Sun Mountain Micro-Cart Preview

Hawk

Master Painter
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Sun Mountain sent one of their Micro-Carts for a THP review, and since I've committed to a summer of walking the course, I will be testing it over the coming weeks.

This is a pretty unique looking cart in that it has four wheels instead of the three that you often see. It's has a lower center of gravity for increased stability, solid foam tires, a scorecard/valuables holder with magnetic closure, drink holder, umbrella holder, and place to put your tees, pencils, and a golf ball.

I will definitely be hitting the course up in a couple days to see how it performs. Let me know if you have any questions. In the meantime, here are some pictures.

As you can see, it's a pretty compact package when folded up.

DSC00811.jpg

Here is the handle area and all the accessories that it has.

DSC00814.jpg

Here is a pic without the bag. Notice the pouch for stowing things away.

DSC00812.jpg

Here is a pic with the golf bag. Yes, I've moved my clubs around so the graphite is now on top ;)

DSC00816.jpg

Hawk, have you ever used a 3 wheel cart before? I would like to know how you like the 4 wheels vs a 3 wheeler. This cart looks to be loaded with some nice extras.

Look at you with your green grass! I'll be looking at carts here as the season starts up. I'll be keeping a close eye on this thread! I've always shied away from these carts due to their size. Looking forward to your thoguhts!

I am looking forward to your thoughts on this cart. I almost got a Clic3 on the Deal of the Day fiasco with Sports Authority. I, too, would like your opinion to 3 vs. 4 wheels.

Wow it even matches your bag. Nice setup.

I am looking forward to your thoughts on this cart. I almost got a Clic3 on the Deal of the Day fiasco with Sports Authority. I, too, would like your opinion to 3 vs. 4 wheels.

Yeah, I was involved in that one too, I still would like to have a quality push cart.

Pretty sweet looking cart. I wish my knees and back could still handle walking the courses.

• Staff
I have used quite a few different three wheeled carts. Many bad ones and some pretty good ones. I'm interested to see how four wheels compare to three as well.

Posted via Tapatalk.

Hawk, have you ever used a 3 wheel cart before? I would like to know how you like the 4 wheels vs a 3 wheeler. This cart looks to be loaded with some nice extras.

Been using the Micro since last summer and its a great cart. It is a trade off in some ways.

Pros

Folds up super small.
Folds up so easily its stupid. Just take the bag off turn the knob to loosen it a little and fold. takes literally 2 seconds. Compared to the clicgear (the only 3-wheel i know of that gets close to that small) its 10 times as easy to fold up.
If your inclined it has lots of places to put stuff (I had a ipod docking stereo and a six can cooler on mine without using up any of the 3 extra pockets in the pouch)

Cons
harder to push than a 3 wheel.

Great Cart
Here are a couple pics

25f2amx.jpg

351s66d.jpg

Last edited:
Great timing for this thread I'm going to be buying a push cart in the next month or so

BagBoy also has a 4wheel now.
Here they are side by side. The BagBoy doesn't get quite as small but mainly because of a bigger front wheel.

33kvmdu.jpg

I picked one of these up late last season and I've got nothing but good things to say about it.

It is a bit worse then a 3 wheeler in the muck, but I find it smoother when the grass is in good condition. Turns and round abouts and all of that.

I tell you what. If I ever start walking the course, this will definitely be on my list.

That is an awesome cart...can't wait to hear your thoughts. I love how these carts fold up...I have one with three wheels that needs to be taken apart to be stored, put in my trunk, etc. These seem to be much easier to use...plus the stability of the four wheels is an added bonus.

I just bought a push cart myself, but couldnt spend the big bucks for a fancy smancy one, gotta ease myself back into walking the course again

I have one of these and LOVE it. I had a Bag Boy Express 180 before this (3 wheeler) and I like the MicroCart better...

I'll List some pros and cons of the micro cart vs the 3 wheeler:

Pros:
lightweight, and folds/unfolds in a hurry.
TINY when folded up
Solid wheels, make for easy pushing and no maintenance
perfect fit for my Sun Mountain bag
Great storage for cards/balls phone etc.
Magnetic card holder initially seems like a gimic, but it just plain works.

Cons
No umbrella holder in the thing that screws into the top like the Bag Boy had, umbrella handle can move around
I find it to be tipier than the 3 wheeled cart, mainly due to the size of the wheel.
Brake gave out on me after a year, I can still "park" it by just turning it sideways
minor but the pencils on my course don't fit into the pencil holes.
doesn't roll as easily when I let it go, but still not bad.

One thing I would change, I'd offer different attachments for where the umbrella holder screws into. I'd kill for a GPS/Phone dock for it (maybe something like this exists and I don't know it)

My wife has a Clicgear 2.0 and that too is a beast of a cart. So we do have lots of experience with all kinds of carts. Any questions, fire away!

That's an interesting looking cart. Sun Mountain has been so successful with their 3 wheeled carts I wonder if this will stack up? I am looking forward to your review!

Looks like a lawn mower with those wheels . You know that will be easy to push around the course.

That's a sick looking cart Hawk.....uber portable....and your bag is pretty epic as well.

Hawk, Does that handle fold down farther that you have it in the OP picture? I use the storage compartment all the time during the round and that looks like spill city so I'm assuming it flattens out more than the position you have it in.

I have one and really like it. Very good cart and compact when folded. A bit harder than 3 wheelers to push but I don't mind. Great buy for those that like to walk!
I'd be glad to provide some insights as I had it for almost a year now.

I walked about 80% of the time, so I look forward to hearing this review! I'm a firm believer in Sun Mountain products. I have had two of their bags and loved them both!

Now that my old BagBoy is getting older, it's about time for me to invest in a new cart!

Hawk, Does that handle fold down farther that you have it in the OP picture? I use the storage compartment all the time during the round and that looks like spill city so I'm assuming it flattens out more than the position you have it in.

If Hawk doesn't mind, I can answer this question. When the cart is unfolded, the handle can be adjusted slightly with a screw (may be 5in up or down?) that is the yellow knob in the picture. The compartment that you refer too is closed by a magnet which holds all valuables (cell phone, gps, wallet and at the very top of the compartment I usually put 3 balls) in place quite well. Another nice thing about the compartment is that the plastic is clear so you don't have to open it to see your GPS yardage or what you cell phone is up to. On top of the plastic compartment is another magnet to hold your score card down. This is a VERY strong magnet and have yet to find a wind string enough to blow the card away. Hope this helps...

COnsidering a new cart so this thread is quite timely. I have the SM three-wheeled cart and am torn betwen teh Micro Cart and the Clicgear 3.0. Interested in reading your thoughts Hawk.

Looking forward to your review on this one Hawk. Ever since I saw the cart folded up I was intrigued by the whole push cart idea. Loved reading all of the feedback from everyone on this one. I wish we had more opportunities to walk down here, but it's seriously frowned upon.

Back