Time to get more consistent & enjoy the walk a little more

Randy came in around 3 pm. Last time we met, we were indoors and primarily focused on some new putting and chip thoughts. Today was outdoors and we got to see some ball flight. Albeit ball flight into a stiff wind and colder than I can ever remember hitting balls before lol.

He pulled a 9i and watched me hit 8-10 balls. Then grabbed a phone to get some video for me to see. I was hitting the ball great. If i showed you the ball pattern on my 9i, it was square and dab smack in the middle of the club. He said he liked what he saw at inpact but asked me a question. "What do you want to fix, change, amend about your swing exactly?"------------? If im being honest i wasnt quite sure how to respond as I have been working on a number of things. Working on hitting the ball higher. Softer landing. Working on hitting some fades. So my answer was this: Its not so much my entire swing im concerned with as it is a repeatable, consistent swing, ball flight, short game etc. I told him that last year and a number of years prior, I hit the ball low. (none of that was resent today at all, go figure). Anyone whos played with me in the past 3-4 years would say i hit the ball low. He asked "why that was a problem?" To which i replied: I feel like i dont hold enough greens from all sorts of different areas on the course. 52gw-8i are good. Anything over that its hit or miss and anything inside of 105 yds is really really inconsistent depending on the shot i need to produce. I told him i lose a TON of strokes inside of 100yds. When its on....im scoring. When its off its a disaster.

On to what he showed me:

Awesome insights into your game.

this is good stuff. you definitely hit a low, driving shot.

Randy explained that he loved my backswing. Loved the takeaway. Loved my impact position............BUT......when he showed me on video how steep i am from the top down, it was eye opening. He went on to explain that based on what he saw, he doesnt want to rewrite the ship. But told me one of the reasons i struggle with holding greens with longer irons is due to how steep i get. He said its not a terrible problem to have but that once i "get above a 6i, it might be difficult to get anything in the air as high as you might want."

๐Ÿคฏ๐Ÿคฏ๐Ÿคฏ๐Ÿคฏ๐Ÿคฏ๐Ÿคฏ

This isnt rocket science. LOL. So, we had our plan for the day. He went and grabbed a long pole with a pool noodle dangling off the end of it. He told me to grab an 8i and take some swings. Then, the noodle came in from him standing down the line to flatten out my plane going back and on my down swing. The goal here was to completely miss the noodle obviously. Im going to be honest, it felt weird. Took me about 5 balls to get comfortable and then.....POOF. Ball flight up, straight down the line, no draws or hooks, and a little baby fade. Now, this is going to have some getting used to. But it felt really really good. It wasnt forced. This is going to be a main focus in my swing for the foreseeable future. Cant wait to get more work in with it. We continued working on this for probably 10-15 more balls.

This can als be accomplished with an alignment stick if someone is holding it. Or, an alignment stick in the ground forcing you to flatten out your plane. This will be utilized when the grass opens up.

What was next:

Last edited:
We also went back to some short game stuff. Short game meaning, inside of 100 yds. He set me up on a pin that was roughly 60yds out and asked me to grab a 56 deg wedge. I kind of chuckled to myself because that is not the club i would choose for that. But, hes the coach and i didnt even mention it. He had me hit 7-10 balls how i normally would. AGain, hitting the ball really well prior. BOOM. Very sporadic distance control. Mainly deep bing the biggest problem. But when trying to correct it id be waaaay short.

Randy went a grabbed another tool of the trade and attached it to the butt end of my 56deg wedge See below: (ignore the extra crap as this is a stock photo, lol)
s-l1600.jpg

This thing is called the anti-flip stick and can be bought here:
and this is basically the same thing from Callaway

Anyways, He showed me how to setup with it on pitch shots. Asked me to stop flipping my wrists after impact so much and just release slightly.
NOTE: when this is installed its really hard to not have it slap you in the left hip on your follow through.
By doing, this the correct way, he explained that i would be catching the ball much more clean with much more spin. There would be little to no overspin or side spin if executd properly. Thus, allowing me to control my wedge game much more consistently. To be frank.....i never knew how much flipped my hands through on those shots between 30-90 yds. It took me a good while to actually figure out how NOT to smack it into my hip every damn time. But, once i did, it kind of clicked. Distance control was almost immediately different and if there was a front to back dispersion for 30-90yd shots, id say it was very very tight. Or at least more tight than it ever was before.

