Robadamski

Reaction score
Handicap
I've always used standard size grips but I just bought a mint condition used set of G410 irons with Winn Dri-Tech Midsize grips. I am surprised that I am really liking the feel of them. I feel like I don't have to grip the clubs as tightly as before. What have been people's experiences moving from standard to midsize grips?

Last edited:
Just switched and I like the change!

While the science says thinner for draw, thicker for fade or vice versa (can't remember) I had the same feeling when I switched. Felt I wasn't strangling it everytime, felt I could release wrists better.

It is a great change and should keep your hands more relaxed. The dry tac is a great grip if you play in any humidity at all.

I really like larger grips. My irons are midsize with extra wraps.

But I am loving the thinner lamkin grips that come on the MD5 wedges, I will only change them if I can get as close to that feel with cobra Connect grips (starting to lose patience with screw in sensors

I really like midsize, I feel like it helps me keep a relaxed grip on the club rather than squeezing the life out of it.

I switched to midsize grips 8 years ago as arthritis in my hands started to bother me. It has made my grip relax more and I control the club better than regular grips. I had a tendency to tighten my grip with regular. A relaxed grip is always better.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I switched to midsize grips 8 years ago as arthritis in my hands started to bother me. It has made my grip relax more and I control the club better than regular grips. I had a tendency to tighten my grip with regular. A relaxed grip is always better.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Football caused me to break almost all my fingers and I'm 64, so I'm afraid that arthritis is just around the corner for me too.

I’ll second the Winn Dry-Tac midsize recommendation. I can’t do standard grips, and the Dry-Tacs are great for me in humidity and have held up pretty well compared to other Winns I’ve had.

I have gone to midsize due to arthritis in my fingers. Less of a squeeze, less pain, and more consistency as a result.

Football caused me to break almost all my fingers and I'm 64, so I'm afraid that arthritis is just around the corner for me too.

Wow. I only broke about half of mine, 🤣

It is tough on the hands. My problem was getting them in between facemasks. Not good on them.

Positive. I could then have 10# of athletic tape wrapped around my hand and a shot of morphine. No pain and a war club? Bring it! 😂

I have large hands and favor midsize grips or 2-3 extra wraps. Bubba, Bryson and many others use build up grips.

I play midsize grips. They “fit” my hands. Standard feel like a pencil.
I dabbled with JumboMax. It sure turned my draw/hook into a fade/push right/slice.

after proper lessons I learned I was fixing the wrong thing with that dramatic of a grip change and attracted the shanks.

I like the midsize MCC grips I put on. it does seem to keep my hands more relaxed

Loving the feel of my midsize grips (MCC+4), though I have one club with a standard Align grip that I hit very well... much more consistently than any others, and I know my grip technique is an issue for me. Thinking about swapping them all for Midsized Aligns to keep the feel but get that little extra help setting up the same every time.

I currently have midsize grips on a set of irons. Still undecided if I like them better than standard size.

I like midsize grips with more mass at the bottom of the grip.

Last edited:
I personally do this. 2 wraps extra upper part of grip for L hand area, and 3 for lower as my R hand is like many people 1/2 inch longer. Mainly psychological but then when I regrip especially the driver I just go ahead and do a mid size. I do prefer to keep regular size grip in wedges and putter as I think again, and probably totally psychological it gives me more feel.

I just switched to midsize mcc +4 from the standard and I am loving it. Fits my hands better, has allowed me to relax my grip pressure, and has taken away some of my flippy rotation tendencies.

I've been using soft mid-size grips for about 10 years and think they help relax my grip some.

I switched to midsize several years ago, just a much more comfortable feel for me. They do tend to weigh considerably more than standard, so will change your swing-weight some, I think usually lowering the number by about two.

That is an excellent point, however these Winn grips weigh 48 g, the same weight as the Golf Pride Tour Wrap 2G grips I typically use.

Back