Srixon ZX Drivers, Fairway Woods, & Hybrids

If anyone is worried that the ZX5 is drawn out significantly compared to the ZX7 like a Big Bertha B21, I went to PGASS with my standard Mavrik to compare the two. Photo below, Mavrik on left, ZX5 on the right.

If anything, the ZX5 is shorter from the face to the rear of the crown and appears more squat.

BTW I hit good numbers with this club for me, 14 launch angle, 149 BS, 2300 spin average. Longest drive 297. Mavrik averages we're a little lower for all these stats. Also dispersion was much more tight for the ZX5 compared to Mavrik. It's a lot more forgiving than the Mavrik by far on off center hirs. This was using a AV raw blue 65 for the ZX5 against my Venus 6S blue in the Mavrik.

May have walked out of there with a new driver... just saying.

Now to get a AV blue with a srixon adapter.
6569aadcc0d657a028e8d6b247af8515.jpg

Sent from my SM-G998U1 using Tapatalk

Just brought the ZX5 on the driving range and course with the stock riptide 50S and my Tensei AV raw blue 65. The stock shaft hits about the same flight and distance as my best with the AV raw but it's not as consistent for my swing.

But this thing is a beast. Outdrives my standard Mavrik and is tons more forgiving. I hit a couple over 300 with rollout and my swing speed at best is 105, so that's long for me. Found myself in areas on fairways I hadn't reached before, and hit a lot right down the middle.

One thing, it is super loud, very ping-y (both the sound and the brand), but I'm ok with that because I hit a lot of fairways and the ball travelled very far. But the Mavrik sounds much better when you hit the sweet spot, even if I found the sweet spot way more with the ZX5.

Definitely a driver to think about if you're in the market. It's in my bag now.

Just brought the ZX5 on the driving range and course with the stock riptide 50S and my Tensei AV raw blue 65. The stock shaft hits about the same flight and distance as my best with the AV raw but it's not as consistent for my swing.

But this thing is a beast. Outdrives my standard Mavrik and is tons more forgiving. I hit a couple over 300 with rollout and my swing speed at best is 105, so that's long for me. Found myself in areas on fairways I hadn't reached before, and hit a lot right down the middle.

One thing, it is super loud, very ping-y (both the sound and the brand), but I'm ok with that because I hit a lot of fairways and the ball travelled very far. But the Mavrik sounds much better when you hit the sweet spot, even if I found the sweet spot way more with the ZX5.

Definitely a driver to think about if you're in the market. It's in my bag now.

Nice! Enjoy it!

I do agree it’s not the most quiet driver out this year, but it’s still wins better than the 425 hit side by side.

I think many have just cast off the ZX5 expecting the same size and shape as in the past but this thing is a gorgeous shape and profile, and it’s not crazy draw biased either. Rebound frame totally works, and it’s at the top end of the ball speed potential spectrum. Ball wants to stay in play too.

I was almost certain this would be the one to take the bag this year but there are others who have appeared. No one, and I mean no one, is making a bad driver this year. This one though, I always seem to find the middle!

I am going to hotmelt it and put it back against the ST and 721 soon though. See what a couple grams do sound wise.

Nice! Enjoy it!

I do agree it’s not the most quiet driver out this year, but it’s still wins better than the 425 hit side by side.

I think many have just cast off the ZX5 expecting the same size and shape as in the past but this thing is a gorgeous shape and profile, and it’s not crazy draw biased either. Rebound frame totally works, and it’s at the top end of the ball speed potential spectrum. Ball wants to stay in play too.

I was almost certain this would be the one to take the bag this year but there are others who have appeared. No one, and I mean no one, is making a bad driver this year. This one though, I always seem to find the middle!

I am going to hotmelt it and put it back against the ST and 721 soon though. See what a couple grams do sound wise.

Totally agree with everything you said. Loving it.

Finally got my hands on these drivers today at a demo day at my club. I was lucky because I was there early and had the second time slot and the guy with the first canceled. That was probably a good thing because it took a while to find the right combo.

I was expecting the ZX5 as I typically play a more forgiving driver and that is definitely what we started with. I was interested to see how the sound was because I hated the sound of the Z585. This wasn’t much better. I really did not like the sound as it is just too loud for me personally.

