TaylorMade Releases P7MB, P7MC and P770 Irons

Mentioned it in the X Forged thread, but I swapped out the Apex MB's in that combo for the P7MC today, and really enjoyed it. Net par, and some really good shots. Just a big fan of those little irons. Really like some of the more blade-like qualities. Really easy to knock down and shape, very solid feel, crazy versatile.

I had kind of chickened out on the shaft swap because the new Apex were coming, but now having seen and read more about the release I think I'm going to go ahead and do it this weekend. Will be last chance for clubwork for a bit so I better get to it.

Haven't loved the sole transitions to my SM8's at the gap wedge though, and have really enjoyed the MG2 in some other setups lately so, I think I'll have to grab a steel finish 50* to go with them.

Last edited:
So I needed more paint, and went way out of my way to swing by a golf store of course, and had an interesting exchange. My phone was with my dog out in the truck, so I didn't want to run out in the rain to grab it and snap pics (they're obviously available online though), but when he was asking me what irons are still under serious consideration and I mentioned the P7MC's he made a face, said 'you want to buy these?', and took me over to a set of P750's he had out from a trade-in. I had never seen a set of them, and he basically said not many could play them and even less liked them. They were remarkably similar to my P7MC's that I seem to be the only one on THP to enjoy. :LOL: So I did a search, found this, and it looks like none of you really liked them either.

The overall size, shape, and soles really stood out to me as basically a predecessor to the P7MC, where they just changed the little cavity and added a little offset to blend with the look of the P770 and P7MB. I had never heard about them as a replacement for 750's, which I'm not even sure I knew existed, but I guess I get why people like @NVGOLFER80 and the guy at the store give me a face when I say I like playing them. Wouldn't be described as real soft, small, blade-like demanding, etc. My full set Apex Pros are getting the shafts I was going to put in them, but they're still not going anywhere soon. I really do like them and play them well.

And I'm still loving the P770 3i. The 4 and 5 are a bit of a weird combo with the MC's, so I've gone to combo'ing them less, but they still perform well for me too. On performance I'd put them up against the Apex Pro long irons and expect them to more than compete.

So I needed more paint, and went way out of my way to swing by a golf store of course, and had an interesting exchange. My phone was with my dog out in the truck, so I didn't want to run out in the rain to grab it and snap pics (they're obviously available online though), but when he was asking me what irons are still under serious consideration and I mentioned the P7MC's he made a face, said 'you want to buy these?', and took me over to a set of P750's he had out from a trade-in. I had never seen a set of them, and he basically said not many could play them and even less liked them. They were remarkably similar to my P7MC's that I seem to be the only one on THP to enjoy. :LOL: So I did a search, found this, and it looks like none of you really liked them either.

The overall size, shape, and soles really stood out to me as basically a predecessor to the P7MC, where they just changed the little cavity and added a little offset to blend with the look of the P770 and P7MB. I had never heard about them as a replacement for 750's, which I'm not even sure I knew existed, but I guess I get why people like @NVGOLFER80 and the guy at the store give me a face when I say I like playing them. Wouldn't be described as real soft, small, blade-like demanding, etc. My full set Apex Pros are getting the shafts I was going to put in them, but they're still not going anywhere soon. I really do like them and play them well.

And I'm still loving the P770 3i. The 4 and 5 are a bit of a weird combo with the MC's, so I've gone to combo'ing them less, but they still perform well for me too. On performance I'd put them up against the Apex Pro long irons and expect them to more than compete.

I have never given you a face... I dont remember a conversation regarding the MCs but they are dang good clubs.. Very good. The recent TM offerings in the players category are as solid as anything out there..

I have never given you a face... I dont remember a conversation regarding the MCs but they are dang good clubs.. Very good. The recent TM offerings in the players category are as solid as anything out there..
Oh, I thought it was you who gave me a mind blown recently when I said they weren't going anywhere for a while. :unsure: I thought maybe you had taken a turn on your opinion of them because you and your friend and been the lone TM buddies for a while. My bad.

Trying to think who that was now...

Oh, I thought it was you who gave me a mind blown recently when I said they weren't going anywhere for a while. :unsure: I thought maybe you had taken a turn on your opinion of them because you and your friend and been the lone TM buddies for a while. My bad.

Trying to think who that was now...

Maybe it is because I thought the idea of you committing was crazy.. haha. Or maybe I was thinking the P770s that I find feel really harsh.

I set up @tmarin802 with a combo set of of MC/MBs I think they are really good. Are they the best? I am not sure. I think personally like the x forged or X7s more. But I would have no argument for anyone that said the liked them. They are clean and classy.

Maybe it is because I thought the idea of you committing was crazy.. haha.

I just have a small decision making disorder.

About this one aspect of my life.

Sometimes.

Anyone know head weight of these p770 vs others mentioned below ?

