TaylorMade Releases P7MB, P7MC and P770 Irons

I got the P770 which is my first new set of irons since the Ping i20. So far I like them. They look fantastic. Feel really good. No complaints thus far although I have only hit them twice and on mats.

Want a hot take?

I think the P760 are better than the new P770.
And on cue! Or.. you posted first. :unsure:

I loved the 760's. I don't think that's too hot of a take. I think the 770's are a great club for a lot of people, and the performance of them in the long irons has been great for me. I freaking love my 770 3i. But I wished from the beginning they would have just updated the 760's.
And just like that I’m on the lookout for a clean set of p760’s

I was actually about to put in an order for the 770s tomorrow but went and hit them against the new Apex Pro 21 and Mizuno 921. They felt a bit harsh compared to both of those. I really wanted to like them better. Now I am at a loss and to which to choose.

I put some of these in play today for the first time in a while. Shaft change was a bit tough at first, but man, I do like those P7MC's. Compact and crisp and all kinds of good.

And I seriously missed that P770 3i. That club is near perfection for me at that distance. Easy speed, easy to control compared to a utility, looks great over the ball. I need to work that back in. So good for what I try to do.

I'm going to put the 770's up against my Apex Pros for some comparison. The 770's don't get a lot of love on THP, but they perform. The data will be interesting.

Went back to the P7MC's again today (and 770 3i), and did a thing. Best score of the year so far, best differential of the year so far, best lotta things so far. Hate when that happens when the 'A' bag is at home. :LOL:

Looking back through the thread I've had a ton of success with them right from the start, and for that to continue after not playing them for a long time says a lot to me. They just suit. Small, solid, neutral cg, lots of feedback... I'm glad I've hung onto them.

That P770 did something (flew and held a driveable (loose term, near impossible) par 4) that a LOT of other clubs haven't been able to do, too. Countless utilities and hybrids tried, and only the 770 3i has succeeded.

Went back to the P7MC's again today (and 770 3i), and did a thing. Best score of the year so far, best differential of the year so far, best lotta things so far. Hate when that happens when the 'A' bag is at home. :LOL:

Looking back through the thread I've had a ton of success with them right from the start, and for that to continue after not playing them for a long time says a lot to me. They just suit. Small, solid, neutral cg, lots of feedback... I'm glad I've hung onto them.

That P770 did something (flew and held a driveable (loose term, near impossible) par 4) that a LOT of other clubs haven't been able to do, too. Countless utilities and hybrids tried, and only the 770 3i has succeeded.

are these being moved to the ‘A’ bag?

are these being moved to the ‘A’ bag?
No, but they're back in ponder mode. Looking back through was revelatory. I knew and know I like them, but now I'm curious if I run the numbers if there's a recent set I've actually scored better with overall than them. I mean, double digit differentials don't come easy. :unsure:

No, but they're back in ponder mode. Looking back through was revelatory. I knew and know I like them, but now I'm curious if I run the numbers if there's a recent set I've actually scored better with overall than them. I mean, double digit differentials don't come easy. :unsure:
Haha, #’s don’t lie!

20210331_230322.jpg20210331_230437.jpg

Just a couple pics of the black re-shafted and finished P7MC's. They're here to stay. 770 4i with them.

And for those who build and are considering or searching for info on the P7MC - keyword headweight

They were:

4i - 255.21g
5i - 261.08g
6i - 267.74g
7i - 273.45g
8i - 282.26g
9i - 290.50g
P - 297.77g

Little variation but nothing too weird, and on the heavier side.

Last edited:
Reactions: MH
So these have been outplaying my Apex Players combo lately. Just monster scores when I take them along. I honestly think it's the shafts right now more than the heads, but I think, right now, if I had to play a match again tomorrow, I would take the P7MC. I think. They're really really good.

Love the solid feel of them. It's definitely a little unique to them. More blade-like sole is great in the turf, and they're real compact, which I'm a huge fan of. I'm not sure I'd design one much different to suit me.

Last edited:
Fighting things a bit and still shot net par when I brought out the P7MC's today. P770 4i was just what was needed on a tough 218 par 3 into the wind, too. 15' Have seen a couple sets out and about here locally now, and the local TM guy is selling more 7MC's lately. It's a shame there's a bit of a divide between the 770 and MC. Makes a combo a little different. MC's are pretty player in the 4-5, but still underrated.

Fighting things a bit and still shot net par when I brought out the P7MC's today. P770 4i was just what was needed on a tough 218 par 3 into the wind, too. 15' Have seen a couple sets out and about here locally now, and the local TM guy is selling more 7MC's lately. It's a shame there's a bit of a divide between the 770 and MC. Makes a combo a little different. MC's are pretty player in the 4-5, but still underrated.

Any issues today were probably the ball. 🤔

Any issues today were probably the ball. 🤔
The only issues were mine. Those MC's are so solid. I love 'em. They did feel super weird with the divides though. That first one from the rough felt like a mishit. Like 'wait.. what was that? Did I pound the ground?'. Lol

The only issues were mine. Those MC's are so solid. I love 'em. They did feel super weird with the divides though. That first one from the rough felt like a mishit. Like 'wait.. what was that? Did I pound the ground?'. Lol

that low compression ball didn’t even know what hit it..

