The 2021 MLB Thread

Bauer is right about these rules, this is going to be nearly impossible to enforce unless they grab a ball that ONLY the pitcher has touched. Who is to say that a substance didn't come from the catcher or fielder who handled the ball on a play?
I can see his side but he has also been vocal on how he can change spin rate at a whim. He brought the spotlight on himself so he has to deal with it.

I can see his side but he has also been vocal on how he can change spin rate at a whim. He brought the spotlight on himself so he has to deal with it.

I agree 100% and think he put a big target on his back because of everything he has said. I could see him getting hammered due to the jump in spin rate numbers these last 2 years, but this whole "bring the ball to the lab for testing" move by the mlb is going to cause more headaches for the league than anything.

I agree 100% and think he put a big target on his back because of everything he has said. I could see him getting hammered due to the jump in spin rate numbers these last 2 years, but this whole "bring the ball to the lab for testing" move by the mlb is going to cause more headaches for the league than anything.
This is another one of those don't get caught doing something that everyone else is doing type situations. A lot of pitchers are using substances, Bauer was dumb enough to take to twitter. A lot of teams steal signs, the Astros were dumb enough to bang a trash can. So on and so forth. I hope they inspect balls from Mike Fiers. He obviously uses substances and was a 🐀 so that would be fun. Of course the A's would have to stop hiding him.

This is another one of those don't get caught doing something that everyone else is doing type situations. A lot of pitchers are using substances, Bauer was dumb enough to take to twitter. A lot of teams steal signs, the Astros were dumb enough to bang a trash can. So on and so forth. I hope they inspect balls from Mike Fiers. He obviously uses substances and was a 🐀 so that would be fun. Of course the A's would have to stop hiding him.

To be fair, Bauer was on Twitter railing against those who use substances while he was a mediocre pitcher who (supposedly) played fair at the time. It wasn't until last year when his spin rate skyrocketed and he won the Cy that he was accused of being dirty. All that talk against the league and pitchers like Cole is going to haunt him now though. The issue here is--how do you prove the pitcher is the cause of the substance on the ball when things like pine tar are completely legal for everyone other than the pitcher? Good luck to mlb in proving that.

They don't have to prove anything, look what the NFL did to Brady (that bastard). Bauer was making excuses before he got "caught" so the court of public opinion will judge. The younger crowd likes Bauer and can see he does no wrong. People with a brain see his is immature but a good pitcher. :LOL:

Phils are in a mini-skid and go down in order on 7 pitches to start tonight’s game.

Better turn that game back on
I can’t help myself. They know I’ll keep coming back despite however increasingly desperate I seem!

Better turn that game back on

It’s an entertaining game tonight. Going to have to go into the bullpen for both teams tonight.

interesting replay in the top of the ninth. I don’t think the Phillies runner touched home. Ump called him safe and I guess there wasn’t enough on replay to overturn call.

interesting replay in the top of the ninth. I don’t think the Phillies runner touched home. Ump called him safe and I guess there wasn’t enough on replay to overturn call.

Interesting is a word... Horrible call to uphold that safe decision. Why even have replay if that can't be overturned?

Interesting is a word... Horrible call to uphold that safe decision. Why even have replay if that can't be overturned?

MLB is going with the couldn’t definitively determine that his foot didn’t touch home before he was tagged. So, the safe call stands. Don’t know what the replay guys were looking at. At least two of the replays they showed during the game clearly showed that the runner’s foot never touched the plate.

I am a big phillies fan and I think he missed the plate...crazy that they did not over turn that.

Also, the phils should have plunked acuna...no showboating. Plunk him

I am a big phillies fan and I think he missed the plate...crazy that they did not over turn that.

Also, the phils should have plunked acuna...no showboating. Plunk him
I thought if anything they would call catcher interference since it didn’t look like he touched the plate. Regarding Acuña, he seems like a super personable dude and the guys generally respect him. He plays the game like all guys from Venezuela and unless he’s staring down the pitcher I’m not sure they’re gonna throw at him.

I thought if anything they would call catcher interference since it didn’t look like he touched the plate. Regarding Acuña, he seems like a super personable dude and the guys generally respect him. He plays the game like all guys from Venezuela and unless he’s staring down the pitcher I’m not sure they’re gonna throw at him.
I don't like the eye roll emoji...I wish they had a shaking head one. I am referring to the acuna comments. I'm not that old (47) but I like old school baseball and unwritten rules. I will say it again- plunk him.

I don't like the eye roll emoji...I wish they had a shaking head one. I am referring to the acuna comments. I'm not that old (47) but I like old school baseball and unwritten rules. I will say it again- plunk him.
I’m largely in the same boat regarding unwritten rules, but I do feel like we’re starting to see a blending of culture with the more exuberant celebrations that are common in the Caribbean and South American leagues.

I’m largely in the same boat regarding unwritten rules, but I do feel like we’re starting to see a blending of culture with the more exuberant celebrations that are common in the Caribbean and South American leagues.
I personally don't feel the showboating brings anything to baseball, it turns me off. I hate odubelas (spelling) bat flips. That's just my opinion

I personally don't feel the showboating brings anything to baseball, it turns me off. I hate odubelas (spelling) bat flips. That's just my opinion
I'm ok with bat flips because they seem to let pitchers whoop it up and yell and punch their gloves after big strikeouts, especially toward the end of a game or bases loaded innings. If you don't allow/want bat flips and celebrations then have the pitchers tone down their stuff too.

Throwing a baseball as hard as you can at someone because you think they celebrated the wrong way seems like a completely disproportionate response to me. To each their own though.

I could maybe see it if there had been an attempt to injure a player with a dirty slide or something, but because of a celebration? Just strike him out and do a little showboating of your own.

Back