I get the concept, but also wonder if my swing would be sensitive enough to notice any difference?

I had mine done as part of the driver build a couple of years ago. I'm a naturally cynical person, and did I see any difference? Possibly not, although in all fairness my swing is in no way consistent enough to be able to tell if flaws were because of the shaft or because of the swing. Is difficult when all the shaft manufacturers tell us that it makes no difference. At the end of the day, I suppose it can't hurt and if gives you more confidence in the club then go for it.

How would it be affected by clubs with adjustable hosels though? Would that not change the orientation of things if you altered the setting?
I think that would depend on how the hosel works? With Callaway, the orientation of the shaft doesn't change so that wouldn't affect it I would have said

I'll add this to the discussion as well. What Honma has done with their adapter on the TW20 and XP1 drivers is aimed directly at this market. Which with them being firmly planted in the Asian marketplace, is no shock.

When it comes to PUREing, I have always heard from both sides. Many think it works and others see the idea as snake oil. I think JB said it correctly in the fact that if the person playing the clubs feels and believes it makes a difference then by all means it does to them. Golf might be one of the most mental and belief in yourself games out there.

If the price point is acceptable then I am one that is always of the mindset it can’t hurt. I probably wouldn’t have it done to my clubs as I switch too often for myself to feel I got my money’s worth. Yet, if I had a particular driver shaft that I loved and would keep as I changed heads, year to year, I wouldn’t mind throwing in the extra.

I'll add this to the discussion as well. What Honma has done with their adapter on the TW20 and XP1 drivers is aimed directly at this market. Which with them being firmly planted in the Asian marketplace, is no shock.
Same thing with the Callaway adapter. At least if I want to change my loft on my Club Champion built driver, I won't be messing with the PUREing process that was included.

The whole back and forth..... shaft manufacturing has gotten really good recently but like any manufacturing process there will be deviations. The question comes down to cost for most of us. Is it worth having it done to save a shot a round? Maybe more? At $20/shaft from golfworks I couldn't bring myself to do that times 13 clubs.

I have clubs that are pured and clubs that are not. Take away the SST sticker from the shaft and I couldn’t tell the difference

Same thing with the Callaway adapter. At least if I want to change my loft on my Club Champion built driver, I won't be messing with the PUREing process that was included.

Yup that is very true. So are you a big believer in the pured process?

Yup that is very true. So are you a big believer in the pured process?
See my previous post. I am not sure if I believe in it or not. I believe that there is a "most stable" orientation for a shaft that is oscillating. I am not sure that that matters as much as advertised in the context of the golf swing.

I got it done on my shafts I bought in January. I figure if I'm gonna spend that kind of money on clubs, I might as well make sure it's as close to perfect as possible. I don't know if it made a difference or not but at least I have confidence that it's as right as it could be.

This process is interesting. I'll admit I am not the most versed in club/shaft tech. My initial thoughts are that this would really only impact a small percentage of golfers. That average hackers wouldn't see a measurable benefit to the cost to pure a whole bag.

I've had good and poor experiences with SST Puring - I remember having it done for my 14 yr old son many years ago in his Bassara driver shaft - he loved that shaft. I thought it did well, too.

Then many years later, about 10 yrs, I had it done on 2 fairway shafts, and hated them. I believe the puring stiffened the shaft the way the club maker installed - I read later if you install the shaft after puring on one side, it gets stiffer, the other side, softer. Before I read that I had trashed those fairways.

I've also had club makers say, today's quality graphite is so good that you don't really need Puring. So what is it? I'm confused.

Interesting read, appreciate the info. Just my opinion but I don’t see the benefit to my game and I’m not willing to spend an additional $350-$400 on top of already fairly expensive clubs, for what might be very incremental gain. If i were a pro, where incremental gains are the difference between being considered a journeyman vs. an absolute star, absolutely, i'd have my shafts "pured" since, i guess, it cant hurt. Again, just my opinion, nothing against anyone who feels this service is of benefit... i hope it is for you.

