2021 TaylorMade TP5 and TP5x Golf Balls

personalized a dozen each of TP5 and TP5x so waiting on those to come... Tried the new TP5x which was noticeably less firm than previous version. Its hard to get a sense of ball performance in march/April/may golf in Chicago with the wet and windy conditions. Every drive ive hit in the fairway so far has either plugged or actually bounced backwards a yard

I will say carry distance has been very impressive and consistent hitting in to the wind

ive played the Bridgestone Tour B XS the past 3 years for at least 90% of my rounds. I love that ball but just for the sake of changing and trying something new I wanted to give these a chance. I think ultimately TP5 will be the winner for me since its more comparable and I like the short iron and wedge performance

I think this TP5x might be my ball. I really like it. Fast, firm but not hard, doesn't seem to cross into the danger zone of spin for me, and I like the flight off pretty much everything.

I still like the new ProV offerings, and have been playing the V1x some, but I think this TP5x has changed just enough to work for me. I'm gonna order a 4 for 3 and call it good. TP5 is out.

20210409_133948.jpg

Oh, and today is finally April 9th. So go get your yellows y'all.

TGW has a great deal on 2021 TP5x. Box of 4 dozen balls at great price. Limited.

TGW has a great deal on 2021 TP5x. Box of 4 dozen balls at great price. Limited.
Yep. First place I spotted the 3 + 1 for them, and where I ordered mine.

Anyone seen those in stores? I've seen just about every other brand/model 3 +1 that's doing it, but no blue boxes.

Yep. First place I spotted the 3 + 1 for them, and where I ordered mine.

Anyone seen those in stores? I've seen just about every other brand/model 3 +1 that's doing it, but no blue boxes.
I was at the PGATSS on Saturday (Walked in and out and didn't buy anything!) and it looked like Chrome Soft is coming in a 4 dozen "Boxes"
Bridgestone is doing 3 Dozen Boxes.

Last edited:
I was at the PGATSS on Saturday (Walked in and out an didn't buy anything) and it looked like Chrome Soft is coming in a 4 dozen "Boxes"
Yeah, most of the balls are in those boxes (3 + 1 free) this year. The Titleist ones are everywhere. I hadn't seen any TP5/x though. Hadn't seen much of the TP5 balls in general outside of the two places that get everything really early here.

Yeah, most of the balls are in those boxes (3 + 1 free) this year. The Titleist ones are everywhere. I hadn't seen any TP5/x though. Hadn't seen much of the TP5 balls in general outside of the two places that get everything really early here.
Just clarifying... You haven’t seen any TP 3+1 in yellow, have you? I have looked everywhere to no avail.

Also, the TaylorMade website is now saying the TP5X in yellow is unavailable until late June. Those who want it in yellow had better grab some in retail stores while they remain in stock.

Just clarifying... You haven’t seen any TP 3+1 in yellow, have you? I have looked everywhere to no avail.

Also, the TaylorMade website is now saying the TP5X in yellow is unavailable until late June. Those who want it in yellow had better grab some in retail stores while they remain in stock.
Whaaat in the... ?? How can they be out of balls already? This is ridiculous.

And no, I haven't. But ya know what, I'll look later today. I haven't done much golf shopping lately. Good excuse. ;)

20210412_152850.jpg

So are the pix out yet too, 'cause I hadn't really thought about them, but they've been out on the piles for a while here.

This place has about 5 boxes of the TP5x yellow, lots of TP5 yellow, and lots of the new pix.

View attachment 9002715

So are the pix out yet too, 'cause I hadn't really thought about them, but they've been out on the piles for a while here.

This place has about 5 boxes of the TP5x yellow, lots of TP5 yellow, and lots of the new pix.
I went into my local store at lunch and they had 4 boxes of TP5x yellow. It appears more and more that there is a supply chain issue and limited quantities currently. I doubt that there will be a buy 3 get one promotion, so I just bought 3 of the 4 boxes. I am set for quite a while.

IMG_4132.jpg

So just to verify.....2019 on the left, and 2021 on the right correct?

Thanks....I like how the '21 played for me. It's a night and day difference for me between the two. I will stock up on some '21's and figure out what to do with the the few dozen '19's that I have.

I played 9 holes this evening with the new TP5x. It was cold and windy, but based on this very small sample size, I don’t think I could find a more perfect ball for my game. It is long. It does not feel that “click-ish” sound to me. I hit it side by side with the ChromeSoft X LS and the TP5x felt significantly softer. I am committing to the TP5x for the year.

Haven't tried the 21 version, but am fully committed to the 19 TP5. Haven't done that before, but after 2 rounds I honestly have no interest in trying anything else. I've used the same ball 36 holes and its netted me a PB round, a new high GIR and I'm getting up and down from spots I've never dreamed of.

After the Divide shots today I switched back to TP5x and immediately went birdie, birdie. Obviously a sign.

And then I must have missed the pretty colors, because I switch to the yellow TP5x. And made some more birdies. So.. more signs. 😆

Seriously though, I was hitting some great wedge shots with the TP5x today, and it's real good off the tee. They're doing what I'm asking them to do. Glad I ordered 4 dozen. One less thing.

