Callaway Releases Big Bertha B21 Driver

Could there be any variance in how you grip the club, or in the device set up you show that could cause the slight closed face?

Not really. We sole the club and the shaft slides into a bracket that lines it up. All we are doing is measuring face angle.

In pictures that people take. Sure. Happens all of the time. See the PING G425 thread.

This is totally unscientific but I had my best strikes when I closed the face a slightly at address. I also lofted down from 10.5 to 9.5 because I was concerned with my normal draw flight, that I would overcook my draws and I thought a slighly open face would be helpful, but I ended up negating that a little by addressing it closed because it didn't seem to overcook my ball flights and for my swing, it started me on the right path.

So I have found the kryptonite for the B21.....20-30mph crosswinds! My FIR % wasn't good today, but a lot of drives went straight for about 200 yds, then hit a wall of cross wind and ended up in the rough :ROFLMAO:. I did however, hit my two longest drives today, one about 295, and one that rolled out to 330! I'm finding myself in positions that are requiring second shots that I haven't worked on in a long time. I love this thing!

If I got one of these I would cut it down an inch. Then I would be concerned about adding weight to the head would add too much spin. Not sure how that would work.

I cut mine down to 44.25, and didnt add any weight to the head. I can still feel the head and I even still choke down a little bit. I am still hitting the ball better (and longer) than my previous driver (Ping G410 SFT) and more accurate as well.

If I got one of these I would cut it down an inch. Then I would be concerned about adding weight to the head would add too much spin. Not sure how that would work.
I play mine at 44.5" and I got a 12g weight to replace the 5g standard. It is high launching a lowish spinning still. It's a carry monster.

Last edited:
I play mine at 44.75 with a heavier weight in the back, it’s not enough weight to alter spin, just swing weight.

So with the draw bias, is it harder to work the ball both ways? Do you wish the weighting was neutral?

So with the draw bias, is it harder to work the ball both ways? Do you wish the weighting was neutral?
I mean, if the weighting was neutral it’d basically be a sub zero, so nah.

As for working it, the point of this one is to help golfers eliminate the main miss for am’s, so it’s not really one that most are going to try that. Can I still hit a cut? Sure. But when I’m playing this one I’m trying to tame that left to right movement.

I bit the bullet and got a BB 10.5 blind. Going to be in FL. in 9 days so I thought it would be a perfect time to get used to it. I had a bunch of credits a GG so I thought why not.

This is my first Callaway driver in 4 years, so I really don't know what to expect, that's why all of the reading of reviews and what not. It's not the draw bias that made me look at the club(although that doesn't hurt), it was the clean look on the crown with the alignment aid/red line. I also like the sound better than most that I've heard on some YouTube reviews.
Still keeping my G400MAX though.

Welp, my driver is officially "lost" in the mail system somewhere. I got expedited shipping from GG since we are leaving this weekend..got a tracking number..and no movement out of Raleigh NC, but it does say it will be late with no time frame, however, even the post office has no idea where it's at other than it's somewhere in the system. This is not a bash the post office post, but it's just frustrating.

Welp, my driver is officially "lost" in the mail system somewhere. I got expedited shipping from GG since we are leaving this weekend..got a tracking number..and no movement out of Raleigh NC, but it does say it will be late with no time frame, however, even the post office has no idea where it's at other than it's somewhere in the system. This is not a bash the post office post, but it's just frustrating.
I had a similar problem with a cymbal I bought for my drumset shipped priority mail around Christmas. It sat in a mail processing facility in New Hampshire for like 10 days and then showed up on my doorstep out of the blue 2 weeks later than I expected it.

I had a similar problem with a cymbal I bought for my drumset shipped priority mail around Christmas. It sat in a mail processing facility in New Hampshire for like 10 days and then showed up on my doorstep out of the blue 2 weeks later than I expected it.
Yep about the same thing. Problem is that if I'm not here to accept it, they can't forward it to where I'm staying in FL., my order get shipped back to the shipper (GG) and then I have to reorder it again. PITA!

I play mine at 44.75 with a heavier weight in the back, it’s not enough weight to alter spin, just swing weight.
Heavier weight in the back can help influence a more positive AoA as well.

Went to the trackman today. Compared a 10.5 B21 lofted down to -1/D against my mavrik standard 9 degree N/S with a 10 degree weight in back.

Ball flights were very similar among the two with an average clubhead speed of 102. Ballspead around 150. AOA about 2 degrees up, in to out about 1-2 degrees. Launch angles around 12-14 with spin in mid 2000s. Basically perfect trajectory for both. This was for well hit strikes. Couldn't ask for better. Baby draw for most shots.

