Murray

Reaction score
Handicap
Hello, I am hoping someone can help!

I'm looking for a wedge that will mainly be used in green-side bunkers, flop shots and short pitching - so most of the time the face will be open. For this reason I was looking at a 58 degree Cleveland CG15 DSG, but I always thought bunker shots were easier if the club head had a higher bounce. So not sure if the DSG would be any good out of the sand? Any advice will be helpful

Thanks for reading

I'm looking for a wedge that will mainly be used in green-side bunkers, flop shots and short pitching - so most of the time the face will be open. For this reason I was looking at a 58 degree Cleveland CG15 DSG, but I always thought bunker shots were easier if the club head had a higher bounce. So not sure if the DSG would be any good out of the sand? Any advice will be helpful

Thanks for reading

I think it all depends on you and your game, if you play in fluffy sand more bounce is better, firmer sand less bounce is better. But Tiger uses 6 degrees of bounce on his sand wedge and lob wedge. Phil uses 10 degrees of bouce on his wedges except for his highest lofted wedge. Luke Donald 9 degrees of bounce on his 54 and 5 degrees of bounce on his 60 and he is the best bunker and short game player on tour. Its all personal preference and how you swing the golf club. And you dont need less bouce to hit flop shots that is a myth. Tell me more about your swing, picker or digger?

Thanks for the reply.

I would say I am a picker rather than a digger.
I have a 52 wedge which has 12 degrees of bounce which I am fairly happy with, and that's mainly used for full or 3/4 shots. This new wedge will rarely make any full shots, though - I would suspect anyway.

As for type of sand, I play all different types of courses so it can vary from week to week.

The reason why I liked the sound of the Cleveland DSG club was that it works better/just as well when the club fac is opened

Sorry, I've never used the DSG. I know there are a few folks around that can help out when they see this.

Thanks for the reply.

I would say I am a picker rather than a digger.
I have a 52 wedge which has 12 degrees of bounce which I am fairly happy with, and that's mainly used for full or 3/4 shots. This new wedge will rarely make any full shots, though - I would suspect anyway.

As for type of sand, I play all different types of courses so it can vary from week to week.

The reason why I liked the sound of the Cleveland DSG club was that it works better/just as well when the club fac is opened

I think that DSG will be fine, I think the effective bounce is 8 degrees, I would also look at the Vokey 58 degree wedge with 8 degrees bouce and also the Taylormade XFT 58 degree wedge they both feature C grinds on the sole, i think you might benefit more from XFT wedge in my opinion, but I think the DSG wedge will be fine, you can call cleveland and talk to them or even go through their online wedge fitting system, I think its a pretty good tool.

The DSG will allow you to open up that club face more easily. I think this is a good idea. Plus as you open the face and put the hands back a bit you will be adding bounce to the club. I think though in the case that you are describing, the proper grind is probably most important. Plus, I really do believe that the OEMs make equiptment that is best for the majority of golfers. If the 6* bounce DSG is the only offering, you can bet that they have done their research and found that this combo works for most golfers in most situations.

I think that DSG will be fine, I think the effective bounce is 8 degrees, I would also look at the Vokey 58 degree wedge with 8 degrees bouce and also the Taylormade XFT 58 degree wedge they both feature C grinds on the sole, i think you might benefit more from XFT wedge in my opinion, but I think the DSG wedge will be fine, you can call cleveland and talk to them or even go through their online wedge fitting system, I think its a pretty good tool.

I can comment on the xFT 58* 12* bounce C grind wedge, as that is what is in my bag. I love it!!! I love the grind they put on it. It makes it a very versatile club.

I use a 56* Vokey with 10* bounce myself

Callaway's 58 degree C-Grind has 10 degrees of bounce as well.

Thanks for the info, guys.
I think I will opt for the Cleveland CG15 DSG as it seems a pretty versatile club, and Mustng seems confident it will be suitable for my needs :)

Callaway's 58 degree C-Grind has 10 degrees of bounce as well.

I love the Jaws with the C-grind, it has a higher bounce but with the C-grind it plays like a lower bounce wedge, its very versatile and very easy to hit numerous shots with it, opens up like a charm and spins like crazy.

The new CG16s have a C-grind as well. I just got myself a 58* low-bounce (8* bounce).

I'm curious about something concerning wedges. I bought a 60* with I think maybe 10 bounce, now I use it for flopping or pitching and is mainly my 100 yard club. My question is why would someone want/use a 62 degree or even a 64? What purpose do they hold?

I'm curious about something concerning wedges. I bought a 60* with I think maybe 10 bounce, now I use it for flopping or pitching and is mainly my 100 yard club. My question is why would someone want/use a 62 degree or even a 64? What purpose do they hold?

to fill gaps like any other wedge and sometimes people dont like opening up the face so going with a little more loft will help get the result of opening the face up, plus if your on a course with some really deep bunkers or allot of trees around the greens it will also help getting up out of the bunker and over trees, it really just all depends on the person using them, hope that helps

You may also want to consider the Mizuno MPT-11's as well....good amount of bounce and loft options.

Here's my review of them
http://thehackersparadise.com/home/?p=11246

I was originally looking at those but when I read about the DSG I thought it would suit the types of shots I would be playing. And now I have a better understanding about C-Grind, I'm looking at the Jaws a TM wedges.

I shall read the review now. Thanks, Hanks

Thanks for reading

I use a 60 degree 8 bounce out of the sand and it works perfectly, Cleveland 588, also have a Mizuno MP-R 54 with a 10 bounce that I will carry sometimes. I hit lob shots out of the sand with that 60 and hit the pin once in a while. You don't have to open the face with the 60 but I do that with the 54, not much, and none when the sand is firm or damp at all.

64 will go almost straight up in the air if you put a flop swing on it. I have one but I rarely use it.

Thanks for the info, guys.
I think I will opt for the Cleveland CG15 DSG as it seems a pretty versatile club, and Mustng seems confident it will be suitable for my needs :)

I suggest you go try out different wedges and then make up your mind. There are so many to choose from. It's all feel with these types of shots.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I suggest you go try out different wedges and then make up your mind. There are so many to choose from. It's all feel with these types of shots.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's what I normally do with any club but there isn't really anywhere that I can try out wedges in bunkers. Going to have a look at some tonight, though! :)

64 will go almost straight up in the air if you put a flop swing on it. I have one but I rarely use it.

I'd hate to see waht teh Dr. Knockdown 80 degree wedge will do then.

Thanks for reading

I have been testing a 56* Niblick for short bunker shots. As close to cheating as you can get in my brief time with the club.

I think you might be right about the TM, actually. It's the 12 degree bounce that makes it more appealing than the Cleveland, Callaway or Titleist. Unsure about the groove plate, though.

Back