The fitter was making adjustments and swapping clubs in and out and I never bothered to ask what each change was as I really didn’t want any preconceived ideas in my head as my swing was not great to start with but did get better as we went along.

I am not sure the exact specs because he wrote them down to turn in to the club pro for any orders but I was quite surprised by what I do know. I ended up in the ZX7 10.5* which I find the sound much more pleasant. I was expecting a 70g shaft too but the best fit was a 60g. I really had no idea what shaft we would end up with but I really thought it would be the Rogue White when he pulled that out as I have had some success with it in my Mavrik Max. This was not the case at all as it ended up be the counter balanced Tensei Blue. The one thing I am not sure about was the weights and length he decided on. We did talk about an inch short as that is what I normally play but of course one was not available to hit. I honestly though was really happy with the standard length shaft even though at one point he also mentioned thinking it needed to be an inch short. I am also unsure what he did with the weights. I know the heavy weight ended up in the heel but I think he may have changed the sizes from stock. I could be wrong on this but I will ask the club pro to send me the full specs later.

All in all once the swing got straightened out and we found the right combination, I was consistently hitting my expected start up the left mild fade to the middle. I never looked at the Trackman numbers and in all honesty we only had it out for a few swings because he just didn’t want anything in my head. I felt like distance was where it should be though and launch angle, apex, and descent all looked good.

I have not made up my mind 100% yet but I would say I am about 90% sold on ordering one early next week. My driver issues are 90-95% mental with a large part of that lack of confidence. I left feeling pretty confident in that final setup and while I know it is the Indian and not the arrow having it in my head that it is correct and will get the job done is a big deal. My last couple drivers have all been semi fit or guesses.

Yep. Couldn’t help myself. Broke down and ordered a ZX7 driver 10.5* with Mitsubishi Chemical Tensei Blue CK 60g Stiff standard length yesterday. I can’t wait for this one to show up.

Yep. Couldn’t help myself. Broke down and ordered a ZX7 driver 10.5* with Mitsubishi Chemical Tensei Blue CK 60g Stiff standard length yesterday. I can’t wait for this one to show up.

What made you decide 7 over 5?

Has anyone tried the ZX5 with the hzrdus smoke black shaft, seems like it could be a good combo?

Little late on this by like, a lot. But yes, it’s the shaft in mine. Seems to pair okay with it, I would probably pick another low launch shaft personally? Maybe the even flow black? But that’s personal feel

What made you decide 7 over 5?
Fitting was the biggest factor. The ZX5 was just not working for me. Second would be sound. The ZX5 is just too loud for me. A definite improvement over the Z585 but still loud.

Fitting was the biggest factor. The ZX5 was just not working for me. Second would be sound. The ZX5 is just too loud for me. A definite improvement over the Z585 but still loud.

Gotcha. Thanks, glad you found the stick that works. Looking forward to your thoughts once you get it in hand.

Hit two shots off the tee on this hole, up the hill, raining and against a 25mph wind. First one was a complete toe strike but pretty straight with a draw. The second was pretty pure, baby draw.

The toe strike was only 2 to 3 yards shorter. Both around 240 yards. Super forgiving driver.

Led to a GIR and a two putt. Very happy with the on course performance of this driver.

Been averaging 260 with this driver, with my longest 340 down wind. Have reached a lot of par 5s in two that i have never reached before.

Now to work on my terrible putting.
da9f81abefccf37fae535ebc614d3d0d.jpg

Hit two shots off the tee on this hole, up the hill, raining and against a 25mph wind. First one was a complete toe strike but pretty straight with a draw. The second was pretty pure, baby draw.

The toe strike was only 2 to 3 yards shorter. Both around 240 yards. Super forgiving driver.

Led to a GIR and a two putt. Very happy with the on course performance of this driver.

Been averaging 260 with this driver, with my longest 340 down wind. Have reached a lot of par 5s in two that i have never reached before.

Great notes, and great playing! On a side note, man that grass is green! Can't wait.

Great notes, and great playing! On a side note, man that grass is green! Can't wait.
Yeah, once the trees have leaves I'll know we're in full on golf season.

which do you have the ZX5 or ZX7? Glad to see it is working for you. Just making me long for mine to show up. That grass does look really good!

which do you have the ZX5 or ZX7? Glad to see it is working for you. Just making me long for mine to show up. That grass does look really good!

