What’s New: 2020 Callaway Chrome Soft Hits Retail

My buddy used the new Chrome Soft LS today and was nuclear off the tee. Instantly improved his flight and distance. By the end of the round he was just showing off. Amazing what a perfectly fitting ball can do for some guys.

I'm not a fan haha.

They have done such a good job with the balls. 4 really solid options.

Played the G Truvis today. The regular CS is just so good. I had a chip from about 40 yards to an elevated green with the green just slightly sloping away. The two guys in the green said when it hit it just took one hop and stopped dead.
I have been playing g the SrixonSoft Feel for a few rounds but don’t think I can give up that green side performance

CSX is such a great ball for me. It blends distance and control so nicely I don’t feel like I’m losing out on anything.

i might have to buy eleventy million dozen csx 20. this ball is just too perfect.

i might have to buy eleventy million dozen csx 20. this ball is just too perfect.
Having tried quite a few different balls already this year, I continue to come back to this ball every time. Handles the wind well, has excellent green side performance and has good durability.
Plus the options of color and Truvis combinations.

BFF38EE0-C727-4A61-9E8E-96A45CD5D595.jpeg

Having tried quite a few different balls already this year, I continue to come back to this ball every time. Handles the wind well, has excellent green side performance and has good durability.
Plus the options of color and Truvis combinations.

the approach shot performance is bonkers. that is the most important part of my game, and this ball beats all others i’ve tried.

I played those today too!! Probably lost more than you. ;)

Such a beautiful ball. I have been playing exclusively CSX for awhile now, so the switch back to CS was very noticeable feel-wise. CS feels very soft, but it performs great.
It is really noticeable in the cold. I played both versions in my experiment today. Play were good.

Was using 2020 CSx during a recent fitting. I snuck a few shots with Snell MTBx just to see if that old speed demon had more in the tank than my beloved Chromies.
I was pleased to see it did not.

It was really nice to confirm with the Fitter that I'm playing a great ball for my game.

Great Review of the Chrome Soft lineup:

Great Review of the Chrome Soft lineup:

This was a good watch with lots of information. I loved the distance of the CSX from the tee but the standard Chrome soft works better for me on the course. I do not work the ball on purpose haha so the lower spin keeps my ball on a straighter line and that is nothing but good for me. I am a digger with irons and wedges so I make plenty of spin and the higher launch of the CS is noticeable and the ball is always near the ball mark on the green. The CSX works as advertised making more spin on approach shots but it was working against me by spinning back off the green after a well struck shot. Around the green the CSX has more bite but I play bump and runs whenever possible so I am okay with the Chrome Soft running out a bit more. The Chrome Soft may be slower off the driver but I have hit some filthy bombs with it and the spin reduction keeping the ball on a straighter line is very much appreciated.

The CSX LS is an interesting ball that may fit me better in certain situations but the low spinning high launching Chrome Soft is my ball for now and I will run through my stash before trying anything else. Its funny how the X designation sounds sexy and standard anything sounds plain vanilla but in this case I am happy to have found a great performing ball that just plain works for me.

I played the 2020 standard Chrome Soft for the first time today and really liked it. I’ve tried all of the previous iterations and have always preferred the X.

It did everything well. High straight flight, plenty of stopping power on both full and partial shots. Distance was right there with the CSX diamond I have played the last couple years.

I’m actually considering switching. I haven’t tried the 2020 CSX yet. My speed has me right between the 2 so I can go either way. Only thing I would complain is the triple track lines are shorter on this version.

today really solidified my ball selection going forward. my inventory of csx20 is low, so i pulled out a dozen cs20. i hit some drives that i thought were pretty darn good, but the distance was terrible. one hole had a carry of 205, i hit driver on a low/mid trajectory but hit it well, and it didn't clear. after 9 holes (it was a very good 9 holes), i switched to my last sleeve of csx20. my next drives were 260 (missed), 270 hit well, 285 hit well. distance control with irons was still just as good, and i played just as well on the back. my beef with cs20 is pretty similar to the previous version: it doesn't launch or spin enough FOR ME, so csx20 is much better for me.

