Srixon ZX5 and ZX7 Irons Review

Love the shorter irons so I kept the ZX-7s for 8-PW. Knowing my game, I decided to use my JPX 921 Forged for 5-7 irons and hybrid for the 4 iron. I

I could have used the 7 iron from the ZX-7 but it didn't look as good in the bag. (I know that's a ridiculous reason but it's nice to have 3 irons, 3 irons and 3 wedges.)

The nice thing about the mizuno's in my combo is the sole width is not as wide as the ZX-5s, otherwise I would have gone that route.

I still find it bonkers how backordered these are. I am hearing delivery dates of mid May for February orders.

I still find it bonkers how backordered these are. I am hearing delivery dates of mid May for February orders.
I feel so lucky to have had my order in the day before preorder and received them a week later.

I feel so lucky to have had my order in the day before preorder and received them a week later.
Indecision was not rewarded this year. You did good getting after it quick.

Indecision was not rewarded this year. You did good getting after it quick.
Was an easy decision after being able to test the set from you. 🤛

I was lucky that the stock Nippon shafts fit me perfectly so picked it up same day at PGA SS.

I was lucky that the stock Nippon shafts fit me perfectly so picked it up same day at PGA SS.
The stock nippons are the longest back order.. haha

It’s crazy how Srixon gets no love where I live. Our local shop has never carried them prior to this year but have a set of zx7’s, zx5’s and 1 set of zx4’s on the shelf and when talking to them they make it sound like not one person has shown any interest them. If I wasn’t already set this year those zx7’s would be in my bag. I just hope they sell so that they will continue to stock Srixon gear. They aren’t getting any of the woods in as they don’t think anyone would look at them

Decided to get zx5 5-7 iron, 8-pw zx7. I need help choosing shafts, modus 105R 105S, or 120 s. Last time i was fitted they put me into modus 105R I just worry about the 105's because my most accurate club is a 54 degree RTX wedge, with a DG S400 in it.!! No opportunity to hit different shafts in same head here. Views??

Another good round ball striking wise. A few flubs with the long irons but definitely user error as it will be most of the time. I’m still working on distances. It’s absolutely insane to me that with stiffer shafts I’m seeing a club almost a club and a half more. Like crazy that I’m getting 145-150 ish out of my 9 iron on a decent or basic swing.

Gap wedge continues to shine as @pjleduc can attest. I’m loving that dang thing.

one minor negative I am somewhat noticing now. The top line is kind of squarish on the longer irons. Not like thick of course but kind of a chunk look haha. I think what is negative about it is it doesn’t match/flow well with the lower irons 🤷🏽‍♂️

They are awesome sticks. Just finished 4th round in 4 days, 77,77,74,73. Getting easier to hit and cannot believe how forgiving they are. Hit them if you get the chance, you won’t be disappointed

They are awesome sticks. Just finished 4th round in 4 days, 77,77,74,73. Getting easier to hit and cannot believe how forgiving they are. Hit them if you get the chance, you won’t be disappointed
You are on fire with these!!!!!

You are on fire with these!!!!!
Putting has been extremely good as well, but they have been putting me in much better positions than the TM 790’s I was gaming before these.

Putting has been extremely good as well, but they have been putting me in much better positions than the TM 790’s I was gaming before these.
Agree 100%, GIR is up 4-5 more per round so far since I put them in play.

First things first .... Thank you Jman for the great review and everyone else who had input on the Srixon irons. It didn't take much but I was sucked right in. And I thank you all. So I jumped in with both feet because I'm a sucker (lover) of Shiny new golf clubs. Placed my order on the 16th of February and today my ZX5s arrived. I purchased the 5 thru PW with the UST Recoil 95 F4. I was able to hit the PW before the sun set and I hope to get out to the course this weekend. These iron are thing of beauty. PXL_20210323_234814428.jpg

Another good round ball striking wise. A few flubs with the long irons but definitely user error as it will be most of the time. I’m still working on distances. It’s absolutely insane to me that with stiffer shafts I’m seeing a club almost a club and a half more. Like crazy that I’m getting 145-150 ish out of my 9 iron on a decent or basic swing.

Gap wedge continues to shine as @pjleduc can attest. I’m loving that dang thing.

one minor negative I am somewhat noticing now. The top line is kind of squarish on the longer irons. Not like thick of course but kind of a chunk look haha. I think what is negative about it is it doesn’t match/flow well with the lower irons
Yeah man, you were money with that thing.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

It’s crazy how Srixon gets no love where I live. Our local shop has never carried them prior to this year but have a set of zx7’s, zx5’s and 1 set of zx4’s on the shelf and when talking to them they make it sound like not one person has shown any interest them. If I wasn’t already set this year those zx7’s would be in my bag. I just hope they sell so that they will continue to stock Srixon gear. They aren’t getting any of the woods in as they don’t think anyone would look at them
This is honestly my biggest frustration and it’s not really srixons fault. Nobody local carries anything Srixon and there are never demo days by me. Closest shop is over an hour away but I wasn’t very satisfied with the fitting

This is honestly my biggest frustration and it’s not really srixons fault. Nobody local carries anything Srixon and there are never demo days by me. Closest shop is over an hour away but I wasn’t very satisfied with the fitting
Are you on Long Island?

