Does Tiger get to 83 now? It sounds like the injury is pretty bad.

Amazing he is sitting right next to Snead, and just might not break it..

Seemed like 83 was a given after he won't the Masters.

Reading the article it is obvious the writer dislikes or possibly even hates Tiger. He goes so far as to reference Tigers father getting a contract while Tiger was an amateur like it has something to do with this accident. Notably absent from this journalists article is any reference to this stretch of road , its condition and as some have posted a spot at least to those familiar with it knew it to be hazardous and potentially dangerous. This journalist also states as if its a fact that “ leaving no skid marks to indicate that he applied his breaks, then rolled up an embankment” falsely claiming as fact that he never applied or tried to apply his breaks. I doubt this journalist is a certified accident reconstruction expert but i would think at the very least he would have consulted one before claiming as fact things he knows nothing about. The simple fact he claims Tiger without applying his brakes “ rolled up an embankment” when everything i have seen talks about the severity of the downhill slope of the road including the embankment has a significant drop think i read somewhere up to 300 feet ( to the point those truck ramps you see on hilly roads were installed ) shows he is clueless .I dont know all the facts but there is enough present to give rise to a variety of explanations including his speed coupled with his unfamiliarity with the road which in and by itself could cause vehicle to increase speed as it went downhill coupled with a one or two second distraction which could have come in any form leading to this accident. How many can honestly say they have never exceeded the posted speed limit, never dropped something and reached for it ,never been distracted by a phone or something. A second or two distraction could lead to an accident. How many have never caught themselves swerving or not seeing something you should have seen until the last second and then had a near miss. None of that would make someone a bad person because these things do happen. I have no problem with people discussing and having theories. I have no problem with anyone posting thoughts and theories here. I do have a problem with a “journalist” in a national worldwide read publication writing things like this person did, stating not as possibilities but as fact things they were wrong about , know nothing about and obviously did absolutely nothing to get a full picture of the facts. I dont know exactly what happened that day or what the cause or multiple causes or contributing factors were and hopefully we will ger a clearer picture from the experts , the contents of the vehicles computer that stores information and a full and complete accident reconstruction As im sure you can tell i think what that “ journalist” did was unfair and it bothers me.

Moderate opinions don’t generate many clicks.

An early morning tweet from Dr. Mallon:

His injury is just 2 fractures but severe So i think he WILL be asking himself if he can play golf again.

Seemed like 83 was a given after he won't the Masters.
If he wins on the PGA Tour again after this, I think it would be a top one or two comeback story in professional golf. Hogan’s injuries may have been more severe, but he was much younger. At this point, he is far from the Alex Smith story, but I just don’t see him winning again.

I am a sportsmedicine trained doctor and too early to tell. Alex Smith is playing QB after 18 surgeries and others have come back and Woods is an athlete with very strong will and access to the best of care. He was treated at a top tier trauma center. Don’t bet against him IMO.

Ha! I knew you to be a doc.

I agree. Do not count him out. Ever. Ever.

I am a sportsmedicine trained doctor and too early to tell. Alex Smith is playing QB after 18 surgeries and others have come back and Woods is an athlete with very strong will and access to the best of care. He was treated at a top tier trauma center. Don’t bet against him IMO.
You have far more knowledge than any of us. How much difference will it make in the recovery process that Tiger is 45, compared to Alex Smith’s 36 years. Being an avid University of Utah fan, I have followed Alex’s story closely and it has to be the one of the most amazing stories of determination I have ever heard. Tiger likely will not have the complications, but in terms of regaining a golf game, 45 seems awfully old.

His injury is just 2 fractures but severe So i think he WILL be asking himself if he can play golf again.

No.

That is not Tiger. Let me say a couple things I have observed. If you disagree that’s fine.

1. Tiger will determine if he’ll play and/or compete again. It’s his choice.

2. If Tiger decides he'll compete again, he’ll compete. Not compete for the cut. He’ll compete to win. Might not be every week but at least once a year there’ll be a red shirt Sunday.

Does Tiger get to 83 now? It sounds like the injury is pretty bad.

Amazing he is sitting right next to Snead, and just might not break it..
At his age, injury history and this accident, if he were to come back and manage to win ANY PGA Tour event, he would be considered basically superhuman.

When he returns, he may find the walk is the biggest issue, and then he may go the Casey Martin route.....

You have far more knowledge than any of us. How much difference will it make in the recovery process that Tiger is 45, compared to Alex Smith’s 36 years. Being an avid University of Utah fan, I have followed Alex’s story closely and it has to be the one of the most amazing stories of determination I have ever heard. Tiger likely will not have the complications, but in terms of regaining a golf game, 45 seems awfully old.

Age is a factor but I think it depends more on how severe exactly the multiple injuries were and any complications in the short term as far as playing within a year or two. What has been put on in the press are the basics of the injuries and not the intricate details that will drive how fast he recovers and to what extent. However, I strongly believe he has incredible drive and access to the very best care/rehab and I honestly expect him to return as a pro golfer at some point on what put out so far, unless he sustains a severe and likely unexpected complication. How successful he remains to be seen and may be in part due to any sustained limitations of the injuries, the long layoff and the fact he was not performing at the Tiger Woods usual level before the crash. Of course that is just the physical part, perhaps the injury has changed his mental outlook. No one could blame him though if he said after the injuries I am not coming back to the tour as least for a long, long while. I was a past medical leader of ortho and rehab devices area at FDA and the advances in care and technology today are simply incredible in that field. Overall, if I was asked to bet I would lay it on him coming back to the tour at least someday. Winning? Anyone but Tiger I would strongly lean against but again would not bet again this person after his incredible career and coming back before.

