Cleveland Launcher HB Turbo Irons

I love my Launcher HBs, hit the crap out of the 4 and 5. I hit my Launcher 3 hybrid well but wish the would make an HB 3 iron. Would definitely buy it and most likely replace the hybrid with it. I have the 5 hybrid as well but don't carry it anymore, just seems like the irons launch with a little more control.
I agree with you 100% on that.

Is there a website with shaft details to compare the Miyazaki C. Kua 60 shafts with other options? I have a "spare" set of Tensei Blue TM60 iron shafts and am wondering how they compare, but it seems difficult to find information about these "OEM branded" shafts...

Is there a website with shaft details to compare the Miyazaki C. Kua 60 shafts with other options? I have a "spare" set of Tensei Blue TM60 iron shafts and am wondering how they compare, but it seems difficult to find information about these "OEM branded" shafts...
Could try searching old Cleveland custom catalogs. Might have shaft comparison charts.
If you can’t find them let me know. I may have them saved on my home pc

The Cleveland/Srixon custom catalogs are usually pretty good in terms of providing specs:

Could try searching old Cleveland custom catalogs. Might have shaft comparison charts.
If you can’t find them let me know. I may have them saved on my home pc

Thank you both! Now I just have to find information about the Tensei Blue TM60...

I tried out the 4 Iron in the HB Turbo and did not get along as well as the 5 iron. Keeping my 4H in the bag with no reservations. I hit it better than a “normal” 4 iron but not nearly as high or straight as my Hybrid.

Anyone else realize it is tough to hit full shots with the HB irons (I have HB3) in the 9 and Pitching Wedge? After all of these years, it has dawned on me, I should take another club and choke down or use less swing. The 9 and Pitching Wedge are awesome for chipping, especially after putting on midsized TV grips.

Anyone else realize it is tough to hit full shots with the HB irons (I have HB3) in the 9 and Pitching Wedge? After all of these years, it has dawned on me, I should take another club and choke down or use less swing. The 9 and Pitching Wedge are awesome for chipping, especially after putting on midsized TV grips.
I have not noticed that. Played the fulls etc of launcher HBs and then Turbos and both were fantastic. Turbos are by far the best they have put out.

I haven’t gamed the Turbos or HB’s but did game the 589 Altitudes for about 5-6 seasons.
I played them down to the DW and sometimes even the SW. I found the wedges to be quite good.

The only issue I've had after about 100 rounds is with the HB Turbos is the DW (50deg). From 4 down through PW I get my normal gaps of 11 or so yards per club with the PW going about 110-112 yards. But the DW, which I might expect to be my 100-yard club, just upshoots and comes up short. I don't think I could hit it even 95 yards. More like 92 or 93 absolute max.

I don't know if my particular HB Turbo DW is funky somehow or if maybe my swing just doesn't work well with a hybrid-style club having that much loft. I just start my "wedge set" after the PW and don't use the DW. I can hit a CBX 2 52deg about the same distance as that 50deg DW and with more consistency and a nicer trajectory. Or a 50deg Vokey will go an honest 100 yards for me.

The only issue I've had after about 100 rounds is with the HB Turbos is the DW (50deg). From 4 down through PW I get my normal gaps of 11 or so yards per club with the PW going about 110-112 yards. But the DW, which I might expect to be my 100-yard club, just upshoots and comes up short. I don't think I could hit it even 95 yards. More like 92 or 93 absolute max.

I don't know if my particular HB Turbo DW is funky somehow or if maybe my swing just doesn't work well with a hybrid-style club having that much loft. I just start my "wedge set" after the PW and don't use the DW. I can hit a CBX 2 52deg about the same distance as that 50deg DW and with more consistency and a nicer trajectory. Or a 50deg Vokey will go an honest 100 yards for me.

Could be a spin issue? I know when bagging the PXG Gen 2 SGI irons I lost distance with those wedges over my T-Rails by a good 5-10yds and both had the same lofts (to spec anyway).

