JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Over the years we have had many topics in the THP Forum about SST Pure and the process of shaft PUREing. Often polarizing, we wanted to dive in a little deeper. We went right to the source and sat down with SST Pure for another episode of The Quick Six.

THP: What is SST and where did it come from?

Continue reading...

Nice read, thanks for providing.

Something I’ve always wanted to know more about, and a good job explaining it here. It’s still a cost vs value quandary for me, but something I remain curious about experiencing.

Very insightful. Thank @JB. They seem to somewhat understand their service costs more than it's perceived to be worth at this point. Hopefully they can drive the cost down.

Puring is one those things that’s been around for the longest time, and I have no idea if is snake oil or legit. I immediately have regret for not asking this when face to face with shaft designers, but it’s just something I never ever think about.

IMO the equipment could cause a bad result, but I think the odds of it being the equipment user are way more likely the culprit.

Nice Q&A thanks for sharing.

The proof is out there, though. Look at the $2 billion won on Tour; that comes from many of the biggest names in golf PUREing their shafts and having success at the highest level. Look at all of the independent 3rd party testing done by human and robots. NOT one of these tests has ever been able to show that PUREing doesn’t work, but countless have. It’s as real as real gets.

You sold me, take my money.

Good read this morning. I don't know if I would say it's snake oil, and I get the results that they are speaking of, but this one is tough for me. Having sat in a room with shaft experts and manufacturers Ive heard so much from one side that I don't know what to believe.

• Admin
Good read this morning. I don't know if I would say it's snake oil, and I get the results that they are speaking of, but this one is tough for me. Having sat in a room with shaft experts and manufacturers Ive heard so much from one side that I don't know what to believe.

Herein lies the issue and why I so badly wanted to do this interview.
Shaft companies speak about how important fitting is, and always want their products to shine in the best light possible and do not reference Pureing. Perhaps because it could make it look as if the product is flawed, or perhaps they do not believe it be necessary or real. I don't know the answer to that.

I have said for years that if a golfer thinks it works for them, they should absolutely have it done because of the mental side of this game. Does it work? I don't have a definitive answer for me personally.

Great read. Nice to learn more information about a process I have been hearing about for many years but have never experienced it first hand.

Herein lies the issue and why I so badly wanted to do this interview.
Shaft companies speak about how important fitting is, and always want their products to shine in the best light possible and do not reference Pureing. Perhaps because it could make it look as if the product is flawed, or perhaps they do not believe it be necessary or real. I don't know the answer to that.

I have said for years that if a golfer thinks it works for them, they should absolutely have it done because of the mental side of this game. Does it work? I don't have a definitive answer for me personally.

You and I have that similar take in it. Esp the, you think it works...do it, mentality.

Great read. I've heard the term frequently on here but never really understood what it meant. The theory behind it resonates with me, and if it every become viable budgetarily I'd certainly consider having it done.

I guess a followup question I would want to ask is the pros that have their shafts pured, did they ask for it themselves? Or was it just done and they don’t even know?

Probably the biggest question and one with the most important answer: Has Bryson done it? What’s his take on it since he was so involved with the shafts in his clubs?

Great read. I've heard the term frequently on here but never really understood what it meant. The theory behind it resonates with me, and if it every become viable budgetarily I'd certainly consider having it done.

Im going off memory here, but it's fairly inexpensive considering what the machines cost. I believe around $30.

I guess a followup question I would want to ask is the pros that have their shafts pured, did they ask for it themselves? Or was it just done and they don’t even know?

Probably the biggest question and one with the most important answer: Has Bryson done it? What’s his take on it since he was so involved with the shafts in his clubs?

I certainly can't speak to all of them, but I do know that Bryson got his metal woods done. I know that shouldn't surprise a lot of folks, but I asked him when he first got to LA Golf if he was going to and he said he already had.

Im going off memory here, but it's fairly inexpensive considering what the machines cost. I believe around $30.
Well that piques my interest. Is that per club or total?

Well that piques my interest. Is that per club or total?

I only had it done at my driver fitting, so it was part of it, but I believe its per club.

I only had it done at my driver fitting, so it was part of it, but I believe its per club.
Makes sense, thank you!

Puring will be completely unnecessary I think when graphite shafts take over in irons and wedges. The

I certainly can't speak to all of them, but I do know that Bryson got his metal woods done. I know that shouldn't surprise a lot of folks, but I asked him when he first got to LA Golf if he was going to and he said he already had.

Like you had made mention, it wouldn’t surprise me to hear it was to remove variables in the shaft that are just outside his control. If they could make a lightweight rebar that didn’t flex at all, I’m sure Bryson would be all about it.

You and I have that similar take in it. Esp the, you think it works...do it, mentality.
Yeah, I'm not sure about this process either.

On the one hand, I can't argue that any given shaft has a "most stable" configuration when it is loaded cyclically as it is in the machine. But throw a club head onto that shaft, and the C.G. is not in line with the shaft, so now you've introduced torque to the loading of the shaft, and you're looking at entirely different conditions than the testing conditions. It is likely more effective than not, just perhaps not as effective as advertised? In the end, it is a game of variables, and trying to remove as many of those variables as possible can't hurt, right?

The shafts in my current iron set are pured and I can't say that I notice any difference in performance. With that said I didn't try them before being pured, I bought them this way so I guess I can't say whether there was a pured vs non pured difference.

It's a cool concept though and even if a person gets a placebo effect from itI would say it's probably worth it. I think it would be interesting to try a before/after with a driver shaft though to see if there's a difference.

That 85% statistic jumps out at me. I wonder if I could tell or if I'm in that 15%.

Anyone on here ever paid for it? Only place I see it from the OEM is Miura.

Does graphite have more or less imperfections than steel in their findings?

I had mine done as part of the driver build a couple of years ago. I'm a naturally cynical person, and did I see any difference? Possibly not, although in all fairness my swing is in no way consistent enough to be able to tell if flaws were because of the shaft or because of the swing. Is difficult when all the shaft manufacturers tell us that it makes no difference. At the end of the day, I suppose it can't hurt and if gives you more confidence in the club then go for it.

How would it be affected by clubs with adjustable hosels though? Would that not change the orientation of things if you altered the setting?

I don't know I always thought Pureing was snake oil. I'm still not convinced it isn't

Back