After the Divide shots today I switched back to TP5x and immediately went birdie, birdie. Obviously a sign.

And then I must have missed the pretty colors, because I switch to the yellow TP5x. And made some more birdies. So.. more signs. 😆

Seriously though, I was hitting some great wedge shots with the TP5x today, and it's real good off the tee. They're doing what I'm asking them to do. Glad I ordered 4 dozen. One less thing.
I bought the three boxes of yellow mentioned a few posts above and then ordered the 4 for 3 from TGW. I am going to load up my shag bag with ‘21 TP5x, so that my practice will be with the same ball I play. How’s that for commitment? Still shooting for that scratch goal.

I bought the three boxes of yellow mentioned a few posts above and then ordered the 4 for 3 from TGW. I am going to load up my shag bag with ‘21 TP5x, so that my practice will be with the same ball I play. How’s that for commitment? Still shooting for that scratch goal.
I love it! I'll still try a few others on real casual outings, and the new Prov1x still has my attention for when I'm playing the ZX7, but I don't know how often that will be. Outside of that, I'm all in on the new TP5x. I put some in every bag for the same reason. If I'm somewhere and want to putt/chip, I want them with me.

I really like everything about the TP5x, except one thing. It definitely does not hold up as well as the Titleist Pro V balls. After one round with a TP5x today, it definitely showed some marks.

20210509_160058.jpg

Switched to yellow today playing with the wife. Had an old one I started with that had already played a round, and switched to this one just before the turn. Hitting some fairways (and some limbs), couple tough punch outs from mixed hardpan/rocks/twigs, and every lie in between, and this is my ball after cleaning. Definitely not perfect, but it's interesting to me that what seems like a softer cover holds up fine for me and the way I crunch balls, but I can chew the cover off some other X's (that seem thinner) in just a few holes/couple specific lies. I think they seem to take on colors and look dirtier than previous version, but I don't have any actual playability issues. The ProV1x doesn't actually seem any better to me overall. Marks in different ways, but I pull them after the same number of holes on average. Haven't put the new Srixon XV into play, so can't say on that one, and I try not to compare balls across different types (X vs. non-X, hard vs. soft, whatever). I can generally play a full round with the TP5x though, with it doing everything I want it to do, and that's about the most I get out of any ball. So I'm sticking with 'em.

I don't play yellow much. Mostly when I play with casual groups and one buddy, so this isn't my area, bit I think I actually have a harder time tracking this yellow than a couple others. I lost it a couple times today in lower light, and I've noticed that before. Might just be a me thing.

Are they buy 3 get one free anywhere now?

Are they buy 3 get one free anywhere now?
Looks like TGW still has the TP5. Others online had them both a few weeks ago. Edwin Watts has them locally here.

Edit: PGA Superstore looks to still have the X online.

View attachment 9007118

Switched to yellow today playing with the wife. Had an old one I started with that had already played a round, and switched to this one just before the turn. Hitting some fairways (and some limbs), couple tough punch outs from mixed hardpan/rocks/twigs, and every lie in between, and this is my ball after cleaning. Definitely not perfect, but it's interesting to me that what seems like a softer cover holds up fine for me and the way I crunch balls, but I can chew the cover off some other X's (that seem thinner) in just a few holes/couple specific lies. I think they seem to take on colors and look dirtier than previous version, but I don't have any actual playability issues. The ProV1x doesn't actually seem any better to me overall. Marks in different ways, but I pull them after the same number of holes on average. Haven't put the new Srixon XV into play, so can't say on that one, and I try not to compare balls across different types (X vs. non-X, hard vs. soft, whatever). I can generally play a full round with the TP5x though, with it doing everything I want it to do, and that's about the most I get out of any ball. So I'm sticking with 'em.

I don't play yellow much. Mostly when I play with casual groups and one buddy, so this isn't my area, bit I think I actually have a harder time tracking this yellow than a couple others. I lost it a couple times today in lower light, and I've noticed that before. Might just be a me thing.

I played with a yellow TP5 a couple weeks ago and noticed after about four holes the yellow had come off in one spot. The ball only came into contact with clubs and grass. I switched the ball out and did not notice any other issues with any other ball, except the ones I lost. Hoping that is an outlier because I love the ball so far.

I played with a yellow TP5 a couple weeks ago and noticed after about four holes the yellow had come off in one spot. The ball only came into contact with clubs and grass. I switched the ball out and did not notice any other issues with any other ball, except the ones I lost. Hoping that is an outlier because I love the ball so far.
It's a bit of mystery to me, because I'm really hard on balls, but this cover seems thicker and softer, and like it gets rubs and smudges more than actual scuffs or cuts for me. The turf here is definitely outside the norm from my experience though so who knows. With some harder balls with thin covers I can get through them real quick on certain strikes. Like when I pinch them it cuts, and these seem more pliable-ish. It's weird. Srixon's always seemd the most durable, and I like V1x, which seems close in cover durability for me. They've softened that this year too though.

I loaded up a sleeve from a different box to see if I get any different results, and if it ever dries out here that could maybe change things too.

Back