Could be a spin issue? I know when bagging the PXG Gen 2 SGI irons I lost distance with those wedges over my T-Rails by a good 5-10yds and both had the same lofts (to spec anyway).
The most recent time I put it in the bag for the couple rounds (to remind myself how much I didn't like it) that thought occurred to me. It goes straight up like on a elevator and then drops straight back down. A couple shots I hit with the DW I followed with a second ball using the 52-degree CBX 2. The CBX 2 shot was much lower and less of an upshoot trajectory (and went five yards farther).

So even at 50deg loft, such a deep and low CG semi-hybrid head probably spins the ball a lot. Combine with a Pro V1x, too much of a good thing maybe. You know me, I normally like all the spin I can get but c'mon!

I am loving the steel shafted Launcher Turbo 6i that I put into the bag a few weeks ago so much that I now have a 4and 5i on the way. These things are money.

I'm looking to buy a used set of the HB or HB Turbos to try but am unsure which shaft to get. I use regular flex in my irons now and have a fiarly smooth swing transition. My driver ss is about 96 mph and I usually hit my 34* 7 iron about 150 yrds total. I am thinking regular flex would be fine. What would be the differences/pros/cons of the graphite vs steel shafts both in regular flex?

I'm looking to buy a used set of the HB or HB Turbos to try but am unsure which shaft to get. I use regular flex in my irons now and have a fiarly smooth swing transition. My driver ss is about 96 mph and I usually hit my 34* 7 iron about 150 yrds total. I am thinking regular flex would be fine. What would be the differences/pros/cons of the graphite vs steel shafts both in regular flex?
Graphite will be lighter and easier on the body. The steel would be a good fit if you’re a feel player, otherwise, if you’re a smooth swinger I’d think either would be a good fit for you. Be good if you could demo them both, it’d help in your decision process. Just from your 7 iron distance and SS, I’d say it’s dealers choice! Good luck in your search.

Graphite will be lighter and easier on the body. The steel would be a good fit if you’re a feel player, otherwise, if you’re a smooth swinger I’d think either would be a good fit for you. Be good if you could demo them both, it’d help in your decision process. Just from your 7 iron distance and SS, I’d say it’s dealers choice! Good luck in your search.

Thanks. Don't really care about feel for these. Since they are so different from traditional irons I really just want to try them for a bit and if I like them I would get fit for the new model that should be released this fall. The steel shaft is about 100g and the graphite is about 60g. Would the weight difference have any effect? Since I am using steel shafts now I am mostly unsure if the graphite being 40g lighter would have any negative effects. Hopefully a positive effect of increasing my swing speed a little.

The most recent time I put it in the bag for the couple rounds (to remind myself how much I didn't like it) that thought occurred to me. It goes straight up like on a elevator and then drops straight back down. A couple shots I hit with the DW I followed with a second ball using the 52-degree CBX 2. The CBX 2 shot was much lower and less of an upshoot trajectory (and went five yards farther).

So even at 50deg loft, such a deep and low CG semi-hybrid head probably spins the ball a lot. Combine with a Pro V1x, too much of a good thing maybe. You know me, I normally like all the spin I can get but c'mon!
You’re not alone. I had the version prior to the Turbo.
I know two guys who still play, and love them, but they just spun way too much for me. I was anywhere from 1 to 2 clubs short from the cf 16’s I played prior.
I loved the look of them, and usually hit my hybrids very well. I really wanted these to work for me, but they were one of my worst golf experiments ever.
btw you’re 100% right about them being great around the green. I don’t think I’ve ever been better with my short game than when I used those. Gosh they were good.

I have the older HB3's and love them and waiting for the new Turbos to come out. I've only played the graphite so it would be hard to compare for me. It seems most hybrid irons sets come out in graphite. I don't know why. Maybe, because they are more like a wood and all woods are graphite?

How about buying one club and checking them out?

