Finally got some good outside golf in. Per shot scope the 4 rounds I played my driver was averaging 4 yards more than the G400. But the biggest thing was this: course had 8 driver holes and first round 7/8, second round 8/8, 3rd round 6/8, and 4th round was 8/8. The 3 drives that missed the fairway was because I was trying to play Tiger lines. Didn't lose a ball or hit one OB. The first two rounds were played in about 12-15mph winds and 45 degrees. Rounds 3,4 were in 55 degree weather (yes I was in shorts and a hoody 😁).

On the sound note, I hit a G425 max in 10.5 and G425 lst 10.5 because I wanted to see what the ball flights were with higher lofts and because why not. My G425 was noticably quieter than the ones I hit from the clubhouse and I haven't put hot melt in it. So I get why people say it's loud. I'm not sure why the one I have sounds more muted but I'll take it. The club pro even noticed and commented that hot melt really helped the sound but I said I hadn't done it yet. So 🤷

Finally got some good outside golf in. Per shot scope the 4 rounds I played my driver was averaging 4 yards more than the G400. But the biggest thing was this: course had 8 driver holes and first round 7/8, second round 8/8, 3rd round 6/8, and 4th round was 8/8. The 3 drives that missed the fairway was because I was trying to play Tiger lines. Didn't lose a ball or hit one OB. The first two rounds were played in about 12-15mph winds and 45 degrees. Rounds 3,4 were in 55 degree weather (yes I was in shorts and a hoody 😁).

On the sound note, I hit a G425 max in 10.5 and G425 lst 10.5 because I wanted to see what the ball flights were with higher lofts and because why not. My G425 was noticably quieter than the ones I hit from the clubhouse and I haven't put hot melt in it. So I get why people say it's loud. I'm not sure why the one I have sounds more muted but I'll take it. The club pro even noticed and commented that hot melt really helped the sound but I said I hadn't done it yet. So 🤷

That’s some impressive FIR numbers along with more distance. As for the hot melt Ping does add it to heads on stock builds as well as per request, this was told to me from an actual Ping rep on the phone (top notch customer service) he said it all depends on the shaft, grip, etc. is selected and what is needed to get it to the stock swing weight of I believe D4 (don’t quote me on that number) based on those factors. I’ve actually experienced this with the G400 Max as well (club hoing and reverting back) and was pleasantly surprised of the much more muted sound.

That’s some impressive FIR numbers along with more distance. As for the hot melt Ping does add it to heads on stock builds as well as per request, this was told to me from an actual Ping rep on the phone (top notch customer service) he said it all depends on the shaft, grip, etc. is selected and what is needed to get it to the stock swing weight of I believe D4 (don’t quote me on that number) based on those factors. I’ve actually experienced this with the G400 Max as well (club hoing and reverting back) and was pleasantly surprised of the much more muted sound.
Could very well be and would make some sense of it all. I ordered mine with the orange and the ones I hit had the alta that I switched out to my project x Smoke.

Will be hitting these at a demo day on 3/20. I can’t wait to hear the sound of the driver. I usually don’t get put off by sound, but these have me intrigued to see if I can tolerate. Also interested in the irons. I got along with the G15s several iterations ago and want to see how this stacks up.
When I finally got to see them I couldn’t wait to hit the max just to hear how bad or loud it was. To me it wasn’t nearly as bad as I expected, they didn’t have the LST yet so didn’t get to try that one. Unless you are sensitive to sound which sounds like you are not I don’t think these will bother you. Looking forward to hearing about your results with them

Louis....gaming that........ 👀👀 .........

1614727624340.png

Alta CB shaft?

Could very well be and would make some sense of it all. I ordered mine with the orange and the ones I hit had the alta that I switched out to my project x Smoke.

Same here Tensei AV 65S orange raw. SS low100’s-105 with 10.5 Max head is $$ for me. Such a great shaft and with that head 🔥

I find it strange that the Ping booklet that explains the adapter doesn't mention anything about face angle.
It's a single cog that adjusts lie and loft - but we know based on science that face angle is also affected...right?

