ddec

I have many leather-bound books
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
The Driver
Ben Hogan Golf enjoys a long history of producing irons that have attracted golfers for their feel and quality. They also have a past filled with irons that many think would be a bit too difficult to enjoy the Hogan experience properly. Last season’s release of the ICON irons certainly hit on that point. In the late ’80s, a different iron for the Hogan brand came to fruition, one that would provide more forgiveness without sacrificing the signature feel, those of course, being the original Edge. Today, Ben Hogan Golf Company offers their latest model of this line, the Edge EX.

Continue reading...

Hogan makes great irons and these have that classic look from back in the day. At first glance they look like something you would have seen competing against Eye 2's or 845s. I did not play Hogans back in the day but I did play a set of OG PTx in 2018 and loved them. These look like a players iron but have a lot of tech and forgiveness built in.

Not a bad looking iron. It almost looks like they have their own version of the V-sole, just not as pronounced. Maybe it's just the way I'm looking at it though?

Those look really good. Will definitely have to try them when they hit the demo program.

They felt great when hitting them at last year's event. And frankly, the visual appeal of these versus the OG Edge is astronomically better to my eye. I can firmly say this iteration would likely be in my bag right now if they were available last year.

They felt great when hitting them at last year's event. And frankly, the visual appeal of these versus the OG Edge is astronomically better to my eye.

Totally agree with you here. The visual is 900x better than previous line and based on just a few swings, they feel pretty darn good.

Boy.
I was pretty excited about these based on the teaser.
If if being honest though, I am not a fan of the looks. :(

I'll most likely demo them when they are available though.

These will be great irons!
Played the Apex edges like these In the past.
Play apex edge pros now, and have a Ptx pro/ icon combo set on order.
Demoed both the Ptx pro and Icon 7i.
The icon is suprisingly easy to get used to and hit well. It’s fun to practice draws and fades with it, and the Ptx pro.
I’m probably not going to return the Icon 7i
I didn’t really need new irons... but what the heck.

The back looks much better than the previous version. That’s a lot off offset though, in what looks like a 9 iron. I liked the original Edge irons when I hit them, no doubt these would perform as well in a much nicer package overall.

Great review, Dean!

Oh man, those are good looking irons! Based on what those who have played them have said, and the cost, these are a tremendous value. Hard to imagine a bigger bang for the golf club dollar.

Ok, those have some beautiful lines to them.

The nostalgic side of me is really glad the Edge moniker is alive and well. I played the original Edge GS all through high school, they were my first full size set of mens irons.

I've been looking forward to seeing this release, and from what I've seen and have read so far, they are definitely not going to disappoint anyone!

Ok, those have some beautiful lines to them.

The nostalgic side of me is really glad the Edge moniker is alive and well. I played the original Edge GS all through high school, they were my first full size set of mens irons.

I think on the aesthetic side they fit in way better than the last version of edge irons. These look way more hogan to me.

I think on the aesthetic side they fit in way better than the last version of edge irons. These look way more hogan to me.

And in hand (at least from what I saw at the THP Experience), they will fold in nicely with the lineup as a whole.

Nice write up.

I honestly did not think Ben Hogan would have this staying power after the re-relaunch. But I am glad they are.

These remind me so much of my original Ben Hogan set with the CFT hybrids with steel shafts! I loved that set.

Glad to see this finally get released. I'll point out that while they are "larger" than the PTxPros....they are not big. They are a really great looking iron that packs a lot of forgiveness in a forged package.

Great write up @ddec! Love the way these look! Really nailed that Apex Edge undercut cavity from the late 90’s/ early 2000’s. Also, the fact these are 2° stronger really have interested!
ED5ACA61-F5CF-4F31-9822-5330948C442F.jpeg33AC7911-A063-4EF5-986C-8E181ACEFF47.jpeg

Maybe they are good performing Irons, but the looks aren't quite as sharp as I expected. The older apex Edge's look a bit better, But I am a bit biased- I have a set of original Edge's and I prefer the full CB look of those.

I hit these at the Hogan event. Agree with @thewilderside . They look so much better than previous version and look great.

I think if the feel is there, these irons are going to be an excellent option for the price.

Back