Cleveland Launcher HB Turbo Irons

Yes they do, but then you get a credit which you have to use the day you return the irons.
Im talking about something like PXG offers with their irons. You buy the set, if you don’t like them you return them and get refunded less 15% (and the shipping)
I realize they’re DTC and that policy can get costly, but personally I prefer that if I’m going to make what I consider an extreme change to a OL or all hybrid set. I think a lot of other golfers would feel the same. Trying something for 30 days knowing at worst you’re out $150 is a lot better than gambling a grand.
I Never thought someone would rather give away $150 per thousand plus shipping over choosing new irons with no penalty (obviously most will need clubs if they are returning a set), but everybody is different.

Glad THP Experiences exist for those options

I Never thought someone would rather give away $150 per thousand plus shipping over choosing new irons with no penalty (obviously most will need clubs if they are returning a set), but everybody is different.

Glad THP Experiences exist for those options
No, that’s not what I meant. I’ll use myself as an example and try to explain it better. We’re talking about making a big change here, going to an all hybrids or OL set. I’m not going from a set of sim irons to mavrick.
I like my 0211 irons very much, but I’m very curious about a OL set. The concept makes a lot of sense to me and I’d love to try them.
I wouldn’t want to get rid of my 0211’s however, because I like them. Id have to buy a set of the OLs, which are a big change, gambling they will be better than the 0211’s. If they are I could sell the PXGs. If they aren’t though, I bring them back to the PGASS and they say “fine, you have a full credit. go pick out another set of irons that cost the same.” I don’t want a new set of irons though I have my PXGs. I’d rather lose 15%
I don’t think gambling $120-150 for a month of testing is a lot of $$$ to lose on the Cobras.
I think most people would agree with me.

Last edited:
No, that’s not what I meant. I’ll use myself as an example and try to explain it better.
I like my 0211 irons very much, but I’m very curious about a OL set. The concept makes a lot of sense to me and I’d love to try them.
I wouldn’t want to get rid of my 0211’s however, because I like them. Id have to buy a set of the OLs, which are a big change, gambling they will be better than the 0211’s. If they are I could sell the PXGs. If they aren’t though, I bring them back to the PGASS and they say “fine, you have a full credit. go pick out another set of irons that cost the same.” I don’t want a new set of irons though I have my PXGs. I’d rather lose 15% on the Cobras.
I think most people would also.
I get that, but before you bought the PXGs you bought them with the idea that you would give them back and take the $150 hit if you didn’t like them (or many do since they are DTC). In my opinion the masses generally don’t hold multiple sets, so if they return they will choose another one. Clearly some are different and that’s great that different options exist.

Generally speaking Restocking fees went away a while back because it angered customers so much (see Best Buy, Apple and countless others) and came back with 100% credit. For some I guess they would rather take the loss and fortunately a brand still offers that.

I get that, but before you bought the PXGs you bought them with the idea that you would give them back and take the $150 hit if you didn’t like them (or many do since they are DTC). In my opinion the masses generally don’t hold multiple sets, so if they return they will choose another one. Clearly some are different and that’s great that different options exist.

Generally speaking Restocking fees went away a while back because it angered customers so much (see Best Buy, Apple and countless others) and came back with 100% credit. For some I guess they would rather take the loss and fortunately a brand still offers that.
Again, I’m not advocating for restocking fees.
Im saying companies with the all hybrid or OL sets might do better if they offered some type of trial period, because most players are leery of taking such a big risk on them. Most of us would love to give them a go, but at almost a grand? Not so much. Sorry.
(btw for DTC restock fees are a necessary evil, but i got my 0211 irons for $84 each with MMT shafts. I’m not getting an iron with that shaft from any other OEM at that price)

Again, I’m not advocating for restocking fees.
Im saying companies with the all hybrid or OL sets might do better if they offered some type of trial period, because most players are leery of taking such a big risk on them.
(for DTC it’s a necessary evil, but i got my irons for $84 with MMT shafts)
Clearly there is a disconnect because I see the 90 day playability guarantee is that offer.

