Do Dress Codes Bother You?

Dress codes don’t bother me if the course lives up to the dress code. Played Atchafalaya at idle wild in southern La. no denim and collared shirts. The course doesn’t warrant such a dress code. Traps were horrible course condition was decent at best. Several places on course where ground was under repair by wild pigs. Far cry from a country club setting.
That's an interesting dynamic... that a course dress code should be a reflection of the quality..

hmm

Dress code is fine with me. One of the private clubs in my area has written into their bylaws that jeans are OK. The owner wanted it that way, he owns the course. That's how it works.

It just never made sense to me that you're forced to wear clothing that likely costs two or three times more than the activity itself. Golf is expensive enough as it is.
You can go to Walmart and buy a polo and a pair of shorts for less than the cost of a box of golf balls.

Dress code gave me an excuse to buy some new duds when I started golfing again.
Downside is that I can’t hide that I snuck out to play. I’m usually T-shirt, cargos and flip flops.
Upside is that people think I actually know how to golf by wearing the clothes.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

As long as they are plainly stated somewhere, I have no problem adhering to them. I like dressing that way anyways so I’m not bothered by it.

Dress codes don't bother me. The attitudes surrounding them do.

Usually the places that I perceive to have the strictest dress codes seem to be filled with the snootiest people.

i'm probably the wrong guy to think objectively about this. i own a lot of khaki, and penny loafers, and needlepoint belts. i own very few hoodies, or joggers, or toms.

if someone wants to make the argument that golf is held back by the prevailing accepted dress code, because that dress code is associated with a certain demographic upon whom is projected certain bigotry, ignorance, and regressive ideology, i suppose i can understand (though vehemently disagree) with that viewpoint.

but if someone is saying people avoid the golf course because certain clothes are required, i can't get behind that at all. has anyone ever enjoyed the hell out of top golf or the driving range but said "no, i won't pursue this any further because i don't and won't own a collared shirt. and denim is the only material that will ever contact my skin below the waist. so i'm out!"

This child of the 60's has no problem with dress codes whatsoever. In fact, being as some parents obviously never taught their children how to dress appropriately to appear in public (*cough*Walmart*cough*): I welcome them 😉

I'll tuck mine in to balance it out.
Is Hammy up to 50 pops a side yet?

if he makes you cross the Columbus line, you have to take 25 back.

Is Hammy up to 50 pops a side yet?

if he makes you cross the Columbus line, you have to take 25 back.
I'm 90% sure at this point I have to play with left handed junior clubs with one eye closed and an arm tied behind my back.

...and 25 a side :ROFLMAO:

I'm 90% sure at this point I have to play with left handed junior clubs with one eye closed and an arm tied behind my back.

...and 25 a side :ROFLMAO:
But the creativity he’d use to still cheat will be comedic gold.

That's an interesting dynamic... that a course dress code should be a reflection of the quality..

hmm
Not wearing a suit to the beat down muni.

hmm
There are some "country courses" around me that are not overly fancy, the only difference between fairway and rough is mower height and the greens might actually be painted green. You might be able to walk 18 holes for a Hamilton. and get change back I mean, jorts and tank tops are just as likely as a collared shirt from the 1988 US Open. If a person golfs there, why worry about anything clothing related?

I think dress codes are reflective of a business's desired customers. It's can be a mild form of ... discouragement, but I don't typically have a problem with them. It's your business, you write the policy. If I want to play there, I'll conform or play somewhere else. I 100% don't think golf itself needs a dress code though. If the place is cool with it, wear what you're comfortable in and get after it imo.

As a mini/public course player up in "The Willy Wacks" I see all kinds of things being worn on the course. From wife beaters, torn jeans and, work boots to dress like the pros pretenders. As long as the course and other players are repected it's fine with me. Of course I may make fun of you but, you do you! 😎

Zero problems as long as there not overly restrictive.... “must wear slacks” etc

Naw, does not bother me at all

I don't mind them, but that probably has something to do with my age and previous private club membership. I still like to look sharp on the links, though now I play public courses.

As long as they are plainly stated somewhere, I have no problem adhering to them. I like dressing that way anyways so I’m not bothered by it.
If I’m playing a course I’m not familiar with, I assume that non-denim shorts and a collared shirt will get me on with no problem. That’ll do the trick at probably 95% of the courses we mortals play.

