One Length Irons Thread: Join the Revolution

Whew. 2 and a half days and I have finally read the entire thread.

This has got to be my favorite thread on THP.
I always assumed (without researching) that the heads were the same, but with different lie angles from standard. So much information in here.

Edit: that video with the cutaway irons was great. Eye opening for sure

Received my irons today! To say I am excited to hit them is an understatement. It is odd holding the 4 iron at address given how short it is, but I think that will quickly go away with one bucket on the range.View attachment 8995853
Recoil shafts?

Spent a little more time with my 5and 6 irons today. Smooth 6 irons That carry 185+ I could get used to. Time will tell if the 5 &6 one length can convert me. I still hit my SL forge tecs really well. I think the Radspeed is slightly longer in carry by only a few yards I think I hit the SL clubs higher with a better landing angle. That could change over time spent getting used to clubs or with a shaft change. If I was to make the move to OL I think I would go with recoil 95 instead of my steelfiber i95s. Will know more with more swings and getting them on the course and out of Sim.

Looked at the Cobra RADSPEED OLs today at my LGS. Happy with their looks and the look at address. My club guy agreed that, me being a new golfer and all, and especially since I'm rebuilding my swing nearly from scratch with TMG, I'm an excellent candidate for OL irons.

Happy with their looks and the look at address.

I think a lot of people that haven't seen them would be surprised how good a club with that much forgiveness looks. They are 2nd to none in that department in the GI class IMO and I am picky about that.

Which model. Look like smac wrap in pic possibly
You got it, 780 ES with SmacWrap. I opted for standard Tour Velvet grips as well since I have a ShotScope watch and need to screw the tags in to the grips.

First impressions:

It's not as dramatic of a difference as I would have thought (next to current VL forged tec set). Took some swings in to the net with the 6, 8, GW of the one length set. But even after only 15 minutes or so I had to reset a couple time with the 6i to put the ball back in my stance more. Just taking swings into a net trying to repeat and the 6i creeps forward.

Not as scared of the xstiff shafts as I thought I might. A bit lighter than I'm used to might help but they feel pretty smooth.

Early returns seem to have limited my big toe miss which is always an issue that worsens in long irons. Put some impact tape on for 5 swings each (6i -> gw top to bottom) still got one out a bit on the 6 but not egregious.
Hopeful to get them out for 9 tomorrow.

PXL_20210305_032817026.jpg

PXL_20210305_032005188.jpg

Heading out to the PGASS to hit some OL later this morning. The plan is to try both FT and Rad to see which works better. Really excited to see which one of them will be going in the bag when I make the switch later this spring.

I was able to try out a 5i in both FT and Radspeed this morning with OL shaft. Felt I could take either set to the course and be very happy. Distance wise they were pretty similar. Radspeed were a bit more "hooky" but that could easily be a lie angle thing. FT had more of a comfort factor for me coming from Ping i500s but I came away very impressed with both options

Random FT swing
20210305_102413.jpg

Radspeed swing
20210305_102257.jpg

First impressions:

It's not as dramatic of a difference as I would have thought (next to current VL forged tec set). Took some swings in to the net with the 6, 8, GW of the one length set. But even after only 15 minutes or so I had to reset a couple time with the 6i to put the ball back in my stance more. Just taking swings into a net trying to repeat and the 6i creeps forward.

Not as scared of the xstiff shafts as I thought I might. A bit lighter than I'm used to might help but they feel pretty smooth.

Early returns seem to have limited my big toe miss which is always an issue that worsens in long irons. Put some impact tape on for 5 swings each (6i -> gw top to bottom) still got one out a bit on the 6 but not egregious.
Hopeful to get them out for 9 tomorrow.

View attachment 8996477

View attachment 8996478
That's a really good photo there. It puts it in perspective that this isn't really that dramatic of a departure from normal.

I was able to try out a 5i in both FT and Radspeed this morning with OL shaft. Felt I could take either set to the course and be very happy. Distance wise they were pretty similar. Radspeed were a bit more "hooky" but that could easily be a lie angle thing. FT had more of a comfort factor for me coming from Ping i500s but I came away very impressed with both options

Random FT swing
View attachment 8996513

Radspeed swing
View attachment 8996515
Same shaft in each. Was the backspin on above shots representative of each club for your swing. 700rpm difference in backspin.

My Forged Tec OL with Steelfiber i95's arrived this morning...looking forward to putting them through their paces this weekend, but they look and feel great!

Awesome. Let us know how it goes.

Same shaft in each. Was the backspin on above shots representative of each club for your swing. 700rpm difference in backspin.
Same shaft yes. I saw a little more backspin on average with the FT but maybe not as big of a difference as the pictures indicate. These were also my first swings in about 3 months so I was honestly just feeling them out versus trying to dial anything in numbers wise.

My Forged Tec OL with Steelfiber i95's arrived this morning...looking forward to putting them through their paces this weekend, but they look and feel great!
Nice choice.

The more I read about the OL irons, the more I am leaning that way. It's starting to sink in with me and making more sense of why you should use these or at the least give em a try. I like that consistency has been a positive in a lot of the stuff I watched/read. I, like a lot of handicappers where I am, struggle with this part of the game. I am definitely open to give these a try. I was not even open to them a few weeks back but, this feed and doing other research has open my mind to wanting to try them.

OL on course for first time.
Is such a weird mental step to remind yourself to "hit this like and 8i" every shot. Worked most of the time and led to some of the most consistent flighted irons I've seen in awhile. No problem elevating 6i.

Promising start. Windy, so hard to tell much with distance. Seemed pretty close to VL across the board.

Is such a weird mental step to remind yourself to "hit this like and 8i" every shot. Worked most of the time and led to some of the most consistent flighted irons I've seen in awhile. No problem elevating 6i.

Promising start. Windy, so hard to tell much with distance. Seemed pretty close to VL across the board.

Variable length has lost another good soldier to the one length.

A question I have is when it's is windy can you still move the ball back with say a 6 iron to flight the ball down with the OL?

Back