Last edited:
I know everyone wants to see Tiger play again and I certainly get that.
Even before this accident he was recovering from yet another surgery.
I hope he has the courage to never play again instead of doing further damage to his body. To accept his truly amazing career and be done with competitive Golf.....
In his own mind is there a 'POSSIBLE' desire to play golf again.. Now the eyes of the world are already looking to him... when can he play again?. That pressure has to be crushing. I'm all for just leaving the guy alone and letting him enjoy life as best he can.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

Last edited:
When he returns, he may find the walk is the biggest issue, and then he may go the Casey Martin route.....
Tiger would play a bag full of game improvement irons and hybrids before he would ever entertain taking a cart in a PGA tour event. If Tiger can't play 18 and walk, he will not play.

I was listening to a radio broadcast of Real Golf Radio this morning. They had a noted medical authority on the show and this was is point. He felt like there is a good chance that Tiger can get back to playing at a high level, but the pain of walking four days in a row, up and down hills may make it impossible to compete on Tour. He spoke of some other unnamed former Tour player who had similar injuries and ended his career because he could not do the walking.

Tiger would play a bag full of game improvement irons and hybrids before he would ever entertain taking a cart in a PGA tour event. If Tiger can't play 18 and walk, he will not play.
Should read "if Tiger can't play 18 and win, he will not play." He's made it very clear over the years that if he feels like he isn't in shape enough to win, he won't bother showing up. He'd probably crawl from hole to hole if he knew his swing was good enough to win. He practically did in the US Open.

Should read "if Tiger can't play 18 and win, he will not play." He's made it very clear over the years that if he feels like he isn't in shape enough to win, he won't bother showing up. He'd probably crawl from hole to hole if he knew his swing was good enough to win. He practically did in the US Open.
That U.S. Open round with Rocco is an indelible reminder of Tiger’s willpower.

I believe the Sheriff said it appeared the vehicle was traveling at high speed.

All I know, and we all know, is that **** happens. We will find out eventually. I can wait.

It's terrible that this occurred, especially as Tiger was rounding out as a good human and we started to appreciate him in that way, as well as a great golfer.
I am sure he was at least going 60 but that hill I think you hit well over 60 if you are going the speed limit at the top and don't even hit the gas once.

I don't care how old Alex Smith was. He was seriously close to facing amputation because of a severe bacterial infection in his leg. Coming back from that to play QB in the NFL is as you have stated, one of the most amazing stories of determination

I don't care how old Alex Smith was. He was seriously close to facing amputation because of a severe bacterial infection in his leg. Coming back from that to play QB in the NFL is as you have stated, one of the most amazing stories of determination
As others have said, the comeback player of the year trophy should be named after Alex Smith. I don’t know of another story like it. Ever...

Nobody knows nothin'. Don't bet against him? He's finished? Nobody knows nothin'.

The story continues to evolve. Initially, it was reported that Tiger was coherent and able to converse with the first responders. I just read an ESPN report that said that Tiger was unconscious when the first witness arrived at the scene. This witness was a neighbor who heard the crash and went to investigate. He submitted an affidavit that stated that Tiger was unconscious and unresponsive when he arrived at the scene. This is not necessarily inconsistent with the sheriff reporting that Tiger was conscious. It is possible that Tiger regained is awareness between the time that the civilian encountered him and first responders arrived at the scene, but it is a new twist to the story.

Apparently, authorities obtained a search warrant to take possession of the black box, based upon the probable cause created by the affidavit. This makes me wonder why there was not probable cause to get a blood sample for toxicology testing. I wonder if some decision makers just decided not to go there. I wonder if Tiger were an ordinary citizen, would the authorities have gotten a blood sample.

The story continues to evolve. Initially, it was reported that Tiger was coherent and able to converse with the first responders. I just read an ESPN report that said that Tiger was unconscious when the first witness arrived at the scene. This witness was a neighbor who heard the crash and went to investigate. He submitted an affidavit that stated that Tiger was unconscious and unresponsive when he arrived at the scene. This is not necessarily inconsistent with the sheriff reporting that Tiger was conscious. It is possible that Tiger regained is awareness between the time that the civilian encountered him and first responders arrived at the scene, but it is a new twist to the story.

Apparently, authorities obtained a search warrant to take possession of the black box, based upon the probable cause created by the affidavit. This makes me wonder why there was not probable cause to get a blood sample for toxicology testing. I wonder if some decision makers just decided not to go there. I wonder if Tiger were an ordinary citizen, would the authorities have gotten a blood sample.

I would be interested in what was the probable cause alleged in the affidavit for the search warrant for the black box. Reckless driving? But, nothing as far as impairment to give pc for a blood draw?

Back