If it's just broken bones, he'll likely be fine; though maybe never at an elite level. My worry is that an impact significant enough to shatter your bones will surely have some effect on your joints. Ligament and tendon damage would potentially reduce his range of motion. Not much coming back from that.
He for sure is really banged up and there could be secondary issues that nobody even is aware of yet. One possible mitigation is that the engine may have been pushed in against his legs only, crushing them, but leaving his upper body and that oh so fragile back intact. Let’s hope...

Is he going to come back? I don't know. Is he going to be able to play at an elite level? I don't know. A lot of people thought he would never play again after all his back surgeries. Then he played. They thought he would never be able to win again. Then he won. They thought he'd never be able to do that in a major. Then he did. Body be damned, you can't count out a guy with that kind of mind. If we've learned anything at all about Tiger Woods, its that if he wants to, he'll find a way.

If it's just broken bones, he'll likely be fine; though maybe never at an elite level. My worry is that an impact significant enough to shatter your bones will surely have some effect on your joints. Ligament and tendon damage would potentially reduce his range of motion. Not much coming back from that.

There was also severe muscle trauma due to bones breaking skin. They have to do surgery to relieve pressure from swelling. I talked to a surgeon and while that is common he said many times with the do that it can cause nerve damage. So who knows..

If Tiger had lost a leg I’m still not sure I would count him out. He is not a typical human being.

I hope he can walk/run pain-free and normally again. I have two buddies who shattered their tibia/fibula/ankle in water ski accidents in their 20's, and they were never able to run or walk normally again. I broke my tibia and fibula, but it was a simple break requiring no surgery, and I was only 17 and fully recovered in 9 weeks. I had a 6.5" titanium plate put on during arm surgery(ulna) for a compound fracture when I was 47, and that recovery was easy and only about 10 weeks, but it sounds like Tiger's is much more serious. Surgeries are incredibly advanced now, so I wish him a speedy and full recovery.

Tiger is 46 later this year, the same age as Jack was when he got his final Masters victory. Boros was 48 when he won the 1968 PGA, so who knows? Maybe Tiger can fully recover and win another, but father time is closing fast on him.

Last edited:
TMZ has footage of Tiger allegedly driving just before the crash. From what I saw he was not driving fast, erratically or out of control. This plus the reports he wasn’t intoxicated...makes me wonder if he was texting or something and lost control

They are saying muscle damage, correct? It sounded like they had to cut the tissue around the muscles to help blood flow or something...I dunno...I've ready so many different articles at this point about this i could be wrong.

Seeing him in Sunday's telecast I think it's safe to say he looked off. Sleep deprivation alone is equivalent to having BAC so even if he technically wasn't on anything he might well have been sleep deprived and dosed off at the wheel or his sensory system wasn't alert to the speed in his situation.

I just hope he is ok and also that he learns to allow himself into a less hectic schedule and give more time to what is truly important to him. All these extra GolfPass (or whatever it was) shoots when he is still in recovery from back surgery just seem like they are not necessary. So what if Tiger Inc. turn a slightly smaller profit in 2021.

Is he going to come back? I don't know. Is he going to be able to play at an elite level? I don't know. A lot of people thought he would never play again after all his back surgeries. Then he played. They thought he would never be able to win again. Then he won. They thought he'd never be able to do that in a major. Then he did. Body be damned, you can't count out a guy with that kind of mind. If we've learned anything at all about Tiger Woods, its that if he wants to, he'll find a way.
He won a US Open with a torn ACL. One thing that can never be questioned is the man's determination.

Seeing him in Sunday's telecast I think it's safe to say he looked off. Sleep deprivation alone is equivalent to having BAC so even if he technically wasn't on anything he might well have been sleep deprived and dosed off at the wheel or his sensory system wasn't alert to the speed in his situation.

I just hope he is ok and also that he learns to allow himself into a less hectic schedule and give more time to what is truly important to him. All these extra GolfPass (or whatever it was) shoots when he is still in recovery from back surgery just seem like they are not necessary. So what if Tiger Inc. turn a slightly smaller profit in 2021.

The story we are getting is this...

Tiger that morning was an individual who would be 30 min late for an appointment. In those circumstances, a driver is usually speeding and not lethargic. Tiger was driving downhill to a curve where speeds go far in excess of the speed limit in an area with many accidents. At high speed, he hits a curb in a SUV ... flips

I wish people would put golf aside and just focus on TW recovering to have a normal life with his family, especially his kids.

I am in no way comparing myself to Tiger, but my left ankle injury required two surgeries, left me with a metal plate with 6 screws and roughly 7 months of rehab before I could even think about anything athletic, much less playing golf. He has a long way to go and I hope mentally he can get over the dark days, because they will come. Plenty of times where I was frustrated and upset because I couldn't do anything or help out around the house. I can only imagine an athlete on his level will have a lot more to deal with mentally because of physical limitations.

