Callaway X Forged CB Irons Review

I expect a lot of pics! Do you still have the XFCB too? Really interested how they compare.
I do for like, another week? Lol I was hoping to do side-by-sides but might need to send off the XFCB before the TCB get here.

I do for like, another week? Lol I was hoping to do side-by-sides but might need to send off the XFCB before the TCB get here.
Oh haha. Trade fodder?

You guys want to have a chat about these?
I was going to ask you if you were playing these. I got mine on the sim (GC hawk) for their 2nd round today and I absolutely love the feel of them. Taking them in Tuesday to get them bent 1.5* flat and get the lofts checked. I was getting
what I expect for distances and I am liking the px IO shafts a lot. The only thing I can’t decide on is whether I change the grips to my usual mcc+4 or give the bct cords a trial on the course

I’m hoping you get them in before you have to send the x-forged away. I’m still debating ordering the tcb’s but I am liking the x-forged so far and the offset that everyone dislikes so much isn’t bothering me yet. The more I hit them the less I notice it.

I was going to ask you if you were playing these. I got mine on the sim (GC hawk) for their 2nd round today and I absolutely love the feel of them. Taking them in Tuesday to get them bent 1.5* flat and get the lofts checked. I was getting
what I expect for distances and I am liking the px IO shafts a lot. The only thing I can’t decide on is whether I change the grips to my usual mcc+4 or give the bct cords a trial on the course
I am. Have had about four rounds now to digest them out there. Problem right now here is the soft ground, so I seem to be having a tendency to go a bit more thin than flush (which has annoyed me a lot haha). That said, I came out of it a bit yesterday and started to hit some SERIOUSLY flush feeling shots, that resulted in a bunch of greens hit.

I'm not really sold on the stock lofts since I've been playing some more aggressive lofts to accommodate my entry into the zone. I'll probably make that change to close the gap on the distances - but it's nothing to do with the setup, just a me thing. I think the IOs will continue to stay in there for a bit as well.

Oh haha. Trade fodder?
Yep. They fetch a decent price on trade-in. Along with some ones Callaway didn't even have in their trade-in trade-up online options yet. Which is good because my Customs hunger was strong this year.

Question to all the guys that have hit or played with both the Callaway X-Forged CBs and the Apex Pro's, Which one in your opinion feels, sounds, and performs better than the other? Also, which one has the best distance over one another?

Question to all the guys that have hit or played with both the Callaway X-Forged CBs and the Apex Pro's, Which one in your opinion feels, sounds, and performs better than the other? Also, which one has the best distance over one another?

Paging @Canadan
This is basically your THP Live Stream :)

Man, loaded question.

I think the overall design lets the X Forged CB present a more dense profile, and likely has a bit more control overall on the results of a shot.
I think the Apex Pros are performance monsters from result-of-strike perspective and have a sound that is nice and lively.

Between the two, I leaned X Forged CB because I was flooding a green with them on the simulator, and because I loved the sound profile. It was NOT an easy choice.

I would echo some of what Dan said. They're both great, so it's going to be personal preference and a little bit of ability, maybe. The Pros are more forgiving imo. I like the sound and feel of the X Forged better, but the feel of the Pros is pretty addicting/satisfying for most people. I hear and feel them in a way most don't seem to care about. Not bad, but definitely there. Distance is going to depend on your swing dynamics and what you need in a head to get the most out of the ball for you. The xfcb can be even lower spinning and longer than the Pros, but if you need the get up^ to get the most out of a your flight the Pros would probably be longer for you. I've mostly enjoyed playing them both.

I think the Apex pros are longer and offer more help especially in the long irons. If it is pure control the XForged may be better.

Feel and sound are hard because that is subjective though I think they are both great.

Dropping mine off tomorrow morning to have the lies adjusted and lofts verified. Can’t wait to get these on grass. When I texted both these and the apex pro distance on average was very similar and spin was actually lower with the c-forged which was a good thing for me. I also thought the feel of the x-forged was more solid than the pros.

Dropping mine off tomorrow morning to have the lies adjusted and lofts verified. Can’t wait to get these on grass. When I texted both these and the apex pro distance on average was very similar and spin was actually lower with the c-forged which was a good thing for me. I also thought the feel of the x-forged was more solid than the pros.
That’s the one knock I have with the apex pro. They have a little bit of a click to them. Probably due to the cup face and tungsten. The xfcb does feel more solid.

As the snow slowly melts and there is more grass showing throughout the yard I went and hit a bunch of 9 irons from the shop out to the front yard. I have about 165 yards from the house to the end of the front yard so I’m able to take full swings. The power pole is roughly 150y out so it gives me a good target. Found about half the balls that didn’t end up in the snow, and kept hitting for about an hour (half the time AER hung for balls). Even hitting cold balls these irons feel fantastic, I am really liking the I/O shaft so far. Very straight flight. Getting super excited for the the year to start. You guys down South don’t know how good you have it!