I’ll take an occasional lesson and practice more to build my mediocre skills.
Maybe when I get good enough, to play on TV, my sponsors will pick up the tab for purring the shafts.. :oops:

I've also had club makers say, today's quality graphite is so good that you don't really need Puring. So what is it? I'm confused.

This is exactly why we wanted to dive in a bit deeper and will have a follow up with those that have questions here. It’s definitely polarizing.

That is good information. It would be cool to see some SST shafts in the tech studio and see if the numbers between the PURED shafts and non PURED shafts show any difference. That is not a cheap option but if it worked well for the golfer why not do it!

There's nothing in the article that convinces me this is necessary.

This process can't fail. I'm not sure if that's a selling point or another reason to call it snake oil. Its not going to make your shaft worse. You've spent $30 on another swing thought at the worst. Cap already beat me to bringing this up, but I see an issue with them testing the shaft with weight positioned in line with the shaft itself when we know that's not how golf clubs are made. The skeptic in me is alarmed by their talk of "well, its a complicated and expensive machine," as well as their continued claim of bringing in 2 billion in winnings. That's a big stretch, even for golf marketing.

They referenced 3rd party studies, does anyone have access to these? I've not seen any, but haven't really looked either. If there was a study where they tested un-pured, pured, and anti-pured shafts against each other and it showed a measurable benefit, I'd buy their service on my next opportunity.

There's nothing in the article that convinces me this is necessary.

This process can't fail. I'm not sure if that's a selling point or another reason to call it snake oil. Its not going to make your shaft worse. You've spent $30 on another swing thought at the worst. Cap already beat me to bringing this up, but I see an issue with them testing the shaft with weight positioned in line with the shaft itself when we know that's not how golf clubs are made. The skeptic in me is alarmed by their talk of "well, its a complicated and expensive machine," as well as their continued claim of bringing in 2 billion in winnings. That's a big stretch, even for golf marketing.

They referenced 3rd party studies, does anyone have access to these? I've not seen any, but haven't really looked either. If there was a study where they tested un-pured, pured, and anti-pured shafts against each other and it showed a measurable benefit, I'd buy their service on my next opportunity.

Theranos made an "expensive and complicated machine"..... Doesn't seem to have worked out that well for Elizabeth Holmes or anyone else either... :oops:

Theranos made an "expensive and complicated machine"..... Doesn't seem to have worked out that well for Elizabeth Holmes or anyone else either... :oops:

Now THATS some kind of comparison!

My current irons were pured as part of the build process. I know I paid extra for it but given the fitting and overall spend I decided why not. I am not sure if it makes that much of a difference or not but I am hitting them well.

I have read that historically it was more important with graphite shafts than steel. I am not sure if that is still the case.

I know that Xcaliber puts an alignment mark on their shafts to have the shafts properly installed. I think it is pretty interesting that they align their shafts during the manufacturing process.

For a set of irons it is an expensive add on though running $200+ for the set depending on how many irons in the bag. At the moment my driver, 5W and wedges have not been pured. I am confident hitting those just like the rest of my clubs.

Curious to hear from others that have had it done. Have you noticed a difference? More confidence? The same?

It would be interesting to see some blind testing with low, mid and high handicappers. The guy mentions it. I'd love to see it in the Tech Studio.

I question whether I could tell one way or another. If you tell me the is pured, I'm going to think it is better whether it actually is or isn't. I'd have to see it to believe it.

I had it done on a set of irons a while back, I can’t honestly say if it made a difference or not. One thing it did for sure though was drive me nuts looking at the shaft labels being on a different spot each shaft.

Thanks, after reading this it makes a lot more sense now.

Great information JB. I have a set of irons with pured shafts. When i compared the same iron head with the same shaft (one Pured and the other not) the pured one had a significantly tighter dispersion. It could all be in my head but we repeated the test without me knowing which was which and it kept coming out the same. I don't necessarily feel anything different when swinging them though.

Awesome read! I’m embarrassed to say I didn’t know what puring was even though I hear about it a lot. I love when companies have data to back up their claims like that.

Back