Launcher hybrid irons last year outsold every other line sold by the company, so I’m not sure I agree on most players being leery, but I get it, change is tough.

But golf equipment is a big investment so I understand trepidation. That’s why I’m glad places like World Wide offer to replace your irons after trying them for three months.

The only issue I've had after about 100 rounds is with the HB Turbos is the DW (50deg). From 4 down through PW I get my normal gaps of 11 or so yards per club with the PW going about 110-112 yards. But the DW, which I might expect to be my 100-yard club, just upshoots and comes up short. I don't think I could hit it even 95 yards. More like 92 or 93 absolute max.

I don't know if my particular HB Turbo DW is funky somehow or if maybe my swing just doesn't work well with a hybrid-style club having that much loft. I just start my "wedge set" after the PW and don't use the DW. I can hit a CBX 2 52deg about the same distance as that 50deg DW and with more consistency and a nicer trajectory. Or a 50deg Vokey will go an honest 100 yards for me.
I've got to admit, my HB Turbos are now history. Just a couple weeks after posting the above comments I played a couple rounds with my old conventional Titleist cavity back irons and realized I like playing with them much, much better. And it didn't seem to hurt my scoring much if any.

So on the one hand, I honestly got along with the HB Turbo better than I ever thought I would with an all-hybrid set. But I guess after 25+ years playing plain old cavity backs my old habits prevailed in the end. Last week I brought the HB Turbos back out for a couple rounds just to be sure and then I shipped them out. Interesting concept, good execution, just not my long-term choice.

Clearly there is a disconnect because I see the 90 day playability guarantee is that offer.

Launcher hybrid irons last year outsold every other line sold by the company, so I’m not sure I agree on most players being leery, but I get it, change is tough.

But golf equipment is a big investment so I understand trepidation. That’s why I’m glad places like World Wide offer to replace your irons after trying them for three months.
Yeah, there’s definitely a disconnect here, you seem fixated on the wonders of the 90 day playability thing.
I like it too but don’t agree with its relevance when discussing the trial period I talked about. My idea was something an OEM, not a STORE could offer to entice people to try something completely different from what they’re used to, but that’s okay
I have no doubt they were Cleveland’s biggest seller, I’ve never seen a single set of the UH something or other cavity backs they sell in anyone’s bag, and our bag drops are packed down here in Myrtle Beach. The previous cbs they sold, the Launcher? were pretty damn good, but I never saw a lot of them either.
IMO Like everyone else Cleveland makes a good product, but they’re still considered by most to be a wedge company, which is strange. They used to make some excellent irons and woods back in the day. Those gold shafted Launcher drivers and FWs and TA series irons were as good or better than anything back in the day... Then they just fell off the map.
At least the hybrid sets have them back in the conversation again.

Last edited:
Yeah, there’s definitely a disconnect here, you seem fixated on the wonders of the 90 day playability thing. I like it too but don’t agree with its relevance to the trial period I talked about an OEM, not a STORE having, but that’s okay
Also, I have no doubt they were Cleveland’s biggest seller (Srixon also, at least in the US). I’ve never seen a single set of the UH something cavity backs they sell in anyone’s bag, and our bag drops are packed down here in Myrtle Beach. The previous cbs they sold, the Launcher? were pretty damn good, but I never saw a lot of them either.
IMO Like everyone else Cleveland makes a pretty good product, but they’re still considered by most to be a wedge company, which is strange, because they used to make some excellent irons and woods back in the day. Those gold shafted Launcher drivers and FWs and TA series irons were as good or better than anything back then... Then they just fell off the map.
At least the hybrid sets have them back in the fringe sector again.
My first Titanium driver was the original gold-shaft Launcher 460. Wow I thought it was like cheating comparing to the, I dunno, 75cc :eek:stainless steel one I had before that.

As a high capper, the HB3's kept me in the game. I no longer top or slice an iron shot. For future HB's I hope they go to a hybrid 4 iron, keep the hybrid irons for 4,5 and 6 and go to a more standard iron for 7-W. Back to the future, the Adams A series set up for these were on target.