As the snow slowly melts and there is more grass showing throughout the yard I went and hit a bunch of 9 irons from the shop out to the front yard. I have about 165 yards from the house to the end of the front yard so I’m able to take full swings. The power pole is roughly 150y out so it gives me a good target. Found about half the balls that didn’t end up in the snow, and kept hitting for about an hour (half the time AER hung for balls). Even hitting cold balls these irons feel fantastic, I am really liking the I/O shaft so far. Very straight flight. Getting super excited for the the year to start. You guys down South don’t know how good you have it!
Spring is coming. You'll be out there hitting non-frozen balls in no time, and they'll feel even better! I love that there will be another IO player out there too. Every player who is even a reasonable fit for one of my IO sets and tries them, loves them. Yet I still never see them in the wild. I'm grateful they put that shaft as a stock pairing and fitting cart option with the XFCB's because I got to demo it a ton. Ordered them in my MB's without being able to try them together, I'll soon have them in 4 different heads, and the 5th I've put in play. I like 'em. (y)

Reactions: MH
@OldandStiff did you play regular px in the past? I played them for years and moved on a couple of years ago as I started to feel like the long irons were getting to be more work than I liked. So far in the 2 sim rounds I have had the long irons feel great. Played DG amt tour white for a year and I really liked them. Last year I played modus 120’s for the year and for some reason they weren’t a really good fit for me even though they felt fantastic. Happy to be back in PX’s and love the finish on these. Also, have you tried the LS?

@OldandStiff did you play regular px in the past? I played them for years and moved on a couple of years ago as I started to feel like the long irons were getting to be more work than I liked. So far in the 2 sim rounds I have had the long irons feel great. Played DG amt tour white for a year and I really liked them. Last year I played modus 120’s for the year and for some reason they weren’t a really good fit for me even though they felt fantastic. Happy to be back in PX’s and love the finish on these. Also, have you tried the LS?
I have and still have some PX 6.0 and 6.5. I've played AMT Whites a ton for the same reason you said. What fits well elsewhere can feel like a lot of work in the long irons. Love AMT's for that. Outside of a set of them I've been trying to stay in the 115-120g range so I don't have to work too hard at the long end and the IO's have been a really pleasant surprise there. They hold up well for 115g too. Here's the weird thing about LS for me. I've tried the LS 120 and I can't tell hardly any difference between it and the IO 115. The LS feels the same to me, just a bit stiffer maybe. I don't know if they're meant to or not, but I could play either one.

Reactions: MH
I have and still have some PX 6.0 and 6.5. I've played AMT Whites a ton for the same reason you said. What fits well elsewhere can feel like a lot of work in the long irons. Love AMT's for that. Outside of a set of them I've been trying to stay in the 115-120g range so I don't have to work too hard at the long end and the IO's have been a really pleasant surprise there. They hold up well for 115g too. Here's the weird thing about LS for me. I've tried the LS 120 and I can't tell hardly any difference between it and the IO 115. The LS feels the same to me, just a bit stiffer maybe. I don't know if they're meant to or not, but I could play either one.
Nice, I am itching to get the long irons outside. I might have to go pound a couple 4 irons tonight out to the field

Called to check on the backorder of the AW I made a month ago...bad news is the head production is behind. Rep told me that it was going to be July before they got any heads in. I decided to cancel...I am sure I will find something else to put the money towards. Maybe Apex Pros?

Called to check on the backorder of the AW I made a month ago...bad news is the head production is behind. Rep told me that it was going to be July before they got any heads in. I decided to cancel...I am sure I will find something else to put the money towards. Maybe Apex Pros?
I see a couple of them in the retail racks here with stock IO 6.0's. Have you tried calling stores to see if they have I've that would work for you?

Good idea. I wish El Paso had the retail stores that would carry an item like that. It would cost me more to get the AW to the specs of my current X-Forged CBs.
I see a couple of them in the retail racks here with stock IO 6.0's. Have you tried calling stores to see if they have I've that would work for you?

I had a chance to hit these again yesterday. If I weren't so enamored by the Cobra King Tour and in the Morgan Cup I would put these in the bag without hesitation. This is a set of irons I think will go down as classics.

This may sound like a silly idea, I’m considering a combo of Apex Pros and XForged in the short irons.

Now this is somewhat based on my play with the AW in both sets. The long irons in Apex Pro have been great but having both gaps wedges out this past month I easily like the XForged better.

Now it could partly be the shaft or just a small sample size, I need to do some more testing.

This may sound like a silly idea, I’m considering a combo of Apex Pros and XForged in the short irons.

Now this is somewhat based on my play with the AW in both sets. The long irons in Apex Pro have been great but having both gaps wedges out this past month I easily like the XForged better.

Now it could partly be the shaft or just a small sample size, I need to do some more testing.
Doesn't sound that silly. I combo'd the XFCB a couple different ways. Across models, across brands, etc. I really liked playing the XFCB longs with P7MC shorts a couple times. And the Apex Pro long irons are really good. I plan to use the 4i with my TCB's 5-A. Whatever works best for you is smart, not silly.

Back