Do you learn more from your mistakes or triumphs?

im a debbie downer that only focuses on the bad ones and trying not to duplicate

I learn more from my good shots. It is just that simple.

If I dwelled on all my bad shots I would have quit long ago.

I like to follow something my Dad always says to me when we play together..."If you hit 1 good shot a hole, be happy. Could be the drive, the approach or even the putt. And if you hit 2 good shots a hole, count your blessings".

Was it Arnold Palmer that said he only hit 4 or 5 "good" shots a round on average? I remember reading that quote somewhere a while back...

I think most of us learn from both. When I am lining up a shot I know where my strengths lie and have, recently, gotten into the habit of trying to picture how I want to play a particular hole, shot by shot. It can be very rewarding, and true positive reinforcement when it comes off.

The whole 'picture the shot' thing is really working for me right now. If you have hit a certain shot well in the recent past then, there is no reason why you can't do it again. 'Seeing' the shot beforehand, for me at least, is paying some dividends.

I try to learn from the bad, not while on the course though. I note really poor shots on my scorecard then next time I'm at the range I try to recreate that scenario best I can.

Example: Thursday I hit an awful 40 yd wedge shot that was very close to a sh@nk right into a greenside bunker. Today I hit about 30 balls from 40 yds until I felt confident again.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

For me, it goes both ways (hmmmmmmmmm, poor choice of words there)

For my golf swing, I learn way more from my triumphs than my mistakes. For instance, I spent the past 6 weeks slicing my driver bad. One freebie tip from a local golf pro and two swings later, he had my driver swing fixed. I quickly learned where to put the ball in my stance. I learned from a positive result in 2 swings, whereas I learned nothing in 6 weeks of negative results.

For my mental game, I definitely learn more from my mistakes. My swing is my swing, and there are good and bad swings, but when I make a poor choice mentally, or let a bad hole ruin the rest of my round, I tend to learn from those mistakes. This past week, I hit a poor shot off the tee and toe-sliced an iron out into the rough and a few trees. Well, then I got greedy, tried to punch a shot that I knew was difficult, ended up putting it right into tiny spruce tree. So, drop the ball out of the tree and penalty, at that point, I lost my mental focus, took a quadruple bogey on a par 3, and ended it on the 9th hole with a double bogey on a par 3. But I learned from it, I learned I need to figure out a way to shake off bad shots, and I learned that there was no reason to get greedy and try that punch shot through a narrow opening.

Back