I got the ZX5 but I got a MCA Tensei AV Raw blue 65 S in it.
The grass is beautiful. They actually already aerated the greens and fairways once this season in NY when it was warm out which you could probably see. They do a great job at the club.

I'm thinking about taking advantage of the Srixon demo program to try the ZX5. My favorite driver of all time was the PING G400 Max. I foolishly sold when I got excited about the Cobra Speedzone and bought it without hitting it. Our Cobra demo day was scheduled right when the pandemic started and got cancelled, soI ordered it anyway.

I spent 2020 churning drivers, which is rare for me. I played some of my best golf during a short dalliance with the a 585 10.5*. My only issue is I felt I hit it a bit too high. I ended up going to a G410 Plus, but am not in love with it like the Max.

Does the ZX5 hit true to loft? I'm was thinking I could just turn down a 10.5...

I'm thinking about taking advantage of the Srixon demo program to try the ZX5. My favorite driver of all time was the PING G400 Max. I foolishly sold when I got excited about the Cobra Speedzone and bought it without hitting it. Our Cobra demo day was scheduled right when the pandemic started and got cancelled, soI ordered it anyway.

I spent 2020 churning drivers, which is rare for me. I played some of my best golf during a short dalliance with the a 585 10.5*. My only issue is I felt I hit it a bit too high. I ended up going to a G410 Plus, but am not in love with it like the Max.

Does the ZX5 hit true to loft? I'm was thinking I could just turn down a 10.5...
I'm not sure how to tell if it hits true to loft, but why don't you try the 9.5? That's what I use. From trackman testing my mavrik 9 degree hit at a 12-13 degree launch. This hits around 14 degrees and i love the launch.

My honest reply is it would not be wise to spend that kind of money without a fitting. You should be able to find a demo day at least somewhere and if not try and find a store with a fitting cart. I was quite surprised by pretty much my entire fitting and if I had ordered blindly I can guarantee I would not have had a good combo for me.

Finally got the ZX5 in. I’ll try to get to the range this week and maybe sneak out Friday for some on course thoughts.

this one looks really good and I love the feel to it. I took some swings in the back yard and I love the weight

5A0C5511-140A-40C1-8085-C85BEF70BE90.jpeg

Finally got the ZX5 in. I’ll try to get to the range this week and maybe sneak out Friday for some on course thoughts.

this one looks really good and I love the feel to it. I took some swings in the back yard and I love the weight

View attachment 9001223

Holy hell that looks good! Fantastic photo arrangement there 👊. I was "this close" to ordering ZX5 with Gunmetal and ZX 3wood with Purple. The FOMO is strong with this one - enjoy!

A couple of pictures comparing to the Mav Max. At address the face on ZX5 isn’t as tall as the Max and more compact. I immediately get the 816 DBD vibe at address

ABB871D5-16A2-42D2-95B1-113FB053850B.jpeg
4F7AB1B2-DD1D-4645-980E-A243EC9EA964.jpeg
700821E1-576A-4B66-950F-3AB60193587A.jpeg
6D3FCF7C-9BEB-42A4-BC1A-0F24F6C352AA.jpeg

Wow those photos make it hard to believe they're both 460cc.

My honest reply is it would not be wise to spend that kind of money without a fitting. You should be able to find a demo day at least somewhere and if not try and find a store with a fitting cart. I was quite surprised by pretty much my entire fitting and if I had ordered blindly I can guarantee I would not have had a good combo for me.

I was thinking about the $30 demo just to see if it was a 'you may wanna hit this', not buying it sight unseen....

I was thinking about the $30 demo just to see if it was a 'you may wanna hit this', not buying it sight unseen....
It could still be a waste of money though. The driver itself may be perfect for you but if the shaft is not a correct fit it could be horrid. I would strongly suggest getting fit. The local rep does a really good job fitting at demo days around here and it costs nothing. I would guess your rep would do a pretty good job as well.

Wow those photos make it hard to believe they're both 460cc.
That was my first thought also. I’m looking forward to the smaller profile at address and not giving up distance or forgiveness

Back