I've been playing for nearly 30 years and have never had one, or even witnessed one. Be very close several times but no. I would guess I've averaged 25 rounds per year since I started playing, some years much more.

It's not you, I think if you could get an average of all golfers the number who haven't will be considerably higher.

I can't even remember the last time I came close to one, seeing as I struggle to even the bloody greens on a par most times out 🤣🤣

Same goes for eagle, had one from a par four at a donkey track where I wanted to playdriver to the nice open spot by the green, massive heel through the trees, rolled up to 6 ft between the group on the green and for once I was able to make the putt.

My first and only one came under unique circumstances. Had to rush to get to the course for league, literally just drove up to the first tee where my group was waiting, got out of the cart, teed up wedge (short little 100 yard par 3 was our first hole that day), hit it slightly on the toe, landed short of the pin, rolled in. Everyone just stared at me. I wasn't really sure what to think, as I hadn't even transitioned my brain from work to golf yet.

And I'm pretty sure I was once on a course when someone got a hole in one on a thin shot.

Pretty sure there's PGA players without any HIOs, so I wouldn't worry about it.

~Rock

I've been playing since I was 16 yrs old and it took me until I was just short of 60 to get my first HIO. Still looking for my 2nd. Keep at it...it will come.

0 here playing since 1992 and 0 witnessed.

For a few years I even played a ton at a local par 3 course (I know these may not count) and I never got one nor did I see one there either.

I don’t have much skill or longevity in the game. I’ve never seen one, but I’ve had a trio of tap-ins. My grandfather had 9, grandmother had 2, uncle has 4, dad has 2, and mom has 1. Some of those are quality and many are quantity. I hope my time will come!

6 holes in one since 1975 ... first one when I was I think 12. Pure luck (y)

Right there with you. Have played soooo many rounds in my life. Never had one. I don't get it either. I've seen several and all but one have been terribly hit balls that happen to go in.

Other than being skilled enough to get it on the green in one, it's more luck than skill: Want to know your odds for a hole-in-one? Well, here they are

Consider: A rifle shooter is considered to be doing well to shoot 1 MOA (1 in. at 100 yards). Par 3's are ±180 to ±250 yards. A golf hole around 4 inches in diameter. A golf ball around 2 in. in diameter. To get a HIO, you're looking at hitting a ball with around 2 MOA of accuracy.

GAWWWWWWWWWWWd I hate hole in one threads:ROFLMAO: I feel your pain sir. Ive been golfing for over 40 years w/o one but still hold on to the slimmest of hope that one day it will come! Good luck on your quest!

I have absolutely zero idea how many rounds I've played in my lifetime but yeah, still sitting at a goose egg in the HIO dept.

One of my golf buddies has been playing 12 years or so, like me. Like me, he is also 70ish and a high handicapper. Whereas I play regularly, he plays far less ... and he has two aces and I have none. There is no rhyme or reason to it.

I'm 3 years in, and have been really close twice.

I've been in two groups where an HIO was hit, and saw neither of them.

First time, it was an uphill par 3, with a blind pin location. We only found out it was an HIO when someone decided to look in the cup, and there it was. Golfer was in his late 60s, lifetime golfer and it was his first.

Second time, I was with @LoffKat and while I was searching in the woods for a shanked ball, she hit her shot, and I hear all sorts of whooping and hollering. Yep, HIO for her with a grand total of 2 years under her belt.

Zip. Nada. Zero. Goose egg. Bumpkis. Bollocks. Negative.

I've hit the stick on a par 3 multiple times. Like over a dozen. Also hit the stick twice on a driveable par 4s.

None of them went in the hole. Someday...maybe. Been 25 years of playing or so ( since I was 10 with some breaks inbetween ). I hope I get a hole in one before I become the one dropping into the hole.

This could be the epitome of "Sometimes its better to be lucky, rather than good."

You need to hit a good shot and get lucky. I am fortunate to have two. The first one was at the tail end of when I was playing a ton. I was a scratch at the time and I had hit a ton of shots close and never knocked one in. I hit a good shot on a 165 yard par 3 it took two hops and went in.

5 years later I wasn't playing much golf anymore because I was busy with my kids. Like 0 full rounds in my home state only playing customer golf. I was playing in a Champions Tour pro am with a really bad back. So bad I had back surgery schedule for the next week. I hit a PW about 2 grooves low from 125 yards and it carried barely onto the green hit a tiny downslope and ran 25 feet into the hole.

When my son was about 13 I dropped him off at a local executive course and on the first hole with his shoes untied still he hit a 6 iron in from150 yards. He was not a golfer at all at that point.

Don't get discouraged. It will hopefully happen someday. Keep hitting good shots and one will go in.

Still a big 0 for me as well. And my dad. And both my brothers. I can't even fathom how many rounds we have between the 4 of us (Dad is 62 and been playing at least 40 years, I am 36 and been playing well enough to hit a hole in one for at least 27 years, brothers are 26 and 23 and have been playing since they were 7 or 8). One day....one day it will come and it will be glorious.

I don’t have much skill or longevity in the game. I’ve never seen one, but I’ve had a trio of tap-ins. My grandfather had 9, grandmother had 2, uncle has 4, dad has 2, and mom has 1. Some of those are quality and many are quantity. I hope my time will come!
Damn they are lucky. How would they feel about adopting a 56 year old man ? Maybe some of that HOI might rub off on me. 😂

I've only got a couple of hundred rounds in, so I'm too new to be discouraged. I have been close 2 times. One was on hole #3, 140 yards with an elevated green. Woods tight to the right side of the green, probably 20' from the edge. Left side of the green slopes away and drops down a hill. The green itself is fairly narrow. I hit a nice draw that landed right in front of the pin and rolled up to "ting" the flag stick. Ball stopped 10" past it. I took a picture to show a buddy how close I came. It actually ruined the rest of my round because I was so pumped up.

Attachments

• IMG_20200820_162004.jpg
    IMG_20200820_162004.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 6
41 and haven't had one. Been close, but I was almost happy because I had no witnesses. Was playing solo that day. Literally hung on the edge of the cup.

I figure it will happen some day, but who knows. The fun is in the chase, right.

4/12/89 7 iron 150 over water. My final shot, broke 80 with a 79!

...nothing else in the past 32 years!

Keep at it OP, your day is coming...esp since you tempted fate by starting this thread~

I like it. Favors the bold.

I’ve got one. Ironically the next closest I’ve ever came was 3 holes later. Little 8i that landed 3ft directly behind the flag and ended up 3ft directly in front of it. My eyesight wasn’t good enough to see if it hopped over it or slightly lipped out. I just knew the ball mark, flag, and ball all formed a straight line of about 6feet.

Good luck to all those that are still searching!

I've been playing since 1977 and have not come closer than four feet.

Growing up, my next-door neighbor got his photo in the local sports section after he notched his fourth ace. He was in his eighties at the time.

I witnessed one hole-in-one, when my partner and I caught up with a twosome who were making up a league match. The par three crossed a road, and one guy hooked his tee shot. It hit a utility wire and rode it to the left, down the hill and out of sight.

"How do you play that?" He said. I suggested he hit a man-made hazard and was entitled to re-hit without penalty. Nobody had any better ideas, so the match partners agreed he got a do-over, which he promptly holed.

Damn they are lucky. How would they feel about adopting a 56 year old man ? Maybe some of that HOI might rub off on me. 😂
I’m starting to worry these things skip every few generations!

I have been playing 15 years and have had four of them. I never got real excited about any of them as I figured it was just dumb luck.

Back