I just dont have 2" above my grip anymore, now it is 44.5". I took 2" off my 3w because after measuring and such that is what I thought would work best, it seemed long. 2" was an inch too much, ruined it.

i believe phil mickelson was at his best off the tee with a 44'' driver. dunno why he doesn't utilize that more often.

Phil seemed to really get caught up in the distance thing and more so when Tiger was prime and Phil was chasing him.

43.5" I'm no bomber but I've kept up with everyone I've been paired with in the last couple years. Since I shortened my driver, it has become my best (and favorite club). For about 2 years, my longest club was a 5 metal.

I cut my Super Tri down to 44 and couldn't be happier. I am only 5'7" and I just could not get used to swinging a longer shafted club.

44.5 - perfect for me

44.5. May or may not lengthen it when I get it re shafted.

Just bought a dromos 45" and had it cut to 44".

Got it for a song considering it's $300 price tag

Just curious if any of you guys who cut your shafts down have to add any weight to the club head? I prefer the 44.5 inch shaft myself however some shafts make me nervous messing with the length. They come that way to balance out the driver's overall weight. I suppose if it works, that's all that matters.

Gray when my R11 was built he had to add a little weight using the mwt system to get the same swing weight. Pretty awesome stuff to see them dial it in to the exact number.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

Just bought a dromos 45" and had it cut to 44".

Got it for a song considering it's $300 price tag

You're a Miyazaki buying machine!

I cut my stock shaft down to 44 1/4 to compensate for my shortness.

Tap before talk.

Gray when my R11 was built he had to add a little weight using the mwt system to get the same swing weight. Pretty awesome stuff to see them dial it in to the exact number.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

That's the beauty of the drivers with the mwt system! You can get your swing weight back up to factory specs.

I'm on the other end of the spectrum. My driver is 47-inches. My pro had me try different lengths. He said with my height, and relatively short arms, the 47-inch driver was like a 44 inch driver for the average person. Plus, my smash factor with the 47-inch driver was better than it was with the shorter drivers.

My G15 is standard 45.75".

You're a Miyazaki buying machine!

I cut my stock shaft down to 44 1/4 to compensate for my shortness.

Tap before talk.

Always wanted one - i can play with them for the price i got them at - and if something pops up at the outing that is better or im showing better numbers with ill get that. You can never have too many toys :)

Ground up. It's why for example R9 shafts are generally 43.5" long, add that to a 2" head to get the 45.5" that it plays at.

I'm a big fan of dropping the driver length to up the accuracy. Keep in mind swing weight changes when you do that though which can be just as much of a problem for some as the length (depending on how sensitive one is)

Thanks. With its original shaft it had a D2 swingweight, but with the new shaft I put in it got up to a D6. So I hope it will be a bit closer to the original also when I cut it down.

My R11 has been fitted to a Diamana Blueboard with total club length at 43.5. I've never hit the ball longer either. Anything above this length and I'm all over the face, but this just seems to be my magic number because I am dead on the sweetspot probably 8 out of 10 swings and just a tad bit high but still in the middle when I miss. I can't replicate that with any other club in the bag though.

I'm on the other end of the spectrum. My driver is 47-inches. My pro had me try different lengths. He said with my height, and relatively short arms, the 47-inch driver was like a 44 inch driver for the average person. Plus, my smash factor with the 47-inch driver was better than it was with the shorter drivers.

Sean -- I am 6'2" tall however I have arms like a chimp. That is why I am more consistent with the shorter shaft length. 44.5 is my best shaft length.

I prefer a 44 1/2" driver. My current setup is 45" and I've been needing to cut it down. A 1/2" doesn't seem like much, but it really is for me. I might even take it down to 44" and see what happens.

Always wanted one - i can play with them for the price i got them at - and if something pops up at the outing that is better or im showing better numbers with ill get that. You can never have too many toys :)

I'm envious of that situation!

Tap before talk.

the sf 2.0 came 46.5, had it reshafted and now it plays to 45", which i feel is more controlable

44.5, all ya need.

Back