Played the 2020 CSX today. Had some nice shots with it. I could game it full time if wanted to.

2020 CSx. Looooove this ball. I'm at the point now where when I put a different ball in play I find myself missing some aspect of the 20 CSx. I'll actually be annoyed when Callaway changes the formula for their next iteration - because this one is perfect.

I am loving the CSTT from tee to green and everywhere in between. The triple track has been great for me when putting but the alignment from the tee box has become an integral part of my pre shot routine. Its not just about getting my feet lined up parallel to my target line I use it during the swing as a guide for the clubhead. I was reminded why its a better choice for me than CSX on a 128 yard par three shot today. I hit a gap wedge in the center of the green and watched it nervously as it spun back towards a deep bunker that guards the front.

20210420_095750.jpg

I believe if I would have been using a CSX or another high spin ball I would have been in the bunker or possibly back down the hill and in the creek.

20210420_095816.jpg

My putter head is by the ball mark in the above picture. It gives you some idea of how much zip I put on the ball.

I had a rare day that I hit driver good the whole round. When I was doing a head to head with these two balls I saw a increase in distance form the tee with the CSX being longer hands down. Since I have been using the CS exclusively I have hit some of the longest drives of my life. I was also using the standard Mavrik driver at the time and have since switched to an Epic Max LS. I think the higher launch of the Chrome Soft works very well with that lower launching head. I go through spells where I get wild from the tee so the straighter flight is appreciated when I am spraying it around.

20210426_091831.jpg

Another great day with the Chrome Soft Triple Track. The picture above is a 180 yard par three where I hit six iron. The ball stayed within 6 feet of the ball mark. I love that I can laser the flag and hit my shot knowing the ball will be right where it landed for the most part. The soft feel is great through the whole bag and triple track has made me a better putter without question. Callaway claims that the Chrome Soft has a high launching straight flight that is suited for those who do not work the ball shaping shots. I saw this all day yesterday with driver and long irons, high launching bombs with very little movement right or left. On the eighteenth hole I hit a big drive and then wanted to try a new driver that @mikeg_74 was using. I used a rock hard pinnacle distance ball that I had found earlier on the course. Both balls ended up in the fairway within a few feet of one another. I am not sure what is more impressive, that the ultra soft urethane covered Chrome Soft can hang with a distance ball from the tee or that I hit two fairway drives in a row haha.

Got some on-course chipping testing in with the Chrome Soft today and holy moly it was dramatically different than the Supersofts I’ve been using. Hello spin! Hoping to get some launch monitor numbers this week and play a round with the new balls this weekend!

Three rounds in with the Chrome Soft balls and all three rounds are contributing to my handicap. Coincidence? :LOL: The short game spin difference from the Supersofts was very noticeable and I am never going back! I had backspin on most full-swing wedges and short irons from the fairway, which was a fun surprise. Had my longest drives ever on a few holes as well. All in all it was a fantastic experiment. This weekend I’m moving on to the CSX for comparison.

It really is a great bal!! They do everything I want them to do.

It really is a great bal!! They do everything I want them to do.

this was kind of crazy. my last round on friday was at a course with very challenging green complexes, but to make matters worse they have let the greens get crazy firm and fast. i got paired with two strangers, one of whom was a very good golfer. i watching him hit a ton of partial shots that would hit the green and just carom forward with little to no grab. he was playing pv1x. i, a golfer nowhere near as good as he, was hitting similar shots that would hit the green and grab close to their pitchmark. i just found it very interesting that the csx20 was performing noticeably better into this type of green than his pv1x.

I have been a little disappointed with the greenside spin I've been seeing lately. I haven't chosen a ball for the season yet so I think I'm going to pick up some CSX to try out.

Played the Chrome Soft X yesterday for my few holes I got in. I still think for those looking for speed and more spin, this is a heck of an option.

8401BC32-BA0F-4ACC-AB5F-2087F2EB4FBA.jpeg

Back