Do Dress Codes Bother You?

Canadan

You Are Great
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
I've been a part of an interesting debate on social this evening about dress codes and I am blown away by how many people are genuinely bothered by them. Some have gone so far as to say that dress codes (or at least adhering to them) are what's wrong with golf, and hinders growth.

Curious to know how you feel about it, and whether your course selection (to play or to belong) is impacted by their dress code policy.

I support the dress codes. I think most are reasonable. The only one I disagree with is the no shorts on tour.

The only thing that would bother me is if the course required pants. I would play elsewhere.

Nope. Totally understandable and I agree with them.

My bigger problem is with people who want to enforce a dress code when there isn't one.

-Guy who played golf in track pants last week

Not bothered by it the least bit. If I want to play on their course you have to play by their rules.

I think that the pga tour players should be able to wear shorts. I think that rule is dumb. But it is a rule so till it gets changed no point in crying about it.

other than that. I like going to a nice course and seeing everyone like nice. There is a bit of peacock to the game of golf which is both fun and silly.

i do chuckle a little that loud mouth pants are ok and jeans are not. But whatever.. lol.

I don’t like my dress affect the course. I let the course affect my dress.

Dress code doesn't bother me.

In this case, the person knew what they were signing up for. Private club with a known dress code...

Personally, I think some dress code is reasonable. For instance, must wear golf shoes, shirt and pants/shorts/skirt. But it doesn’t bother me if that shirt is a polo, tank top, or tee. Couldn’t care less if you’re wearing jeans, khakis, or leggings. Especially if that’s during practice on the range.

I understand history and integrity, but I don’t think wearing black socks instead of white is going to make any difference.

Dress code for sure

No problem I can wear a proper shirt. I also played in nice track pants as they we called.
But I adapt to where I am at and the conditions.

I am a guest in their house, Too many people seem to forget that.

Doesn’t bother me one bit. I’m actually in favor of them as long as they’re reasonable.

If “growth” means that golf courses should be allowed to look like a homeless camp or a gang hangout, I’m not an advocate at all. Golf doesn’t need that kind of “growth”.

They don't bother me, but I think it's a bit silly at times. Forcing someone to wear a polo shirt for a $20 municipal course to just go out and have fun is pretty ridiculous. I understand clubs and more prestigious courses, though even that is a bit over the top at times.

Doesn’t bother me at all, but I do wish there was a course that was also a waterpark so I could play in my swim trunks.

Dress codes don’t bother me. It is like most things, most people will follow by the rules and some will have a problem with it.

I’m fine with them except for the tucked in shirt rule. I’m a fat dude and we tend to look worse and sloppier with a tucked in shirt. Not to mention that’s it’s usually untucked by the third hole on its own

They don't bother me, but I think it's a bit silly at times. Forcing someone to wear a polo shirt for a $20 municipal course to just go out and have fun is pretty ridiculous. I understand clubs and more prestigious courses, though even that is a bit over the top at times.
Are there many munis like that? I absolutely LOVE how many courses are out there on the lower end of both the price and attire spectrum for people to enjoy.

There should be a no tank top rule. And no denim cargo jorts.

I absolutely support dress codes.......to an extent. Examples: no jeans, no cargo shorts, shirts must have a collar. Now on the other hand the fact the so many people get all bent out of shape about a "golf brand specific hoodie" blows my mind. I can understand a dress code for collegiate type or distasteful hoodies. But, a golf hoodie? Cmon

Back