This specifically is going to really take some work. Ive ground into my brain for years "flipping" my wrists after impact which has caused me to lose control of my distance dispersion. Gotta keep grinding and working on these things as it seemed like it was an immediate change to what i have know for so long lol.

I went ahead and purchased the ANTI FLIP STICK in the pro shop as it was only like $17. If youve ever grabbed the club under the grip to create the same feeling, or youve ever tried to HOLD ON TO an alignment stick while holding a golf club to again, create the same effect, then you need to just buy one of these. It literally installs via a rubber cup on the butt of your club. The only thing Randy advised me is that, if the rod comes out for whatever reason.....Gorilla Glue it back in.

Its supposed to be 45-60 all next week here in Ohio. Im quite certain I will be hitting up the range and working on BOTH of these techniques.

Side note: This was the first time hed ever seen my full swing. We completely ignored anything over a 6i. When the lesson was over I had about 30 balls left and I worked my way up from an 8i to a 4i implementing these ideas. All i can say is wow. Long way to go. But i cant remember the last time i hit a 5i-4i-3i that high.

Good signs! Whatever youre working on in your game......keep it up and consider a lesson. Its sure to open your eyes.

Last edited:
Hope im not boring anyone with this stuff.

I consider it my way of trying to make sure i retained what i learned each day. (Probably should have implemented this technique some in school at any point ๐Ÿคฃ๐Ÿคฃ๐Ÿคฃ๐Ÿคฃ๐Ÿคฃ)

I consider it my way of trying to make sure i retained what i learned each day. (Probably should have implemented this technique some in school at any point ๐Ÿคฃ๐Ÿคฃ๐Ÿคฃ๐Ÿคฃ๐Ÿคฃ)

keep it coming!!!

We also went back to some short game stuff. Short game meaning, inside of 100 yds. He set me up on a pin that was roughly 60yds out and asked me to grab a 56 deg wedge. I kind of chuckled to myself because that is not the club i would choose for that. But, hes the coach and i didnt even mention it. He had me hit 7-10 balls how i normally would. AGain, hitting the ball really well prior. BOOM. Very sporadic distance control. Mainly deep bing the biggest problem. But when trying to correct it id be waaaay short.

Randy went a grabbed another tool of the trade and attached it to the butt end of my 56deg wedge See below: (ignore the extra crap as this is a stock photo, lol)
s-l1600.jpg

This thing is called the anti-flip stick and can be bought here:
and this is basically the same thing from Callaway

Anyways, He showed me how to setup with it on pitch shots. Asked me to stop flipping my wrists after impact so much and just release slightly.
NOTE: when this is installed its really hard to not have it slap you in the left hip on your follow through.
By doing, this the correct way, he explained that i would be catching the ball much more clean with much more spin. There would be little to no overspin or side spin if executd properly. Thus, allowing me to control my wedge game much more consistently. To be frank.....i never knew how much flipped my hands through on those shots between 30-90 yds. It took me a good while to actually figure out how NOT to smack it into my hip every damn time. But, once i did, it kind of clicked. Distance control was almost immediately different and if there was a front to back dispersion for 30-90yd shots, id say it was very very tight. Or at least more tight than it ever was before.

This specifically is going to really take some work. Ive ground into my brain for years "flipping" my wrists after impact which has caused me to lose control of my distance dispersion. Gotta keep grinding and working on these things as it seemed like it was an immediate change to what i have know for so long lol.

I went ahead and purchased the ANTI FLIP STICK in the pro shop as it was only like $17. If youve ever grabbed the club under the grip to create the same feeling, or youve ever tried to HOLD ON TO an alignment stick while holding a golf club to again, create the same effect, then you need to just buy one of these. It literally installs via a rubber cup on the butt of your club. The only thing Randy advised me is that, if the rod comes out for whatever reason.....Gorilla Glue it back in.

Its supposed to be 45-60 all next week here in Ohio. Im quite certain I will be hitting up the range and working on BOTH of these techniques.

Side note: This was the first time hed ever seen my full swing. We completely ignored anything over a 6i. When the lesson was over I had about 30 balls left and I worked my way up from an 8i to a 4i implementing these ideas. All i can say is wow. Long way to go. But i cant remember the last time i hit a 5i-4i-3i that high.

Good signs! Whatever youre working on in your game......keep it up and consider a lesson. Its sure to open your eyes.

