I would like to see these side by side with the ZX5 irons! The ZX5 irons were way more chunkier than I thought they would be when I saw them last week!

Nice write-up Dean! Somehow I missed all the Srixon ZX releases & threads (Jman picked a great time to get out of the teaching biz lol!) Watching them all now & I'm eager to see what everyone thinks of the ZX4's & ZX5 irons & a possible blended set.

I played the 355 line for a short while and these look much better. I can see some who will like the 4&5 irons in these for the forgiveness.
I liked the 355's a lot - the tech in this new lineup is impressive. I hope people try these out. The 355 irons were a great "bang for the buck" choice - I expect these will be too.

Watching the Instagram video now. Love the fact that the sound of each carries over from ZX4 to the ZX5 and ZX7. Thinking that, if I were to get into Srixon again, I'd go ZX5, I think now I have to think about a ZX4 in the 4i and 5i, then ZX5 thru to PW. Having the Mainframe tech is both those irons giving you high ball speed sounds great, as long as I can retain the accuracy I saw with my old 565/765 set.

The only thing I don't care for is the look of the ZX4. The 5 and 7 look nearly identical on the face, and it's a look I really enjoy, but the 4 really sticks out. Maybe not a big deal, but something I noticed.

Also, V sole FTW! Give me such clean contact through a variety of lies. Should never be underestimated.

I'm with you on the looks part. I love how the ZX5 irons look, but I could see using at least a 5 iron in the ZX4. And I'd be curious to see if the ZX4 4-iron would be easier to hit consistently than a hybrid (I typically struggle with hybrids)

Happy release day!

I ran across a set of these at the golf store today. Pretty impressed with how these look in hand. They are a great looking hollow body that definitely rounds out Srixon's lineup, and I think will be competitive with other irons of the same breed. I also found RadSpeed on the wall next to them, and held them up for a comparison. The ZX4 have the V-sole, and width is slightly more generous here than the Radspeed, which is slightly narrower and has a radiused profile that looks quite effective. The ZX4 were slightly more compact heel-toe. Both are playing in the same ballpark.

4i
40C2C840-E500-4CC8-8187-85A41589EE23.jpeg5C5DA94E-C168-42D1-B95A-12D2ED7B4EFF.jpeg

7i
AF6B8E5A-5893-4D03-85A3-28589A9A2EA4.jpeg820454A2-6390-442F-8D24-C60629E49E3E.jpeg

PW
5CC21252-12E6-4B7F-BEAF-B2B4DF7B97BB.jpegE21C3F58-A4AF-4EB1-9E3D-D63D3C63BC4E.jpeg

With RadSpeed PW
1041669D-4BD3-40A5-9C6D-B76A9010A10C.jpeg954BCE4F-6B74-46AA-8366-6A9B177AB063.jpeg917E2760-5802-49E7-A767-C8C5AE12D3EF.jpeg

I ran across a set of these at the golf store today. Pretty impressed with how these look in hand. They are a great looking hollow body that definitely rounds out Srixon's lineup, and I think will be competitive with other irons of the same breed. I also found RadSpeed on the wall next to them, and held them up for a comparison. The ZX4 have the V-sole, and width is slightly more generous here than the Radspeed, which is slightly narrower and has a radiused profile that looks quite effective. The ZX4 were slightly more compact heel-toe. Both are playing in the same ballpark.

The way I measure I had the RAD and ZX4 about dead even on head measurements. Very comparable size wise for sure.

RAD
Face width (toe to where the hosel bends) 3”
Sole width 1”
Toe height 2”

ZX4
Face width: 3”
Sole: 1”
Toe:: 2 1/8

pics of the 7i comparison to the RAD
79621E08-3F87-4B60-9EAF-FEFA2FE31612.jpeg

The way I measure I had the RAD and ZX4 about dead even on head measurements. Very comparable size wise for sure.

RAD
Face width (toe to where the hosel bends) 3”
Sole width 1”
Toe height 2”

ZX4
Face width: 3”
Sole: 1”
Toe:: 2 1/8

You are right, they are very similar in overall size. I didn't have a ruler and won't dispute your numbers... my impressions on sole width mostly based on visual cues and first looks.

They are LONG. I was hitting them further than the Callaway Apex DCB. :oops:
I concur with this, I have hit them in the Tech Studio and they are longer than even the Apex DCBs & probably the longest iron in the Tech Studio at the moment...

They aren’t a full club longer than the Apex DCBs , but they are longer.

This is the reason that the new Srixon Utilities only go to 4 iron & not the 6 iron like the U85s.

Ordered a 6i bent 1* strong a couple days ago. The spot between my 22* hybrid and 7i has always given me trouble. Maybe this one is the ticket

I saw a test 7i at the PGATSS last weekend - The have that "T400" look to them.
The heads are heavy.
Think their is set a of golfers that this club will help for sure.

Last edited:
Waiting for my ZX4 5 iron. Doesn’t appear that I will get it before my trip in a week. Kind of a bummer, but I get the logistical delays.

Waiting for my ZX4 5 iron. Doesn’t appear that I will get it before my trip in a week. Kind of a bummer, but I get the logistical delays.