If I was playing some particularly fancy/high end course, I’d check their website or call and ask just to make sure.

*WARNING* Here comes a rant.
I’m 100% in favor of dress codes, in fact, I’d be in favor of dress codes in a lot more places besides the golf course.
I don’t know exactly how it happened, but around 20 years ago people suddenly became okay with “dressing down” wherever they went. I’d love to see restaurants, clubs, and of course golf courses turn away people dressed like slobs.
Saturday nights at a nice restaurant, social gatherings, church... heck, I remember when people got dressed up to fly on an airplane. Sloppy casual has become way too acceptable, IMO. Have some pride, and get outta here with jorts, or jeans and a tee on a golf course.
Dont get me wrong, I live in an area where 9-10 months a year I’m in shorts, a tee and sandals. I still take pride in looking neat and clean however. When I golf, I’m always in a nice golf outfit, and if I’m going out at night, I make sure to dress well also.
You don’t need a lot of money to dress nicely. If money is an issue, a few basic items in your closet, an iron and a washing machine are all you need to make a nice appearance.

*WARNING* Here comes a rant.
I’m 100% in favor of dress codes, in fact, I’d be in favor of dress codes in a lot more places besides the golf course.
I don’t know exactly how it happened, but around 20 years ago people suddenly became okay with “dressing down” wherever they went. I’d love to see restaurants, clubs, and of course golf courses turn away people dressed like slobs.
Saturday nights at a nice restaurant, social gatherings, church... heck, I remember when people got dressed up to fly on an airplane. Sloppy casual has become way too acceptable, IMO. Have some pride, and get outta here with jorts, or jeans and a tee on a golf course.
Dont get me wrong, I live in an area where 9-10 months a year I’m in shorts, a tee and sandals. I still take pride in looking neat and clean however. When I golf, I’m always in a nice golf outfit, and if I’m going out at night, I make sure to dress well also.
You don’t need a lot of money to dress nicely. If money is an issue, a few basic items in your closet, an iron and a washing machine are all you need to make a nice appearance.
I suppose that some of what you're describing really depends on climate as well. Kind of hard to dress up a toque, parka, boots and snow pants when it's the middle of winter up here. Even in the office, during the winter it's understood that you're likely showing up to work in your -74 snow boots, fur hat, and down jacket. Of course the boots get swapped for proper shoes once you're inside, but otherwise there are no three-piece suits going on.

I do agree with you though that what's 'normal' seems to have changed significantly over the past few years. I remember having day/school/dinner clothes, and then changing into chores/play clothes.

I absolutely support dress codes.......to an extent. Examples: no jeans, no cargo shorts, shirts must have a collar. Now on the other hand the fact the so many people get all bent out of shape about a "golf brand specific hoodie" blows my mind. I can understand a dress code for collegiate type or distasteful hoodies. But, a golf hoodie? Cmon
Sorry, but I’m going to disagree with you here. Golf hoodie is an oxymoron. if you play nice courses or belong to a club you played golf all your life without a hoodie, but suddenly it’s okay because adidas says so? Nah, don’t think so. It’s an apparel company going too far and I’m fine with a course saying no.
I remember a month or so ago Dustin Johnson began a morning round with a really nice looking white “golf hoodie”. As much as I liked it on him, I thought this isn’t going to end well for people trying to get on a lot of courses. I hope I’m right.

I suppose that some of what you're describing really depends on climate as well. Kind of hard to dress up a toque, parka, boots and snow pants when it's the middle of winter up here. Even in the office, during the winter it's understood that you're likely showing up to work in your -74 snow boots, fur hat, and down jacket. Of course the boots get swapped for proper shoes once you're inside, but otherwise there are no three-piece suits going on.

I do agree with you though that what's 'normal' seems to have changed significantly over the past few years. I remember having day/school/dinner clothes, and then changing into chores/play clothes.
I agree, winter golf, staying warm is the #1 priority,. I do the same myself.

No issue with dress codes. In fact, I kind of like them and wish they were more prevalent.

That said, I can't imagine ever being bothered about someone else's dress. No way I'd ever lodge a complaint about it.

Back