Long review here. I picked up the P770 with stock shafts and grips in the offseason. Got a lot of range time in and have played several rounds. This is as much a ball review as it is a club review though. I switched out stuff because my set up last year (i200 + tp5x) was just hard feeling and I wanted to get a little better feel. I started playing the p770 plus pro v1. I was really disappointed with distance out of these irons and shots were coming out low and falling short. I noticed the same thing with my driver and 3w, which had not changed. I eventually switched back to the tp5x (2019 version) that I had left over and the distance and launch angle both went up significantly.

Back to the club.

The good:
- The feedback and feel is nice. I instantly know where I hit the ball on the clubface. Much better than the i200. This is helping me correct things during the round.
- The distance is about what I expected based on reviews. I picked up about a half a club length.
- If you are into this, the P770 are really good looking clubs both in the bag and at address.
- The turf interaction is better than I anticipated. It doesn't dig or grab but I feel I can get in after balls that aren't good lies.

Not sure:
- These clubs don't want to put side spin on the ball. I have tried to work the ball a little left and right and it ends up going dead straight. This is true for mishits too where shots off the heel and toe don't badly hook or slice. If you want to work the ball, you really have to exaggerate your swing motion.

The bad:
- While balls off center go the direction you are aiming, you lose significantly more distance than what I was used to with the i200.
- The stock shafts and grips are fine. They are pretty close to what I normally play but the 1/4" shorter length is really irritating. I was unaware that TaylorMade did this until after I had the clubs.

Takeaways:
- The ball I play had a bigger impact on launch angle and distance than the clubs. That really surprised me.
- I'm kind of "meh" on the clubs. I know people are used to "love them" or "hate them" reviews but I'm definitely in the middle. If you are a good ball striker looking for a little extra distance and have the few months of patience to wait for custom clubs, you might really like these. I have been golfing for a very long time and I have had two of my best shots of my life with these clubs paired with the tp5x but also a lot of disappointing ones with the proV1 and general distance variation based on strike location. I'm going to give it some time.

Wanted to work on some things today, so switched it up so the gear would force me to even more. Brought out the P7MC's for the first time a while. I've been real consistent with shafts across sets lately, so it was a whole different feel. Combined with working on the swing, I had some rough ones. Also had a head fly off after a strike. That was crazy. Checked my notes and quick fix'd the MC PW and MG2 AW last minute during last shaft swap, and kind of forgot about that, so they'll both get done right tonight.

So, despite all that.. net -2. Besides loving the solid blade-like feel as always, I swear these heads must just be good luck or something. It's absurd. Every round with them ends well. This is why I can never bring myself to even think of getting rid of them.

Just gonna keep being the only one in this thread I guess...

Not feeling great and wanted to change things up a bit, so brought the P7MC's today. I will NEVER understand why I don't hear about them more online. I constantly hear about stuff I just never see in the wild, but never hear about these here and DO actually see them. Because they're freaking awesome. I can think of a bunch of blades, and a LOT of players cavity, that these best in feel and performance.

And the 770 long irons compete with anything similar. I've put them up against just about every other players hollow out there, they perform well. It's not a great feel category by any manufacturer with what's currently out, so I feel like it's hard to really lose out based on that. I'm not sure if people just can't picture a combo with them. I struggled with that. Hated the look of the MC's compared to 770 and MB, and didn't like how they were side by side. Performance of the MC's has really trumped that for me. Anyone with blade dreams that can't quite handle them, or wants a more solid feel, or small package with some forgiveness is doing themselves a disservice by not trying them. Long irons are compact narrow soled beauties, and the short irons pack a little more low mass and spin like a blade but with forgiveness. And the feel is addicting.

I'll go back to the popular threads now.. 😢

Would it help if I pointed out that Morikawa just won the Open with them, and switched the blades part of his bag to the MC's for that tournament to help him win?

That they sound and feel better than TCB's?

That they can be found cheaper now?

'Cause all those things are true.

the p7mc has had my interest since day 1. but once i tried the 770 and hated everything about it, i kinda lost interest in the mc.

the p7mc has had my interest since day 1. but once i tried the 770 and hated everything about it, i kinda lost interest in the mc.
It has to be the 770, and the potential combo's with it holding them back. There's a good TM guy here, and he sells the heck out of that combo though. I only play the 4 (and the 3, some) but it's basically interchangeable with the Apex Pro, and most people don't seem to mind them. :confused2:

Would it help if I pointed out that Morikawa just won the Open with them, and switched the blades part of his bag to the MC's for that tournament to help him win?

Fair points but do they have "tour" or "pro" in their name, or a flashy tech story, or limited release, or associated to any THP events

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Performance wise how do the compare to the TCB’s? I really liked the p760’s and would totally pick up another of of them and if the MC’s play similar I know I would like them. They do look better than the 760’s

You need to change the iron order in your signature lol

Back