I have my 5 wood in the "Flat -1" setting. So I'm pretty sure it's set at 3* flat, 2* open face, -1 loft.

I hit the Ping G425 fairways and hybrids the other day. I now have an ordered 3 LST and 5 wood coming my way. The hybrids are very nice too but after my gapping session I kept a 4 iron as it kept my gaps tighter. I didnt mind the turbulators but these are all sorts of shades of G25 :love:. They are clean! Off the deck I have a tendency to get careless across the face on my fairway woods, and the GCQuad numbers were showing that even on my 'mishits' I wasnt being punished as much, Im a believer in spinsistency. So just like the driver was, it came down to better dispersion, more predictable distances, and I found it just as easy to hit off the mat as the peg. Overall I'm very impressed with the G425 line. (on a side note hit a Callaway speed driver - those are no joke!)

Ping had a big write up about Louis playing the alta. It's pretty cool!!!

Sure, they can play anything.

But I wonder if that's the best fit.:unsure:

Sure, they can play anything.

But I wonder if that's the best fit.:unsure:
With an additional 8 grams of weight in the butt end of the shaft, Ping’s Tour team was able to rectify the launch and spin issue by altering the internal weight setup, placing more glue towards the face. The extreme counter-balanced shaft also allowed for more glue to help tune the overall sound at impact.

Working with Ping’s retail stiff flex shaft, Oosthuizen began launching the ball 1 degree higher with 2,200 to 2,300 RPMs of spin — an improvement that led him to give G425 the green light.

With practically every player on Tour using a Tour-level shaft, Oosthuizen was an anomaly with Altra CB Slate at Concession. In fact, Oates confirmed Oosthuizen is the first Tour pro to use the stiff flex product on Tour.

The closest Ping had ever gotten to a stiff flex retail product going into play before last week was when Hunter Mahan played an extra stiff Alta proto version in the company’s G10.

“Our engineering team was fired up,” Oates said. “I don’t think they ever thought they’d design their stock stiff product and have Louis Oosthuizen play it at a WGC event. That shaft is literally designed for that head. It matches perfectly.”

sounds like they got it fit to what Louis was looking for

With an additional 8 grams of weight in the butt end of the shaft, Ping’s Tour team was able to rectify the launch and spin issue by altering the internal weight setup, placing more glue towards the face. The extreme counter-balanced shaft also allowed for more glue to help tune the overall sound at impact.

Working with Ping’s retail stiff flex shaft, Oosthuizen began launching the ball 1 degree higher with 2,200 to 2,300 RPMs of spin — an improvement that led him to give G425 the green light.

With practically every player on Tour using a Tour-level shaft, Oosthuizen was an anomaly with Altra CB Slate at Concession. In fact, Oates confirmed Oosthuizen is the first Tour pro to use the stiff flex product on Tour.

The closest Ping had ever gotten to a stiff flex retail product going into play before last week was when Hunter Mahan played an extra stiff Alta proto version in the company’s G10.

“Our engineering team was fired up,” Oates said. “I don’t think they ever thought they’d design their stock stiff product and have Louis Oosthuizen play it at a WGC event. That shaft is literally designed for that head. It matches perfectly.”

sounds like they got it fit to what Louis was looking for

Lots of adjustments not readily available for retail peeps.:oops:

Lots of adjustments not readily available for retail peeps.:oops:
Ping will add hotmelt as requested when the order is placed.

This 5 wood is absolutely tasty. Was hitting 150 ball speed on my Garmin G80 (no idea how accurate this thing is) with it, and my driver was 153-155. Impressive.

Nice! Have you tried the 3 wood or do you typically not play one? I was leaning toward getting a SIM2 Ti 3 wood, hit it with multiple shafts, ball going a bit left which is not historically my miss. Take a couple swings with my G400 and bam, there's what I'm looking for. Seems like I just get along with Ping woods right now.