I'm looking to buy a used set of the HB or HB Turbos to try but am unsure which shaft to get. I use regular flex in my irons now and have a fiarly smooth swing transition. My driver ss is about 96 mph and I usually hit my 34* 7 iron about 150 yrds total. I am thinking regular flex would be fine. What would be the differences/pros/cons of the graphite vs steel shafts both in regular flex?

I have similar swing speed, tempo and 7 iron distance. Although everything is slowing down as I age.

Since I don’t particularly care about distance with irons, I look at shaft flex in relationship to dispersion.

I’m a hooker and stiffer shafts tend to help.

So I play stiff in everything except my driver.

I suspect it is more a mental/timing thing, but for the same reason I choose steel over graphite. Even every fitting I’ve done has suggested graphite.

@SC LEFTY, I understand what your saying. And perhaps it may be advantageous for the OEM to sell more sets, however the cost involved may negate any profits.

They would have to create a marketing campaign( which will cost them $) on something that more than likely isn't their flagship model. Potentially add staff or redirect man hours to handle returns and market thise returns. Also honestly the loss from returns would have to be absorbed by other customers, driving prices of all clubs up, making a competitor more attractive. This plan may also create a small population of "professional youtube reviewers" and samplers looking for the "magic wand" both could easily create negative images as they spewed potentially inaccurate information. Lastly the OEM selling their returned clubs is not an image I would think they would want.

Kind of like pro am tournaments, the amateurs thi k its great, but it is not a great proposition for the Pro's.

Yeah, there’s definitely a disconnect here, you seem fixated on the wonders of the 90 day playability thing.
I like it too but don’t agree with its relevance when discussing the trial period I talked about. My idea was something an OEM, not a STORE could offer to entice people to try something completely different from what they’re used to, but that’s okay
I have no doubt they were Cleveland’s biggest seller, I’ve never seen a single set of the UH something or other cavity backs they sell in anyone’s bag, and our bag drops are packed down here in Myrtle Beach. The previous cbs they sold, the Launcher? were pretty damn good, but I never saw a lot of them either.
IMO Like everyone else Cleveland makes a good product, but they’re still considered by most to be a wedge company, which is strange. They used to make some excellent irons and woods back in the day. Those gold shafted Launcher drivers and FWs and TA series irons were as good or better than anything back in the day... Then they just fell off the map.
At least the hybrid sets have them back in the conversation again.

I'll bite. -- I get where you are coming from with the PXG thing. I did that last year with their 0311 SGI irons. I ended up with buyers remorse, not so much in the clubs as they were really good, but I felt bad spending that kinda coin, so I returned them and bit the 15% fee. But it was still nice to have over $900 back off my credit card.

I agree that a trial on a $1000+ set of irons is costly but if it's just a trial, like in your case (having another set of functioning irons around) why not just order say a 6i or 7i from the oem direct, a local shop or online retailer? This puts you out the same or thereabouts as the restocking fee and you can sell that club if it doesn't work out. If it does work out, you simply buy the remainder of the set.

I just say this, as I bought a Cobra T-rail 6i in my specs in December of 2019 through Cobra. Really liked it and bought the rest of the set in March of 2020.
For me though I know if the 6i works in an iron set as that is where I start my irons, then the rest of the set will usually work out just fine.

@SC LEFTY, I understand what your saying. And perhaps it may be advantageous for the OEM to sell more sets, however the cost involved may negate any profits.

They would have to create a marketing campaign( which will cost them $) on something that more than likely isn't their flagship model. Potentially add staff or redirect man hours to handle returns and market thise returns. Also honestly the loss from returns would have to be absorbed by other customers, driving prices of all clubs up, making a competitor more attractive. This plan may also create a small population of "professional youtube reviewers" and samplers looking for the "magic wand" both could easily create negative images as they spewed potentially inaccurate information. Lastly the OEM selling their returned clubs is not an image I would think they would want.