Another round with these today and so far these are the distance progression on playing off...

GW- 135
PW- 155
9i- 165
8i- 175-180
7i-190-195
6i- 195-200
5i-205-210
4i- 215-220

Like I said before these are much longer than I am used to by about 10-15yrd or so, but I am getting a good high ball flight paired with the OTI 100x that I have ZERO issues stopping the ball. Im actually getting plenty of action into the green from the 7i to the GW. I may bend the GW 1deg strong to 50 deg instead of 51deg. Doubt i will see a big difference but that will allow me to put a in a 54deg wedge instead of a 56 to tighten up the gaps on the lower end

Received my ZX5/ZX7 combo set last week - loving them so far! Had a few issues with the build (probably because I customized the hell out of them) so actually just sent back a few of the clubs to have them fixed. Repair order turnaround was only 2 weeks versus waiting for new ones to be shipped out, which would have been 6-8 weeks. Must be popular irons ;)

20210228_220010.jpg
(I'll take some more pics soon, I promise)

I now have a few rounds on the new irons, including one competition, and am thoroughly enjoying the forgiveness and feel. My only criticism right now was my shaft choice. I went with Modus 125 irons shafts after hitting about 6 or 7 different shaft options during fitting. Well now that I have them in my hands I'm finding my dispersion isn't great. I have the dreaded two-way miss, usually related to bad tempo with my swing which pops up most often when playing competitively. I'm going to be ordering some DG 120 X100s which I also have in my Pings. Not sure if it's the shaft profile, tip stiffness, or what, but they are much more accurate for me overall.

Super excited to get these tuned up over the next few weeks. Oh and I enjoyed the feel so much that I was regretting not ordering the AW, so placed a follow-up order and just received it a few days ago. First swing with the new AW was solid:

20210323_184611.jpg

Also couldn't help myself during the fitting - ordered some Zipcore RAW wedges with some custom grinds (50, 56, and 60). Super excited to receive them as well. Turns out the Hand Polishing option is causing huge delays, so told them to hold off if it means getting them shipped sooner. When they get here there will be some fun battles with the SM8s in the SW/LW spots and against the beautiful ZX7 AW. Will update will photos/impressions as I get more time with them.

Picked up my ZX7's yesterday morning. Got to get in a quick 9 after work. No time to warm-up or anything, just met a group on 14 and and played 14-18,10-14 (10 holes I guess).

I can already tell, I'm going to love these irons. They are going to take a little getting used to because I'm hitting them STRAIGHT. Not used to that, so I'm missing right of the flag. I hit 7 iron shots in those 10 holes and all 7 of them were center-face, nice contact. One bad pull on an approach but that wasn't the clubs fault, that was my fault. Other than that, I was aiming 5 yds off the right side of the flag, and left the majority of them 5 yds off the right side of the flag lol.

Did not notice the longer irons being difficult to hit at all. I was slightly concerned after reading people going with a combo set in the 5-7. I hit a 4 iron on a par 3 and a 5 iron approach and they felt just as easy to hit as the 8 iron. To be fair, I don't have an issue with getting the ball up in the air, but they were dead straight with a piercing trajectory. I was previously hitting i500 and would get some balloon/floater type flights sometimes, even when hit center-faced. The ZX7's feel wonderful and have a sound I prefer over the i500s. For some reason, I was playing i500s at an inch longer than standard. My ZX7s are standard length and I felt so much more "in-control" of the club face.

As most know, the look is fantastic. Right when I stepped on to the tee box, everyone in the group was itching to look at them. Lots of OOOOOs and AAHHHs. The look at address is beautiful. It wouldn't shock me to see a few more people at the club playing these in the future.

Overall, I can't wait to get a few rounds in with these to get them dialed in. No regrets on this purchase at all so far.

Another round in.

front nine was super rough. No so much any piece of equipment. I just couldn’t swing decently (mainly short game wise). Back nine though. Game turned around and played super well. Distances are getting pretty dialed for full shots.

feel is so good on clean strikes. I really can’t get over it haha. Toe strikes are rough in the feels obviously but still performing pretty decently result wise.

I've decided that the only way to get my ZX7's the playtime they deserve is to same shaft them. No excuse they might hold me back then right? So as sexy as they look with the blackouts, when my TCB's get here the 7's are getting the IO 6.5 treatment. That's as close to plug and play as I can make them and will therefore have no excuse but to play them.

Back