Fairway Shafts - What should I look at?

I've tried a bunch of the newer offerings when it comes to fairway shafts and always seem to go back to the same thing. One, because I LOVE the flight and feel. And two, because you can still get new uncut ones dirt cheap. Matrix Red Tie MFS 70Q4 in X flex.

I thought you had just tested a bunch of graphite design shafts, surely one of then would fit the bill. I am testing a graphite design IZ 7X in a mavrik 3 wood atm. Things are looking positive.

Wanting to tinker, what fairway shafts do you all think I should give a look to?

I missed this, probably cause I thought it was the wedge thread haha.

You seemed to vibe well with a few of the Graphite Design shafts. How MAD do you want to get in your fairways?

I missed this, probably cause I thought it was the wedge thread haha.

You seemed to vibe well with a few of the Graphite Design shafts. How MAD do you want to get in your fairways?
Hahaha!

Ive actually thought about that one a lot.

I thought you had just tested a bunch of graphite design shafts, surely one of then would fit the bill. I am testing a graphite design IZ 7X in a mavrik 3 wood atm. Things are looking positive.
I have, but, options are always fun!

I recently was floundering with my TM 3 ti wood. I couldn't get anything to work. A few Xcaliber customers, 5 actually had been reporting back that the Pro TSL driver shaft, which is 50g has been amazing in FW heads. I was pretty doubtful till I mentioned it to a customer that others were having success. His swing is close to mine. A week later he said it was the best shaft he has ever had in a fairway.
I myself loaded one up and struggled with it in the simulator first go round. Was about to trash the idea when I gave it another go. It was very solid and i began to trust it. Third time I found gold. Out on the course it does anything I ask of it. Out of the tee box or from the fairway it's been awesome. High draw or a low stinging fade. What ever I dial-up it responds. And it's quite long almost equaling my driver.
I never imagined a 50g driver shaft would work in a FW but it's been a eureka moment.
Swing weight was right at my normal D2 at 43". If you have a light weight driver shaft laying around tip another half inch from it and give it a go.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

I recently was floundering with my TM 3 ti wood. I couldn't get anything to work. A few Xcaliber customers, 5 actually had been reporting back that the Pro TSL driver shaft, which is 50g has been amazing in FW heads. I was pretty doubtful till I mentioned it to a customer that others were having success. His swing is close to mine. A week later he said it was the best shaft he has ever had in a fairway.
I myself loaded one up and struggled with it in the simulator first go round. Was about to trash the idea when I gave it another go. It was very solid and i began to trust it. Third time I found gold. Out on the course it does anything I ask of it. Out of the tee box or from the fairway it's been awesome. High draw or a low stinging fade. What ever I dial-up it responds. And it's quite long almost equaling my driver.
I never imagined a 50g driver shaft would work in a FW but it's been a eureka moment.
Swing weight was right at my normal D2 at 43". If you have a light weight driver shaft laying around tip another half inch from it and give it a go.

I’ve gone that light in the 3w before and results were disastrous for me :ROFLMAO:

Accra FX 3.0 300 series for you. I'd think the M5 flex. Or the 2.0 300 Series:unsure:Screen Shot 2021-04-10 at 9.55.59 AM.png

I’ve gone that light in the 3w before and results were disastrous for me
My first outing with it was about as bad as could be. Had no idea where it was going. But once I got the thought out of my head that, this cannot possibly work.. it did and then some.
I know your a heavy weight FW guy but I figured I would mention it.

The new 3.0’s look interesting. I played a 2.0 a couple years back for a while.

Colorful graphics but it looks like weight decreased slightly, torque increased slightly. I found the 2.0 200 series very powerful in a hybrid and fairway. Just bought a 200 driver shaft to try in the Speed and Max (from Will Peoples).

AutoFlex....I would like to know if they are worth the cost.

AutoFlex....I would like to know if they are worth the cost.
I'll be real, I have almost no interest in them. I'd try one for driver if they ever sent it for review, but outside of that, I just think there's a feeling of something is amiss to it for me.

Wouldn't even hazard a guess. The shaft has to fit the characteristics of your swing. That's the value of fitting.

Wouldn't even hazard a guess. The shaft has to fit the characteristics of your swing. That's the value of fitting.
True, but discussion on a golf forum is fun too. ;)

True, but discussion on a golf forum is fun too. ;)
Oh, I knew that was the whole point of posting this thread. While I may not know much about your swing, I've learned enough about you to know that you wouldn't have asked that particular question for any other reason.

Oh, I knew that was the whole point of posting this thread. While I may not know much about your swing, I've learned enough about you to know that you wouldn't have asked that particular question for any other reason.
Haha, you are indeed correct!

Haha, you are indeed correct!

So having now hit the new SIM 2 titanium fwy - a smoke RDX blue 7x in one of these would be stupid distance for you

I really love the new hzrdus RDX black 70 gram. I feel a big difference from the previous smoke black 70.
Interesting! I would have guessed that you’d like the Blue because it’s counterbalanced.

So having now hit the new SIM 2 titanium fwy - a smoke RDX blue 7x in one of these would be stupid distance for you
Counterbalance isn’t my friend, haven’t enjoyed that one in the fairways I have it in, or the drivers.

You’re rocking the X again? Nice!

Counterbalance isn’t my friend, haven’t enjoyed that one in the fairways I have it in, or the drivers.

You’re rocking the X again? Nice!

i hit it during my fitting but x is just a little too much for me still but did change profile to a tip stiff from my usual softer profiles.

Very limited experience but I am really enjoying the tensei av raw white 75 in my 3 wood. Feels great and seems to fit my swing very well. Not a low launch shaft for my swing which goes against its label

Last edited:
Back