Kind of like pro am tournaments, the amateurs thi k its great, but it is not a great proposition for the Pro's.
The Callaway Preowned site seems to be a very profitable one for them, and the business models of PXG and Sub 70 seem to be working fine with testing/trial periods.
I think if I were running the marketing for an OEM I’d be trying to get a lot more OL or all hybrid sets in my customers hands with a trial period program. I also would think if my product really was as good as I say, id get a lot more people keeping their orders rather than people returning them, no?

Last edited:
I'll bite. -- I get where you are coming from with the PXG thing. I did that last year with their 0311 SGI irons. I ended up with buyers remorse, not so much in the clubs as they were really good, but I felt bad spending that kinda coin, so I returned them and bit the 15% fee. But it was still nice to have over $900 back off my credit card.

I agree that a trial on a $1000+ set of irons is costly but if it's just a trial, like in your case (having another set of functioning irons around) why not just order say a 6i or 7i from the oem direct, a local shop or online retailer? This puts you out the same or thereabouts as the restocking fee and you can sell that club if it doesn't work out. If it does work out, you simply buy the remainder of the set.

I just say this, as I bought a Cobra T-rail 6i in my specs in December of 2019 through Cobra. Really liked it and bought the rest of the set in March of 2020.
For me though I know if the 6i works in an iron set as that is where I start my irons, then the rest of the set will usually work out just fine.
In a normal setup I agree, the longest iron should be enough.
With an all hybrid or OL set, I think I’d rather try them all... I’d want to see how the other clubs like a 8, PW etc worked also. As I’ve said repeatedly, I think it’s a really big leap of faith to make based on hitting one club.
Just my opinion though... 😉

With an all hybrid or OL set, I think I’d rather try them all... I’d want to see how the other clubs like a 8, PW etc worked also. As I’ve said repeatedly, I think it’s a really big leap of faith to make based on hitting one club.

I think that's a really interesting point. Right now, I feel like I'm somewhere in the middle - when I got my current Cleveland HB Turbos a little over a year ago, I picked them because I was a total beginner and wanted SGI clubs made by a company with a great reputation for SGI clubs, and Cleveland was at the time (to me, anyway) the clear winner in that category - their original HB's were very well received. Since I had nothing else to compare them to, going all in on them before really testing them under game conditions didn't seem like a big deal.

Today, I'm still a beginner (although my recent lessons have been great and my range sessions have been the best I've ever had), and I love my HB Turbos, but I'm planning on experimenting with Cobra's OL irons soon. The thought process is that my instructor and I have been working a lot on my 7i swing, and if I can get that down consistently, maybe using OL irons would help with longer iron shots, something which I struggle with even using the HB Turbos. I'm currently looking at procuring a single OL iron, as opposed to a whole set (for now), because outside of the wedges, the OL concept suggests to me that I might NOT need a whole set to see how I feel or how I can do using OL clubs.

I am curious about the OL wedges, though, because to me swinging wedges in general can be very different from your "normal" iron swing. Plus, I love Cleveland's CBX 2 wedges a lot, so I'm not sure I'd want to give them up.

People are vastly underestimating the amount of hybrid sets that have been sold, so the fear in place doesn't appear to be wide spread.

With so many companies offering hybrids even up to the 8 iron, it doesnt seem like too many golfers are struggling to get over the idea. Certainly some will, and I get it, its different. Im glad demo days, fittings and playability guarantees give them a chance to try them out, because they can be a ton of fun.

The Callaway Preowned site seems to be a very profitable one for them, and the business models of PXG and Sub 70 seem to be working fine with testing/trial periods.
I think if I were running the marketing for an OEM I’d be trying to get a lot more OL or all hybrid sets in my customers hands with a trial period program. I also would think if my product really was as good as I say, id get a lot more people keeping their orders rather than people returning them, no?

The Callaway Preowned is a trade in program correct? If so thats a different context of why they are selling the clubs as someone upgrades to a newer model vs a return because the previous owner didn't like them.

