2021 TaylorMade TP5 and TP5x Golf Balls

The difference for the TP5, which cannot be determined from their testing, is the wind affect due to the change in dimples. I was borderline too high spin with this ball in the wind and hoping this change makes it ideal for me.
Yeah, TP5 is my ball and I didn't see much difference on limited monitor time. We'll see how it is out in the real world.

20210305_104125.jpg

Well color me a little impressed with the X. Felt and sounded improved off the tee and got good distance. A 223 yd 5i with a slight helping breeze dropped like a feather. Had a couple great tester wedge shots - 92yd partial 54* backed up about 8' with ease, 50 yd 54* from a real tricky spot spun as good as anything I play and nearly went in, and holed a 28 yd bunker shot from a downhill lie above my feet that looked to have good spin.

I mean.. It's early, but I feel like I could work with that :confused2:. Definitely seemed close in performance on the spin shots to other elite balls. Didn't notice anything as far as deterrent in the mid irons, but it's a little damp still and a couple were into pretty decent wind. Hard to say.

I wish they would release a yellow pix with black triangles.

So I played the TP5x exclusively today and I feel like it's a pretty decent improvement over the prior gen. I had a couple lower spin mid irons get away from me a touch, but that has alway happened with these, and it's why I like TP5. They feel better off the irons and driver though. The complaint seemed to be the partial wedge spin. I never really had any problems with the old ones on that. I'm pretty high spin on those shots. These seem to be better though. I honestly don't need to play them any differently than I historically have with my other balls. The old ones were so hard that the feel wasn't great even if the shot was, which is a tough swallow for some. I've played a bunch of low face spinners that give you the full feel with these though, and nothing has stood out to me as unpleasant really.

And I've personally been spinning the **** out them. Backed up 120y AW from fairway bunker on #1 what looked to be about 6', pulled back an 86y partyial 54* 22' on #2, flighted 9i on 3 didn't release at all, 75 yard clippy on #4 had plenty and spun right to the hole, etc etc. I was backing up MG2's right at the pin all day with them. Honestly put on a spin show, so I would think they're fairly improved on that for most. :confused2:

Clubbed down off a lot of tees today, but the few I did go after got good distance in breezy conditions with noticable height, and I haven't had to really ditch any for scuffs/abrasions earlier than anything else I play so the cover seems decent. I don't know. I feel like it's a ball a lot of people will like.

Last edited:

I dont think the truvis is alignment focused. Whereas Pix is.
Callaway- Truvis is specifically designed to maximize your view of the golf ball for better focus and visibility.

1615238454731.png

I've noticed what seems like a bunch of TM guys on tour switching to the X the last couple weeks. Some that surprise me a bit. Seemed like DJ was about the only guy towards the top that played the last version, but appears to have changed now.

Last edited:
Thanks for the write up @ddec! These are in my bag for the start of this season thanks to a TM rep hooking me up with a dozen. I played them yesterday and really loved the ball flight, feel, and responsiveness on the green.

Played the new TP5 over the weekend, and kind of like my initial first impressions, I can't tell much difference. :confused2: Pretty expected observations and outcomes. Which is fine since that's the ball I play and I like it. I did really enjoy my limited time with the new ProV1s though... That may have jumped back ahead of TP5 for me, but will take some direct comparison now that the TP's are out. When I'm done testing the TP5x a bit more, I think I'll do that. Going to play the TP5x some more this week though. It's really been performing well, and I do like firmer balls so I'm going play through the ones I have.

Saw the new TP5x in yellow in store today. Have a couple friends who grabbed some of my whites and liked them that have been waiting for yellow to show up, so nabbed a couple boxes for them and one for myself. Yellow isn't usually my thing, but sometimes it's fun.

Still been pretty impressed with the X, and played the regular TP5 over the weekend to really good effect. Love the feel of that ball.

Saw the new TP5x in yellow in store today. Have a couple friends who grabbed some of my whites and liked them that have been waiting for yellow to show up, so nabbed a couple boxes for them and one for myself. Yellow isn't usually my thing, but sometimes it's fun.

Still been pretty impressed with the X, and played the regular TP5 over the weekend to really good effect. Love the feel of that ball.
What would you say are the advantages of each relative to the other?

Played today after work weather in the seventies in March is pretty amazing. Third round with the Epic Max LS and was using a couple different balls , all prior generation to compare. The TP5X felt and performed the best off the LS. Warm weather, the Epic Max LS and the TP5X combined for some really nice drives. Even drives I didn't think I made great contact on really went. Will have to try the new TP5X and see. If not I need to pick up more of the last generation. Great write up @ddec.

I golf both balls and love them equally. Looking forward to the new ones!