So before you spend 17 or 25 dollars, let me give you a 2 dollar version: driveway marker. Sharpen one end, push it down the grip. Tada.

Love the follow and love that youโ€™re excited and engaged with take this on! Will continue to follow!

Not at all. Reading your thread is making me excited to start my lessons with Randy.

30 degrees, flurries and a 15-20mph wind were the conditions today for my next session w Randy Dietz
So before you spend 17 or 25 dollars, let me give you a 2 dollar version: driveway marker. Sharpen one end, push it down the grip. Tada.
No. I like to buy the things.....

You have me seriously thinking of booking a lesson with Randy. Only a couple of hour drive from Toledo where I live. I have difficulties getting too steep with my downswing as you mentioned.

Good stuff here! Thanks for sharing the details, I appreciate the insight and also the tools/training aids explanation.

You have me seriously thinking of booking a lesson with Randy. Only a couple of hour drive from Toledo where I live. I have difficulties getting too steep with my downswing as you mentioned.

I will tell you this......Im on his slate for the next few weeks. If you called in right now to get something with him, It would be at the end of March. He does a ton of junior coaching and college coaching.

I don't know if you mentioned it, but is there a reason you decided to go to Randy, whose credentials are top notch, over your own club pro? I assume the trek over to Windmill has been worth it, though.

I will tell you this......Im on his slate for the next few weeks. If you called in right now to get something with him, It would be at the end of March. He does a ton of junior coaching and college coaching.

2nd week of April for weekend lessons, at least that's what he told me in January. I sent him an email to start either the 4th or 10th of April earlier this morning.

I don't know if you mentioned it, but is there a reason you decided to go to Randy, whose credentials are top notch, over your own club pro? I assume the trek over to Windmill has been worth it, though.

SO i researched a number of guys. None of which were anyone at any of my clubs. I researched, Randy, Bob Bourne, Todd Cassabella, and a few others. I landed with Randy for a few reasons. For one, his resume is legit. Not only does he still play competitivly in Ohio a ton (winning various events and POY trophies), but he played at Kent. Kent's golf program is top notch. Played with Ben Curtis. Caddied on the PGA Tour for a number of years. Caddied on the Korn Ferry for a number of years. ALLLLLLLLL OF THAT ASIDE........
His obvious dedication to helping all level of golfers (juniors, women, seniors, etc) get better with a plan is what stood above everyone else. Can you go to him for a one off lesson? Sure. I think hes more valuable than that. Go to him every few weeks. Setup your own plan and execute it with him. He will see anyone just like any other pro out there. But there a big difference between a "Coach" like Randy and a pro who understands the golf swing. Theres plenty of pros out there at every course who can giv you tips to fix things. But what is their dedication to you getting better? I dont feel like any of my pros are all that dedicated to that type of regimen. I dont think a lot of head r assistant pros are all that dedicated to an individual. They have a million other things they have to deal with on a daily basis at the club, the schedule, tee sheet, pro shop, etc etc etc.

Last edited:
Yu
2nd week of April for weekend lessons, at least that's what he told me in January. I sent him an email to start either the 4th or 10th of April earlier this morning.
Yup. I refuse to go there on a weekend if i can avoid it. So, I work it into my work schedule early or late Mon-Fri.

Yu

Yup. I refuse to go there on a weekend if i can avoid it. So, I work it into my work schedule early or late Mon-Fri.

Fair enough. I get up at 4.15 weekday mornings so when I leave work at 4pm all I want to do is go home, so Saturdays work better for me. I'm booked in for 04/10 then 5/8 at this stage.

@PKorf excellent updates and glad you found someone you like to work with. That is always the hardest part imo. I am a little disappointed though because I gave you the pool noodle drill a couple of years ago ;). A pool noodle and an alignment stick will fix a ton of wrongs in the golf swing. Looking forward to when we next play.

No huge updates here today other than it was 70 degrees and about a 20-25mph wind....and I got out to play. Absolutely perfect, although the grass was still very dormant and everything was fairly shaggy. Didn't care on bit though. Cart Paths only....again didnt care one bit.

As the first round of the year goes in comparison to years past first rounds, Id say I was really really pleased. In years past, I would come out cold turkey, barely stretch and just go. Today was a little different however. Ive had a number of practice sessions, coaching sessions, I felt ready. Or maybe at least more prepared.