Not to bash a OE, but they do have a different business model and while they may be an awesome club, I'm not sure they hold the market share and therefore the risk of others like Callaway, Titleist, Taylormade and perhaps cobra may have.

Bottom line is the OEM have marketing teams, and I would have thought all viable options are on the table, appears their teams don't see it as a viable opportunity.

People are vastly underestimating the amount of hybrid sets that have been sold, so the fear in place doesn't appear to be wide spread.

With so many companies offering hybrids even up to the 8 iron, it doesnt seem like too many golfers are struggling to get over the idea. Certainly some will, and I get it, its different. Im glad demo days, fittings and playability guarantees give them a chance to try them out, because they can be a ton of fun.
What % of iron sets sold during the covid golf boom in 2020 were One Length irons?
I’d venture to guess under 5% despite the fact that Bryson deChambeau, the US Open winner and one of the most talked about players in the game bags them.
If I were the CEO of Cobra Golf, I’d be asking my marketing team why we weren’t doing more to capitalize on those two things. I’d also want to hear the ideas they had to do so, but that’s just me...
Playability guarantees are offered by a retail store, not the OEM who should be trying to expand their market share.

Last edited:
What % of iron sets sold during the covid golf boom in 2020 were One Length irons?
I’d venture to guess under 5% despite the fact that Bryson deChambeau, the US Open winner and one of the most talked about players in the game bags them.
If I were the CEO of Cobra Golf, I’d be asking my marketing team why we weren’t doing more to capitalize on those two things. I’d also want to hear the ideas they had to do so, but that’s just me...
Playability guarantees are offered by a retail store, not the OEM who should be trying to expand their market share.
The percentage of Cobra irons that were OL? Way way way higher than 5%.

Percentage of all irons? Of course it’s less than 5% they are the only brand making them.

Hybrid irons are not some new phenomenon, been around for years and have been extremely successful.

The Callaway Preowned is a trade in program correct? If so thats a different context of why they are selling the clubs as someone upgrades to a newer model vs a return because the previous owner didn't like them.

Not to bash a OE, but they do have a different business model and while they may be an awesome club, I'm not sure they hold the market share and therefore the risk of others like Callaway, Titleist, Taylormade and perhaps cobra may have.

Bottom line is the OEM have marketing teams, and I would have thought all viable options are on the table, appears their teams don't see it as a viable opportunity.
I guess your right about this, they seem to be happy with the status quo.
At the end of the day, I’m just a guy on a golf message board spitballing ideas here.

Me too, brother.

The percentage of Cobra irons that were OL? Way way way higher than 5%.

Percentage of all irons? Of course it’s less than 5% they are the only brand making them.

Hybrid irons are not some new phenomenon, been around for years and have been extremely successful.
I think the all hybrid set (OL also) is a phenomenal concept, that would benefit so many more players if given a less expensive way to try them. Thats been my point from the beginning.
Have they been successful? I guess... for Cleveland.
Extremely successful? I think that’s pushing it IMO.
The Wilson version has tanked, the Cobra has done barely okayish, and the other OEMs haven’t even bothered with them. They’ve been a nice niche product, which has kept Cleveland on the iron shelves in retail stores at least.

I think the all hybrid set (OL also) is a phenomenal concept, that would benefit so many more players if given a less expensive way to try them. Thats been my point from the beginning.
Have they been successful? I guess... for Cleveland.
Extremely successful? I think that’s pushing it IMO.
The Wilson version has tanked, the Cobra has done barely okayish, and the other OEMs haven’t even bothered with them. They’ve been a nice niche product, which has kept Cleveland on the iron shelves in retail stores at least.
I’m going to bow out of this and just leave it with, I believe you are underestimating the sales of hybrid irons as a whole.

Those other two brands do not have retail partners to support playability guarantees so must use a return and restocking fee. Until direct to consumer is the largest form of sales, it makes no sense for these brands that have retail stores and demo products available to offer this in my opinion.

Back