I have the older HB3's and love them and waiting for the new Turbos to come out. I've only played the graphite so it would be hard to compare for me. It seems most hybrid irons sets come out in graphite. I don't know why. Maybe, because they are more like a wood and all woods are graphite?

How about buying one club and checking them out?

I'm planning on getting fit for new clubs later in the year and the HB Turbos are one of my top contenders. They are a so different from traditional irons that I wanted to try them in actual play for a while to see how they worked for me. I figured a used set would be pretty cheap and allow me to play them for a few months. Then if I liked them I could get fit for the new HB's this fall. My only concern with the graphite was them being so much lighter. Not sure if that would have a negative effect.

Thanks. Don't really care about feel for these. Since they are so different from traditional irons I really just want to try them for a bit and if I like them I would get fit for the new model that should be released this fall. The steel shaft is about 100g and the graphite is about 60g. Would the weight difference have any effect? Since I am using steel shafts now I am mostly unsure if the graphite being 40g lighter would have any negative effects. Hopefully a positive effect of increasing my swing speed a little.
I’d shop around for a set or partial set in steel then on the cheap till I went for the fitting. You might gain some speed with the graphite but it could be that in that process you’ll hit it all over the place also. You could always use graphite in the 4-7 and steel in the 8-AW. Lots of options but those could wait till the fitting as well.

I'm planning on getting fit for new clubs later in the year and the HB Turbos are one of my top contenders. They are a so different from traditional irons that I wanted to try them in actual play for a while to see how they worked for me. I figured a used set would be pretty cheap and allow me to play them for a few months. Then if I liked them I could get fit for the new HB's this fall. My only concern with the graphite was them being so much lighter. Not sure if that would have a negative effect.
It looks like Cleveland is closing them out now. I’d get fit, then wait to see if I could get a good deal after the new version comes out, or just get the new ones, because these are still $914 for 8 clubs, which is a costly experiment with this set. They don’t have a good trade in or decent resale value... I learned that lesson with the previous model.
Its only my opinion, but I think if OEMs really want avid players to buy an all hybrid, or one length set, they should offer some type of free trial period to try them out, even if we had to pay. 15% restocking fee, I’d be a lot more open to giving them a try. No way I’m spending a grand with taxes after testing a 7 Iron (hybrid).

It looks like Cleveland is closing them out now. I’d get fit, then wait to see if I could get a good deal after the new version comes out, or just get the new ones, because these are still $914 for 8 clubs, which is a costly experiment with this set. They don’t have a good trade in or decent resale value... I learned that lesson with the previous model.
Its only my opinion, but I think if OEMs really want avid players to buy an all hybrid, or one length set, they should offer some type of free trial period to try them out, even if we had to pay. 15% restocking fee, I’d be a lot more open to giving them a try. No way I’m spending a grand with taxes after testing a 7 Iron (hybrid).
Doesn’t just about every golf retailer do just that now with a 90 day playability guarantee?

Doesn’t just about every golf retailer do just that now with a 90 day playability guarantee?
Yes they do, but then you get a credit which you have to use the day you return the irons.
Im talking about something like PXG offers with their irons. You buy the set, if you don’t like them you return them and get refunded less 15% (and the shipping)
I realize they’re DTC and that policy can get costly, but personally I prefer that if I’m going to make what I consider an extreme change to a OL or all hybrid set. I think a lot of other golfers would feel the same. Trying something for 30 days knowing at worst you’re out $150 is a lot better than gambling a grand.

buying used should have a good return policy. Lots of used HB Turbos out there. https://www.2ndswing.com/pv-1678418...ynamic-gold-dst98-steel-regular-right-ha.aspx
It will be cheaper for sure, but not as much as it was even a year ago, pre covid. The used club market is booming right now, pricing is very high on most items.
One good thing though is that even though they make really good equipment, companies like Cobra and Cleveland (Wilson also) may give you less at trade in value, but they’re cheaper to buy used Than others.

Back