The Good:
The company i had and got to share with a buddy and his 19yr old college golf playing son. (he is a stick). Just enjoyed their company so much.

Absolutely pounding the ball of the tee. Long,
7/7 fairways on the front
6/7 fairways on the back
13/14 fairways hit today
7/9 greens hit on the front
6/9 greens on the back hit
13 greens hit in reg

par 3 7th only playing 140yds.......ball ended up about 4ft from the cup. Ball mark was as close as ive come to a hole in hole in a number of years. it was right of the cup by about 1 1/2".......we all thought it was in when it landed. Spun back about 4 ft.

Smoked a 3iron MP20-HMB on a windy and downwind par 4. Hole plays 265yd to the front edge. I was pin high in the rough. (It was damn windy) but i was so proud of the way i hit the 3i from the tee.

Short game was pretty solid. Although tough to gauge as the green conditions were a little tough. Happy with it though.

I did not track putting as the greens were pretty shaggy and fairly bumpy. But, overall i was pleased with the new stance, new hands position and generally happy with what I saw.

The Bad:
Overall there wasnt a ton I was disappointed with. Took some massive divots. Some of that was conditions and some of it was mechanics. Im nit picking maybe, but it was something.

Again, I want everyone to know that this is me holding myself accountable for my goals. there no bs or fluffing of numbers here. If i play bad, ill post the bad. Good, ill post the good and the bad. This is about consistency and maybe more than anything else, reflecting on not only how i played. But, also how the day was.

Off to a great start but a long ass ways to go. Today was great and i saw how I might be able to just eliminate the entire left side of the course with more control and more work. Pretty cool

This is a good follow. Sounds like you have a good plan, and the right mindset to achieve it.

Alright......so its been almost a month since my last update. Heres the goods:

Since March 4th Ive had 2 more sessions with Randy. We are working harrrrrrrd on getting more flat on my downswing. It has been an interesting transition as it feels so much better with contact when i get in the right position. But, when i'm not in the right position, i can automatically tell at impact. To be completely honest its not a huge change. But to go from how upright I was on my downswing to trying to get flatter.....it feels really really awkward as I had worked myself into a pretty terrible position over the years apparently. Truth be told, in the last 2-3 years i went from a 2hdcp to a 6.5. I was literally unable to hit an iron that had a 3-4-5 sometimes even a 6 iron. I certainly couldnt hit a 3w any higher than 20' off the ground and with absolutely no power at all. Obviously this limited my game quite a bit.

So, weve been getting flatter. To give everyone a visual of where my downswing was, I want you to picture the shaft of any club as you are coming down from the top above or inline with the top of your shoulder and it dropping straight down to the ball. Heres what the swing looked like in March: (cough cough....excuse the early march snow squall) Also ignore the layers and sweatpants lol. It was 28 degrees. haha.

View attachment IMG_1869.MOV

As you can see.......the shaft is waaaaaaaaay above my shoulder and dropping down really steeply. Hitting the ball great here btw....lol.

Fast forward a good month and ditch the snow as it was in the 60-80 degree range for most of March. I dont have video (I will get next week) but the shaft is now much flatter on my down swing. Picture the shaft running through my bicep instead of on top of an over my shoulder.

Ive played 3 more rounds since the last time i posted about playing. Rounds were in order: 81 / 82 / and a 76 last Saturday. (40-36). Ball striking is soooooooooo much more consistent. Short game ball striking is waaaaaaaaay more consistent. Putting is coming along and getting there.

I will say this, Randy Dietz is undoubtedly an exceptional coach. Hes gotten my hands from takeaway moving farther inside and not so far outside of my body. Hes hit the right spot in my plane to get me more flat and as of Wednesday (my last session till next week) I can hit a 3w, a 3i, a 4i, a 5i so much beter its kind of astounding. Yes. Im not going to sugarcoat the process and dedication im giving this change to be more consistent. But, its an inspiring thing to actually see the change in real time take affect. I was BOMBING my 3w I bought last year. The same 3w I might have pulled out of my bag less than 10 times all of last year and was getting ready to sell. There are misses. There and bladed and thin shots. But when its good, its really really good to see and feel.

I am absolutely stoked right now to get back out there. Play and more importantly work again with Randy on grinding this into my muscle memory. Next session is next week. We will see if that stands as I get my second vax the day before......I might be down and out. We will see.

Back