New Family of TaylorMade Spider Putters

Jman

Here for the Conversation
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
SOFTCAPPED
Quick, what is the word for something that most human beings on planet earth are absolutely terrified of but also one of the most famous putter lines of all time?

Well, of course it’s Spider. 

TaylorMade-Spider-X-HydroBlast-Putter-1.jpg

In 2021 it definitely looks like TaylorMade is committed to putting their putter focus towards the iconic name and being honest with the debacle that was the Truss line, and it is a pretty solid game plan to get that taste out of consumers mouths. But rather than just a refresh of one variation, the mothership is dropping four members of the Spider family for 2021. 

Let’s take a closer look at each. 

TaylorMade Spider X Hydro Blast

First is the new...

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:
really liking the SR. ill definitely be trying that one

only thing thats kept me from TM putters is the PureRoll insert. ive never been a fan of them

Love the look of the X Hydro Blast. A much cleaner version of the Daddy Long Legs 2.0 that I’ve been hitting a lot of putts with each day recently. The CT Tour shaft is a smart offering on a premium putter line as well.

The S and SR look good, but they don’t look like Spiders to me. I wonder if they are trying to change “Spider” from a shape to a brand. Probably a good move.

The S and SR look good, but they don’t look like Spiders to me. I wonder if they are trying to change “Spider” from a shape to a brand. Probably a good move.

They have done that in the past too. Heck there was even a spider blade putter about 6-7 years ago. I do think it's smart to expand it because spider is their bread & butter when it comes to putters.

Sounds like some very solid additions to the line. Of these 4, my personal preference would be the Hydro Blast.

Digging the look on the Hydro Blast. Lot of interesting putter options to ponder this year...

Kinda like to try the SR, I love my Spider, but not being able to pick up the ball o\r my mark like i can with a blade is what i miss

Those look a LOT better than the Truss.

I like the talk of their softest insert in the X. It was one thing I didn't really enjoy about that putter. So maybe it becomes an option in this iteration.

What I really want to try is the insert thats in the EX. That co-molded insert with TPU and aluminum beams. First time they've done that so I'm certainly interested to at least give it a roll, even if it's not my desired shape.

I like the Spider EX & the new finish. When I first saw the bottom "button" on the sole below the insertion point of the shaft, I thought of the old "Bore Thru" shaft that some of the OEM's used to do. Not necessarily in putters, but old Titleist drivers used to have the bore thru shaft.

These types of shapes and alignment lines appeal to me. I also do better with some toe hang and like the flow neck. With past spider putters, except for the sort of interesting, sort of strange fcg, I wasn’t keen on the insert. I’ll give these some rolls. From pics I like the more compact ex.

Great additions to the lineup IMO. The EX looks like one that would be easy for me to align.

They are finally addressing one of the biggest issues with the spider putters... chipping..

The Spider X is still the only one that appeals to me.

Give me the S or SR. The Hydro Blast styling is hot!

@Jman, do you have any photos is the co-molded pure roll insert?

That hydro blast finish looks great! I think the regular X is still my favorite but like that they are adding models.

The SR and Spider Hydro blast are right up my alley! Interesting that the launches are a month apart.

Really liking the looks of the EX and S model. I am always a big fan of adjustable clubs and the S model with the option of different weighted bars would be fun to test out.

I have been a long time user of the Spider line of putters, starting with the Monza and currently gaming the original Ghost Spider since 2011. The Spider X Hydro Blast is the one that catches my eye. I will give it a test if I get the opportunity. I do like the new finish and am very interested in the insert.

I like the shape of the spiders but I have never been fond of taylormades insert...

the copper one or whatever was decent but just feels off whenever I try one out. Granted I do have a weird thing with Taylor made.... trying to get over it haha

If I had to pick one it would be the sr, but honestly the rest don't appeal to me at all. But performance could sway me a bit to the sr if it worked

Give me the S or SR. The Hydro Blast styling is hot!

@Jman, do you have any photos is the co-molded pure roll insert?
Nope, not quality ones. Looks like the white insert with aluminum grooves coming through based off the TM photos we are dealing with

I like the shape of the spiders but I have never been fond of taylormades insert...

the copper one or whatever was decent but just feels off whenever I try one out. Granted I do have a weird thing with Taylor made.... trying to get over it haha
Their insert has historically lagged (no pun intended haha) behind others, it’s always been the only true hiccup imo

Back