The difference came for off center strikes. The B21 is much more forgiving, and I always thought the Mavrik was pretty darn forgiving to begin with.

Gotta wait for things to thaw out to test on the course but I'm excited. Hit 12 fairways on driving holes on Spanish bay in the simulator.

If you naturally hit a draw and are worried about over drawing with the B21 I would definitely say try the club because it doesn't seem to do that for me.

Sent from my SM-G998U1 using Tapatalk

Over 5 months and the B21 is still in the bag. I am in such a comfort level with this driver I just let it rip. Drives are long and straight.

Going to hit the driving range tomorrow! The rain finally stopped!

Went to the trackman today. Compared a 10.5 B21 lofted down to -1/D against my mavrik standard 9 degree N/S with a 10 degree weight in back.

Ball flights were very similar among the two with an average clubhead speed of 102. Ballspead around 150. AOA about 2 degrees up, in to out about 1-2 degrees. Launch angles around 12-14 with spin in mid 2000s. Basically perfect trajectory for both. This was for well hit strikes. Couldn't ask for better. Baby draw for most shots.

The difference came for off center strikes. The B21 is much more forgiving, and I always thought the Mavrik was pretty darn forgiving to begin with.

Gotta wait for things to thaw out to test on the course but I'm excited. Hit 12 fairways on driving holes on Spanish bay in the simulator.

If you naturally hit a draw and are worried about over drawing with the B21 I would definitely say try the club because it doesn't seem to do that for me.

Great write-up, and as a former Mavrik user, I concur. Mavrik is outstanding, but just misses a bit of forgiveness that the B21 brings. I am going to have some fun once the snow melts, putting the B21 up against the Epic Max and Max LS. So many good options from Callaway.

Great write-up, and as a former Mavrik user, I concur. Mavrik is outstanding, but just misses a bit of forgiveness that the B21 brings. I am going to have some fun once the snow melts, putting the B21 up against the Epic Max and Max LS. So many good options from Callaway.
I forgot to mention that the reason I got the B21 was that with the Mavrik, occasionally I would open the face with my in to out swing and that results in a horrific push/fade, aka sliceroni.

There were a couple strikes with the B21 where my face was open to the path and all that resulted was a push. That's what I was hoping for with this club.

After thinking about it over the winter, I have decided that I am going to try the B21 this season. it checks the right boxes for me. I plan on hitting one in the next several weeks.

After thinking about it over the winter, I have decided that I am going to try the B21 this season. it checks the right boxes for me. I plan on hitting one in the next several weeks.
Like you I am waiting to hit one this spring, I think someone who knows a thing or two about clubs said "It's a Unicorn". :)

Like you I am waiting to hit one this spring, I think someone who knows a thing or two about clubs said "It's a Unicorn". :)

I generally keep the ball in play off the tee, but my usual shot is a high fade. I believe that because of the spin I am losing considerable distance. I want to see if this "unicorn" can change that.

I was at the driving range this morning with @J.B. Cobb III and hit this club for the first time. I had been itching to get this club since Ive heard all the feedback on it but then got scared away a little by the draw bias as Ive been suffering with a case of the snap hooks lately. Well I came away really impressed with it today! I can see why people have a confidence on the tee with it. It did not exacerbate my hook like I thought it might. It is something I will have to consider again!

This club was so impressive today! There was a point I piped 10-12 straight down the driving range. The best benefit this club is one that isn’t quantifiable by a flight scope. As a serial slicer of the ball with the driver, this club has given me so much confidence to just stand on the tee box and pull the trigger! My best swings are rewarded handsomely and my poor swings are minimized. The GS53 MAX put up a good fight today, but it’s gonna take a lot to usurp this miracle worker!

Last edited:
This club was so impressive today! There was a point I piped 10-12 straight down the driving range. The best benefit this club has is one that isn’t quantifiable by a flight scope. Has a serial slicer of the ball with the driver, this club has given me so much confidence to just stand on the tee box and pull the trigger! My best swings are rewarded handsomely and my poor swings are minimized. The GS53 MAX put up a good fight today, but it’s gonna take a lot to usurp this miracle worker!

Thanks for the feedback. As someone who is prone to hit weak fades, I appreciate it.

I've seen a fair bit of reviews on this. Seems pretty low spin for some and fairly high for others. I would like to see more head to head comparisons with the same shaft.

I've seen a fair bit of reviews on this. Seems pretty low spin for some and fairly high for others. I would like to see more head to head comparisons with the same shaft.
I believe that has to do with the forward cg location. For some folks that will lead to a steeper angle of attack.

Back