I've been playing LZ 6.0 past few years in C300 forged, i200 and forged tec black

For some reason these irons seems super heavy 7iron up and cannot make any contact at all they are fine in my milled grind wedges

Just wondering if these heads are heavy or did taylormade put some headweights in since I play 1/2 short

Sent from my SM-G975W using Tapatalk

Anyone know head weight of these p770 vs others mentioned below ?

I've been playing LZ 6.0 past few years in C300 forged, i200 and forged tec black

For some reason these irons seems super heavy 7iron up and cannot make any contact at all they are fine in my milled grind wedges

Just wondering if these heads are heavy or did taylormade put some headweights in since I play 1/2 short

Sent from my SM-G975W using Tapatalk
Oof. I do not know where my notes are from when I rebuilt my 770's. They'll get found in unpacking eventually. I weigh and measure everything though, and I don't remember the head weights being outside the norm at all.

Does anyone play S300 shafts anymore? The Taylormade MC was one of my favorite irons and I had the S300 in there. Then I went i20 irons with the standard stiff shaft. I'm considering going back to TM irons and getting the 770 but not sure which shaft I should consider if I naturally hit the ball kind if high.

Does anyone play S300 shafts anymore? The Taylormade MC was one of my favorite irons and I had the S300 in there. Then I went i20 irons with the standard stiff shaft. I'm considering going back to TM irons and getting the 770 but not sure which shaft I should consider if I naturally hit the ball kind if high.
I put the amt tour white in there and I LOVE them. Great set of sticks, you won't be disappointed.

So 770 over i210?

I put the amt tour white in there and I LOVE them. Great set of sticks, you won't be disappointed.
I play the S300s in my P760s and I don’t really have any complaints. I’ve been very tempted to put a set of AMT white shafts in them but not sure that I’d like them. Do they provide a more balance weight?

I play the S300s in my P760s and I don’t really have any complaints. I’ve been very tempted to put a set of AMT white shafts in them but not sure that I’d like them. Do they provide a more balance weight?
They moved the weight around in the long irons. The long irons are lighter and the ball flight overall is slightly lower than the standard s300. With this tech I doubt the original s300 will be around much longer.

They moved the weight around in the long irons. The long irons are lighter and the ball flight overall is slightly lower than the standard s300. With this tech I doubt the original s300 will be around much longer.
Interesting! Did you notice much of an adjustment switching to them?

I really thought the p770 were going to be a lot more popular on THP. Our local shop is pretty much sold out of TM irons and it looks like it may be hard to get stock for the shelves still

I really thought the p770 were going to be a lot more popular on THP. Our local shop is pretty much sold out of TM irons and it looks like it may be hard to get stock for the shelves still
They can't keep them on the shelves here either and I've had pretty big offers for my custom Arkansas-ish themed ones. Taylormade in general doesn't get a lot of love on THP outside of some metals.

I thought I'd love them and bought them right away, but they just didn't work out.

They are hands down the prettiest hollow bodies on the market IMO.

Bought my 770/790 combo set in December. I was able to get in4 rounds with them and I am impressed so far. Been hitting them on a sim most of the winter. Cant wait to get them back out on the course

I thought I'd love them and bought them right away, but they just didn't work out.

They are hands down the prettiest hollow bodies on the market IMO.
I did hit them when they first came out and I did like them but wasn’t ready to buy at the tile and when I was finally looking the lead time was like 12 plus weeks so I looked elsewhere. I really liked my p760’s and thinking back I really had a good year with them. I should never have moved them after one year. The success I had with them would have had my expectations really really high if I had gotten the 770’s. What was the reason they didn’t work out for you?

They can't keep them on the shelves here either and I've had pretty big offers for my custom Arkansas-ish themed ones. Taylormade in general doesn't get a lot of love on THP outside of some metals.
Do you still have your MC’s?

I did hit them when they first came out and I did like them but wasn’t ready to buy at the tile and when I was finally looking the lead time was like 12 plus weeks so I looked elsewhere. I really liked my p760’s and thinking back I really had a good year with them. I should never have moved them after one year. The success I had with them would have had my expectations really really high if I had gotten the 770’s. What was the reason they didn’t work out for you?
Want a hot take?

I think the P760 are better than the new P770.

Do you still have your MC’s?
Oh yeah. I love those things. I wish they had a slightly different combo option than the 770's though, aesthetically. I've thought about throwing a 4 & 5 760 in with them.

Reactions: MH
Want a hot take?

I think the P760 are better than the new P770.
And on cue! Or.. you posted first. :unsure:

I loved the 760's. I don't think that's too hot of a take. I think the 770's are a great club for a lot of people, and the performance of them in the long irons has been great for me. I freaking love my 770 3i. But I wished from the beginning they would have just updated the 760's.

Back