Nice! Have you tried the 3 wood or do you typically not play one? I was leaning toward getting a SIM2 Ti 3 wood, hit it with multiple shafts, ball going a bit left which is not historically my miss. Take a couple swings with my G400 and bam, there's what I'm looking for. Seems like I just get along with Ping woods right now.
Wish I could help but I don't 3 wood anymore.

It sounds like my LST driver showed up at the fitter, has been adjusted and should be mailed out to me hopefully today. After hitting 3 hooks in to the water last weekend I can't wait to see if the setup we went with really can prevent the left side misses for me.

It sounds like my LST driver showed up at the fitter, has been adjusted and should be mailed out to me hopefully today. After hitting 3 hooks in to the water last weekend I can't wait to see if the setup we went with really can prevent the left side misses for me.

Is part of the set up with the weight in the toe position? I too suffer from hooking and even the dreaded duck hooks from time to time and interested to know if fitters are adopting this to remedy. I really need to get to the range and tinker with the settings on my Max as I’m sure I’m missing out on all the benefits they can provide.

Is part of the set up with the weight in the toe position? I too suffer from hooking and even the dreaded duck hooks from time to time and interested to know if fitters are adopting this to remedy. I really need to get to the range and tinker with the settings on my Max as I’m sure I’m missing out on all the benefits they can provide.

Yes he did. I just looked at my build sheet and it says fade weight -1 which I'm assuming means the weight is moved over toward the toe one spot.

It was interesting talking to the fitter because he wouldn't even hand me a club that wasn't adjustable. He really believes in the adjustability, particularly for someone like me that isn't overly consistent and throughout the year may go from drawing to fading without trying. He loves that I can make little tweaks with the weights throughout the year.

For someone more established he's much more open to a non adjustable driver as they can typically control their swing enough throughout a season to not need that adjustability as much.

Are your courses open already? Interested to see how that lst pans out. Looks so mean.

Are your courses open already? Interested to see how that lst pans out. Looks so mean.
They opened last weekend but today is probably the last day they'll need open for a bit, we have some cold weather and snow coming again.

I hear you on the looks. Hopefully the performance on the course matches.

Here we go!!!

404D8993-7FBB-4A78-AD68-E95A128D5830.jpeg948AB436-E866-4F50-BD70-B46BF377C1C6.jpeg

This initial range session left me very encouraged for the season. On good strikes the ball just wanted to go straight or have a little fade. It was absolutely perfect. On those toey, low spin strikes the ball of course did a little dive left but didn't appear to be near as bad of a left miss as normally expected. It seemed to keep the ball in play pretty well. I'm thinking that may be due to the adjustable weight being toward the toe. There was definitely a decent loss of distance on those strikes.

Distance wise I was seeing the ball land in spots I normally hit during the middle of the season. I left my other driver at home so I couldn't compare but distance seemed on par with what I'm used to.

Unfortunately we have snow and cold weather coming so I won't be hitting the course any time soon but I'm extremely excited for my first outing.

Here was one of the cute little cuts I hit. It started out left and came back over toward the end.

View attachment trim.3A1F4842-F672-4931-8928-BDDF7A5A9A7D.MOV

Nice @KEV
How would you describe the sound in that video?

Nice @KEV

It's weird, I think the sound on the video is a bit different than what I noticed while actually hitting. While hitting it reminded me of the old school, titanium metallic sound from the past. It was for sure louder than the carbon drivers we are so used to these days but I was expecting it to be louder with the hard range balls. It kind of reminded me of the Epic Flash, louder then what we're used to but not overbearing.

Now if this was the Max you would have seen me with sound headphones on :ROFLMAO:.

Reactions: JB
Nice @KEV
Man I just watched more video from tonight and it really sounds tingy and metallic on video. I didn't noticed it to that extent in person. I'm curious how the sound changes when I use my regular gamer ball when I get out.

Back