What would you say are the advantages of each relative to the other?
I really like TP5 for irons. That's where my obsession lives - new and shocking information, right?! :LOL:. I can get a little lower spin in the 5-7 iron range than I want with a lot of balls with that kind of feel though. Too old to give up distance with a ball that spins a lot more though, and they tend to fly higher too. I like to keep it down. 5 has always been a good middle ground for me. Good ball speed, good feel but not squishy, good spin, and really nice greenside and putting. I honestly like firmer though. The old X was seriously firm. Hard, really. Great for bombing drives, but most people didn't love it on feel. Didn't bother me too much, but it spun a good amount less on irons too, which is a really playable thing for a lot of people - I didn't love that though. New one definitely has a little more iron spin, and much better feel.

So if you like V1-ish flight and feel, TP5 similar, but I like the flight a little better out in the elements. V1x obviously more the opposite direction of TP5x from v1/p5 though. 1x spins more and seems to fly noticably higher in the new version. So if that isn't for someone but they want the firmer ball, new 5x still spins a little lower on irons (but not as much as before) and can add some distance without being a rock this time around. I really like it and other firmer balls off insert putters too.

Wedge work has been really good with the TP5x for me too, so with that, any distance is a bonus. I'll have to play it more when it's drier to see how it plays for me in the mid irons on conditions like that, but I could definitely play the new version if that isn't a problem.

Last edited:
I really like TP5 for irons. That's where my obsession lives - new and shocking information, right?! :LOL:. I can get a little lower spin in the 5-7 iron range than I want with a lot of balls with that kind of feel though. Too old to give up distance with a ball that spins a lot more though, and they tend to fly higher too. I like to keep it down. 5 has always been a good middle ground for me. Good ball speed, good feel but not squishy, good spin, and really nice greenside and putting. I honestly like firmer though. The old X was seriously firm. Hard, really. Great for bombing drives, but most people didn't love it on feel. Didn't bother me too much, but it spun a good amount less on irons too, which is a really playable thing for a lot of people - I didn't love that though. New one definitely has a little more iron spin, and much better feel.

So if you like V1-ish flight and feel, TP5 similar, but I like the flight a little better out in the elements. V1x obviously more the opposite direction of TP5x from v1/p5 though. 1x spins more and seems to fly noticably higher in the new version. So if that isn't for someone but they want the firmer ball, new 5x still spins a little lower on irons (but not as much as before) and can add some distance without being a rock this time around. I really like it and other firmer balls off insert putters too.

Wedge work has been really good with the TP5x for me too, so with that, any distance is a bonus. I'll have to play it more when it's drier to see how it plays for me in the mid irons on conditions like that, but I could definitely play the new version if that isn't a problem.
The new TP5x seems like a winner for me. I would be curious to compare it to the new ChromeSoft X LS.

Been a huge fan of Tp5X and I expect it to continue to be my go to this year.

I just messaged back and forth with a TaylorMade CS rep regarding the buy 3 and get 1 free ball deal. The website says that the yellow and pic versions are not available for purchase until April 9. I asked the rep if the same deal would be offered then on the other balls. The response: “TaylorMade has not released that information yet.” That is a bit of a cop out to me.

The new TP5x seems like a winner for me. I would be curious to compare it to the new ChromeSoft X LS.
I think that's gonna be a pretty good battle for a lot of people.

I just messaged back and forth with a TaylorMade CS rep regarding the buy 3 and get 1 free ball deal. The website says that the yellow and pic versions are not available for purchase until April 9. I asked the rep if the same deal would be offered then on the other balls. The response: “TaylorMade has not released that information yet.” That is a bit of a cop out to me.
You should have responded with “well tenputt wants to know”

Re-reading this again now that I've slept, sort of. The yellow isn't supposed to hit retail until April 9th?! 🤔. I don't know how they don't get themselves in trouble here putting things out early like this. It's so weird.

Re-reading this again now that I've slept, sort of. The yellow isn't supposed to hit retail until April 9th?! 🤔. I don't know how they don't get themselves in trouble here putting things out early like this. It's so weird.
I kept wondering why the yellow and pics were not showing up in the stores. I have really wanted to try the TP5X before settling on a ball for the year, and maybe even the TP5, but much prefer yellow for my eyes to see the ball flight better. The stores could not explain why. I presumed it was supply chain issues, similar to what we are seeing with so much of the new equipment. I finally looked on the website and saw the date of April 9 for availability. I have been curious how you always seem to get your hands on things early.

D6F46A69-0F69-49B8-980D-3423289D72A8.png

I kept wondering why the yellow and pics were not showing up in the stores. I have really wanted to try the TP5X before settling on a ball for the year, and maybe even the TP5, but much prefer yellow for my eyes to see the ball flight better. The stores could not explain why. I presumed it was supply chain issues, similar to what we are seeing with so much of the new equipment. I finally looked on the website and saw the date of April 9 for availability. I have been curious how you always seem to get your hands on things early.

View attachment 8999451
Well I got in a bit a trouble earlier this year for sharing something that wasn't out yet, but I'm leaning towards tough **** on that one now when I see more things like this. I mean, I can keep a secret on demo'ing clubs and stuff early, but if you've got it out on the shelves/racks at the store before you're supposed to, how the eff am I supposed to know that?!

Back