Review Tour Edge EXS 220 Driver Review

Thanks. The comment on the ventus, I heard from a TEE dealer, he liked it more than the ventus blue (i think he said, I'll find the comment and update if different).

Thanks. The comment on the ventus, I heard from a TEE dealer, he liked it more than the ventus blue (i think he said, I'll find the comment and update if different).
No worries! It’s a good shaft for the SPEEDTESTED segment they picked it for, and hits the needs of a he biggest part of the bell curve...it’s just crappy that Fuji left the same graphics on it, it’s a bad look.

As for the driver though? It’s amazing. Was probably the sleeper of the year last year for all around playability and performance. I enjoyed reviewing it and playing it for sure, just ended up with the Pro as a better fit.

So here we go. I can't give a thorough review as yet, but did hit some balls yesterday, into a strong wind that was either mostly our face or blowing left to right. First swings on a real ball since July/Aug of 2020 (and even then I only played 3 or 4 rounds in 2020). Mine is the 10.5 degree head, not sure what the best setting is for me. Down side, dropped the head while changing shafts - no real damage, though getting the shafts in and out seemed a bit more difficult post drop, landed or bounced around on the point where shaft is attached to club. Drop was due to arthritis in both hands/wrists/thumbs, I seem to drop a lot of things lately spilled a cup of coffee this week too - same reason you think you have a firm grip and surprise you don't.

Everything I hit went right, NO slices mostly pushed or faded the ball - I am sure it's my swing not the club.

Used the smoke shaft mostly - a good swing felt good flew well - no balloons, distance, no idea due to fading everything. I do think it's just about the equal of the G400 Max - based on last year memories not head to head.

I also used the Ventus shaft - which is R flex - same thing, higher ball flight and still pushes - maybe even a bit wild - more right? (is that possible)?

I also hit the exs220 15 degree 3 wood - SUPER easy to hit off the deck, the few straight balls that I hit with it, seemed to carry about 190-200 then roll out further - again, lower overall ball flight than I am accustomed to (a good thing for this club). Would easily be a trusted backup driver on days when the drive is not behaving. It also has the smoke shaft.

So, I hope to hit the range again next week and have my first 2021 tee time for next week too, will bring both drivers and if opportunity allows will hit them side by side, but given that my tee time/day are the first of the year with expected great weather that may change (if the parking lot is full the G400 Max will stay in the car). To me I can hit range balls all day, but testing is not real until I hit game balls into real golf holes (where I know my distances and how the ball I play reacts vice range balls).

Suffice it say, the club (both of them actually - driver and 3 wood) are fine clubs.

So, one question why, if both shafts are direct from Tour Edge is the Smoke about 1/2" (eyeballed) shorter than the ventus?

Visit #2 to the range. wow what a difference. Hit everything straight no uglies hit a few irons thin and fat. But main reason to be there was driver testing.

Exs driver straight long carry about 215-220. I'm pleased, point and shoot, and to my ears quieter than the g400 max. On that, the max was not as deep, even though it was set to 10 degrees and it was not as tight dispersion wise. It was also ok, no uglies, just not as deep, and to my hearing aided ears, louder. I can see myself hitting the exs another 10 to 15 yards on course with real balls.

Now some reasons. Th ping is a 9.5 degree head, the exs 10.5. The ping had old reliable aldila nv 65 regular. The exs hzdrus smoke stiff, which seemed to lower overall ball flight, which I liked. I felt like I could swing more aggressively.

The 15 degree exs 3 wood long low flight, same hzdrus shaft, but hitting off mats maybe reason for lower flight.

Game on tomorrow add I'm playing golf, for the first time since July/august.

No worries! It’s a good shaft for the SPEEDTESTED segment they picked it for, and hits the needs of a he biggest part of the bell curve...it’s just crappy that Fuji left the same graphics on it, it’s a bad look.

I own the EXS and had concluded it did nothing for me. I gave it to my brother-in-law to test and the shaft broke. TEE replaced it with the stock ventus shaft in the 220 and honestly I was shocked by the improvement it made. I already had a new driver on order before i figured out how much the shaft helped me with the EXS. In late Spring, I will test the old EXS vs the driver in my bag and ensure i have made the right choice. Good shaft for me for sure.

I also have the ventus stock shaft. The Hzrdus works better for me.

I had my eye on the Cobra Radspeed driver this year, but at the price they are selling these certified pre-owned EXS 220's from TE, I gave in and ordered one today. Can't wait to give it a shot. I had a TE EX10 driver previously I picked up used that I hit pretty well, but the stiff shaft didn't suit me. At the price of these pre-owned, seems like a no-brainer to give it a shot.

I'll be sure to post feedback in the next few weeks. Great time of year for those of us who are budget shoppers to get some great gear.

I have been using the TE EXS 220 for the last couple of months, and I am totally satisfied with the play. My ball speed, launch angles, etc have been right on point with my other normal gamers. It's an impressive club, especially for the price.

For the past few rounds I've been playing the EXS 220 driver with HZRDS 6.0 shaft. This driver's head shape reminds me of the year 2016 Mizuno JPX EZ . Both the 220 and JPX have shallow face heights which I believe for many players is more forgiving and, or, easier with which to achieve higher trajectory shots than a deeper face driver.
I like relatively shallow face height drivers and don't mind their inevitable elongated-pancake-like head shape. The stock Fujikura Six shaft that came with my JPX EZ was o.k. but the stock HZRDS 6.0 in my EXS 220 seems to be a better fit for my swing.

For the past few rounds I've been playing the EXS 220 driver with HZRDS 6.0 shaft. This driver's head shape reminds me of the year 2016 Mizuno JPX EZ . Both the 220 and JPX have shallow face heights which I believe for many players is more forgiving and, or, easier with which to achieve higher trajectory shots than a deeper face driver.
I like relatively shallow face height drivers and don't mind their inevitable elongated-pancake-like head shape. The stock Fujikura Six shaft that came with my JPX EZ was o.k. but the stock HZRDS 6.0 in my EXS 220 seems to be a better fit for my swing.

I am updating my previous post to write that after a few more rounds I am liking very much the EXS 220 driver. Its relatively shallow face I believe is a significant factor to the club's remarkable forgiveness of slightly mishit shots. The impact sound is pleasing, somewhere between hollow and muted. And the stock HZDRS smoke yellow shaft has been kind of amazing for me; it offers the anti-left shot benefit of a rigid-stout shaft but without any boardy-harsh feeling through impact.

Back