Tiger that morning was an individual who would be 30 min late for an appointment. In those circumstances, a driver is usually speeding and not lethargic. Tiger was driving downhill to a curve where speeds go far in excess of the speed limit in an area with many accidents. At high speed, he hits a curb in a SUV ... flips
I don't think a lot of people understand how sloped California roads are near the coast. It is a very dramatic landscape. Completely different geologically from the East Coast.

They are saying muscle damage, correct? It sounded like they had to cut the tissue around the muscles to help blood flow or something...I dunno...I've ready so many different articles at this point about this i could be wrong.
I think it was more of a muscle lining type of thing to relieve pressure from swelling. I don't know enough about muscular anatomy to know how that affects the structural integrity. I know any time you cut muscles and insert rods into bones, there will be lingering issues. I imagine his athleticism, age, etc., all play a role in how his body responds.

I wish people would put golf aside and just focus on TW recovering to have a normal life with his family, especially his kids.

I am in no way comparing myself to Tiger, but my left ankle injury required two surgeries, left me with a metal plate with 6 screws and roughly 7 months of rehab before I could even think about anything athletic, much less playing golf. He has a long way to go and I hope mentally he can get over the dark days, because they will come. Plenty of times where I was frustrated and upset because I couldn't do anything or help out around the house. I can only imagine an athlete on his level will have a lot more to deal with mentally because of physical limitations.
Yep, my son had a friend have his legs crushed like this 5 months ago. His mother talked to my wife about a month afterwards when he had been home for a couple of weeks. Her and his father were very distraught over how much pain he was in even with meds and how he basically couldn't even sleep or do anything because of it. He is just now starting to hobble around without crutches, but he has a heavy limp and there is no way he could do anything active yet. That's the part I hate. His quality of life is going to be really low for several months. I hate even thinking about that.

See my post above about TMZ having footage of him driving just before the accident. I watched it. He was not obviously driving fast or erratic at all. He may as well have been a soccer mom with kids in the back...

I’m one of those people that said Tiger would never win again after his previous back surgery. I’m not making that same mistake again. I only hope he makes a full recovery and is able to walk along side his kids on the course to enjoy watching them play. Golf is secondary at this point, but I will not be surprised if he is able to come back and play.

Yep, my son had a friend have his legs crushed like this 5 months ago. His mother talked to my wife about a month afterwards when he had been home for a couple of weeks. Her and his father were very distraught over how much pain he was in even with meds and how he basically couldn't even sleep or do anything because of it. He is just now starting to hobble around without crutches, but he has a heavy limp and there is no way he could do anything active yet. That's the part I hate. His quality of life is going to be really low for several months. I hate even thinking about that.
And lets not forget that he's an addict who will need pain medication. I had a family member who was addicted in that same way. With complete compassion I offer that the next several months are going to be extraordinarily hard for Tiger, over and above his rehab and physical recovery.

It sucks. I couldn't put weight on it for 3 months and frustration sets in because out of muscle memory you want to do things, then stop yourself because you can't and don't want to lengthen the recovery process.

And lets not forget that he's an addict who will need pain medication. I had a family member who was addicted in that same way. With complete compassion I offer that the next several months are going to be extraordinarily hard for Tiger, over and above his rehab and physical recovery.
I was worried about that when he had his back surgery in December. He is going to need a massive amount of pain meds for this. Might need to stay in Cali for the...

See my post above about TMZ having footage of him driving just before the accident. I watched it. He was not obviously driving fast or erratic at all. He may as well have been a soccer mom with kids in the back...

Then I doubt that hitting a curb would have caused a flip at low speed.

If anyone can pull off a recovery like Ben Hogan it's Tiger. Not my favorite person morally, but he's still a legend. Rooting for him.

If I'm Steinberg and see him like he was on the broadcast on Sunday I am assigning him a driver for the rest of the LA stint. I don't think he was on anything either but just based on how tired he looked that's not a good state to drive a car in, especially with hilly terrain and streets he doesn't daily drive on. The man looked like he needed a week of non-stop sleep. It's just difficult to not connect the accident with his look on Sunday. For him I almost hope this takes him out of competitive golf, he can concentrate on the rest of his life after that and not be in this insane pressure cooker.

I think you have stated a proper perspective. Let's hope first that he can recover. Without knowing the full extent of his injuries and his prognosis, I wouldn't get caught up in speculation as to whether he will play competitive golf again. Personally, I would expect that he will need to undergo further procedures as the surgery he has undergone was likely focused on saving his leg. And I can assume that with a comminuted fracture and additional injuries to his foot and ankle and having a rod, screws and pins in his leg and ankle, one surgery is not the end of this stage. Hopefully, there will be no infection from the compound fracture.

I don't think a lot of people understand how sloped California roads are near the coast. It is a very dramatic landscape. Completely different geologically from the East Coast.

The guy I work with knows that area well. He said that road does indeed have some serious grade and can be quite hazardous.

With a two year winning fight (finally!) with MCD and a automobile accident that broke 9 bones and sent me into 15 hours of life saving emergency surgery, golf post that has been both a blessing and a mystery.

I’ve lost some speed. But at least the loss of control both directions makes up for it. 😂

Back