I’m in the same boat. Hoping it shows up before I leave for Branson but I don’t expect it to

I swung the 7i yesterday and man alive, the ZX4 get up and GO! And they feel fantastic, Srixon just seems to get feel right consistently. These are not the type I would usually play, but would love the idea of taking a set out on course for a few rounds. Playing a set like this would completely rearrange my bag, playing 7i off 190-195 carry 🤯. Oh the possibilities!

These irons are seriously fantastic. Not often an oversized iron like this with a hollow construction sounds as good as this, but this one is downright perfect in pitch.

6i made it yesterday. I hit it some into my backyard setup. Feels really good, I was surprised. It gets its first on course action Sunday at Ozark Nat’l

6i made it yesterday. I hit it some into my backyard setup. Feels really good, I was surprised. It gets its first on course action Sunday at Ozark Nat’l
You will need it if the wind keeps up. I hope my 5i is on its way.

I watched a video where Crossfield is putting the ZX4’s in the bag in a weird setup with 2 PW’s (ZX4, Z Forged) a launcher six iron etc...Should be interesting to see how he gets on with it. He seems to adapt rather easily to what he puts in.

Ordered a 6i bent 1* strong a couple days ago. The spot between my 22* hybrid and 7i has always given me trouble. Maybe this one is the ticket

I'm thinking about a ZX4 to put in the 5-iron spot my ZX5 set. The 5-iron is the line of demarcation in my bag. I love my 22* hybrid. I love my 6-iron. But I just don't have the same confidence with the 5-iron. My only concern is the reports of how hot it is. The ZX5 5-iron is 24*. The ZX4 5-iron is 23*. My hybrid is 22* albeit with a longer shaft than what the ZX4 5 iron would play with.

Would it play an 'in-between yardage' or closer to the hybrid.

Did you get a chance to test your 6 iron out in Branson?

5 rounds in 3 days and I hit the 6i a lot more than I thought I would. I don’t know how much stock to put into what I saw though because of some of the conditions. I’m also having an issue with fat and heel shots but I think that may be a shaft weight issue.

Saying all that there are a few positives to talk about. First this thing gets the ball in the air. If you struggle with height look at these irons. I was hitting this 6i as high as my G425 PW.

Second, it’s pretty damn forgiving. Even on the heel shots I was probably getting 80-90% of my expected distance the ball just went higher and right.

Third, don’t worry about the ball stopping on the green. It goes so high that is not an issue. I had one shot in particular that stands out. I was 175-180 out and the shot was uphill and had to carry a bunker and stop quick. It did both easy

From what I saw it gaps pretty well between my 7w and 7i. I need more time with it to see if I need to look into a heavier shaft to stop the fat shots but so far it looks like a keeper

Last edited:
I bought a ZX4 4 iron sight unseen. I absolutely love it. I can use it as a driving(ish) iron and from the fairway into par 5's pretty well.

I think most actual driving irons are one trick ponies and end up even if you use them off of 4 or 5 tees a round, become a loss leader in your bag.

What I mean is driving irons typically cost more than a regular SGI or GI iron. In some cases quite a bit more. For how little you use it and the cost, it can become a loss leader. While SGI and GI irons are much cheaper and I think have more all around game ability. They are much easier to hit off the turf than a driving iron.

I bought a ZX4 4 iron sight unseen. I absolutely love it. I can use it as a driving(ish) iron and from the fairway into par 5's pretty well.

I think most actual driving irons are one trick ponies and end up even if you use them off of 4 or 5 tees a round, become a loss leader in your bag.

What I mean is driving irons typically cost more than a regular SGI or GI iron. In some cases quite a bit more. For how little you use it and the cost, it can become a loss leader. While SGI and GI irons are much cheaper and I think have more all around game ability. They are much easier to hit off the turf than a driving iron.

I used a Titleist t400 iron in this fashion last season.

I have the ZX4 in 4 iron, the ZX 5 in 5 iron, and 6-PW in the ZX4. Here are some comparison pics in hand. Yes they are dirty, and yes I need to clean them.

Attachments

• File_000 (16).jpeg
    File_000 (16).jpeg
    110.4 KB · Views: 26
  • File_000 (15).jpeg
    File_000 (15).jpeg
    52.7 KB · Views: 26
  • File_000 (14).jpeg
    File_000 (14).jpeg
    62.9 KB · Views: 26
I'm thinking about a ZX4 to put in the 5-iron spot my ZX5 set. The 5-iron is the line of demarcation in my bag. I love my 22* hybrid. I love my 6-iron. But I just don't have the same confidence with the 5-iron. My only concern is the reports of how hot it is. The ZX5 5-iron is 24*. The ZX4 5-iron is 23*. My hybrid is 22* albeit with a longer shaft than what the ZX4 5 iron would play with.

Would it play an 'in-between yardage' or closer to the hybrid.
The distance is going to be golfer specific. If you are a high spin player then the ZX4 5 iron will be closer to your hybrid in total distance. It removes a bit more spin the the ZX5 does shot for shot for most people and the higher launch will carry it farther. However the extra handle length on your hybrid and the fact that they already are lower spin then most iron counterparts means it should go farther when both are hit on the Sweet spot.

Back