Callaway Epic Speed and Epic Max Drivers and Fairway Woods

I played my second round yesterday with my Epic Max LS That I purchased from @MH . Thanks again to my western friend @MH , great guy to deal with and wish him the best with his new TSi. I paired the head with an Accra TZ6 M4 that I purchased this past winter and the combination not only looks sick but boy, what an upgrade from my Epic Flash Subzero.

I’ve only made one tweak since my third drive I took with it in its first maiden voyage, as the courses completely soaked up here right now so not ideal conditions to experiment. So far though distance has been a surprisingly great with an increase in distance as well as dispersion. Also, just so much more forgiving and consistent. The sound versus my previous Epic Flash is like night and day. I really like the muted sound off the face and sometimes I doubt how far I hit it because the sound is so different from my previous driver and I just forever reason didn’t expect it was as far as it ended up going. So looking forward to my next round.

The bad news… the provincial government has put us in the four week lock down minimum so all golf courses etc. are closed until May 20 at the earliest. What a bummer. This year was probably the earliest opening in probably 15 to 20 years and to get shut down after just starting a week ago is just a big disappointment. After waiting almost 6 months for golf and then being told to put everything on the back burner for another month just sucks. Well my wife has a long laundry list of outdoor gardening to get done so it looks like I’ll be a gardener for the next month ☹️.

The Epic Speed 7 wd ... as it seems higher lofted woods are making a comeback; size seems just right for a higher lofted wood in the Speed line.

Riptide 71g at 41.75 inches and D3. I have an Accra 85g shaft that I can use, and cut it to 41.25; but will see how it plays in this stock shaft. Riptide is very smooth feeling. The Accra is tighter.

I will re-grip with a MCC +4 or extra wraps as I want to grip down to play it at 41.25 most of the time; when it is in the bag.

IMG_0363.jpg
IMG_0365.jpg

Last edited:
I played my second round yesterday with my Epic Max LS That I purchased from @MH . Thanks again to my western friend @MH , great guy to deal with and wish him the best with his new TSi. I paired the head with an Accra TZ6 M4 that I purchased this past winter and the combination not only looks sick but boy, what an upgrade from my Epic Flash Subzero.

I’ve only made one tweak since my third drive I took with it in its first maiden voyage, as the courses completely soaked up here right now so not ideal conditions to experiment. So far though distance has been a surprisingly great with an increase in distance as well as dispersion. Also, just so much more forgiving and consistent. The sound versus my previous Epic Flash is like night and day. I really like the muted sound off the face and sometimes I doubt how far I hit it because the sound is so different from my previous driver and I just forever reason didn’t expect it was as far as it ended up going. So looking forward to my next round.

The bad news… the provincial government has put us in the four week lock down minimum so all golf courses etc. are closed until May 20 at the earliest. What a bummer. This year was probably the earliest opening in probably 15 to 20 years and to get shut down after just starting a week ago is just a big disappointment. After waiting almost 6 months for golf and then being told to put everything on the back burner for another month just sucks. Well my wife has a long laundry list of outdoor gardening to get done so it looks like I’ll be a gardener for the next month ☹.
I’m glad the LS is working out for you, it’s terrible Ontario went to a full stay at home order lockdown. I sure hope Alberta doesn’t follow suit

i didn't have my best feels with the driver swing today, but the epic max did me a solid and gave me so many better drives than i deserved. such a freaking fun driver.

Played my first 18 today with the Epic Max LS / Tensei Orange combination and really had one of the best driving rounds I can ever remember. Other than hitting three well placed fairway bunkers, every other drive was in play and at times pretty dang long for me. Really excited by how that went, particularly on a day where shorter clubs were not stellar.

Playing a second round tomorrow and am going to use the MMT 60 shaft instead so I kind of get a head to head comparison.

Nice day for sure with what has been my biggest struggle.

Played my first 18 today with the Epic Max LS / Tensei Orange combination and really had one of the best driving rounds I can ever remember. Other than hitting three well placed fairway bunkers, every other drive was in play and at times pretty dang long for me. Really excited by how that went, particularly on a day where shorter clubs were not stellar.

Playing a second round tomorrow and am going to use the MMT 60 shaft instead so I kind of get a head to head comparison.

Let us know how you get on with the MMT 60. Great shaft IMHO. I had a decent driving day today, a bit up and down, but it was all me, good or bad. The Epic Max with MMT 60 performs when I give it something to work with...

I like the MMT 60 so far as well. I just need to work on getting the face aimed where it needs to be. I'll see how next week goes. If I get a bit higher launch and draw flight, then I would be in better shape.

I like the MMT 60 so far as well. I just need to work on getting the face aimed where it needs to be. I'll see how next week goes. If I get a bit higher launch and draw flight, then I would be in better shape.

YMMV of course, but I had a bit of a tough time with the 9* Max LS. The Max launches perfectly for me with the 9* head, and frankly with the MMT 60 S, I keep it at 9*. Certain shafts I need to go +1 with the 9* Max. I have a 10.5* Max LS head shipping out from Callaway momentarily, and I am looking forward to giving that a run. These Epic heads are all so good--kudos to Callaway.

YMMV of course, but I had a bit of a tough time with the 9* Max LS. The Max launches perfectly for me with the 9* head, and frankly with the MMT 60 S, I keep it at 9*. Certain shafts I need to go +1 with the 9* Max. I have a 10.5* Max LS head shipping out from Callaway momentarily, and I am looking forward to giving that a run. These Epic heads are all so good--kudos to Callaway.
I played the Mavrik Max at 9 degrees and that was good. After demoing the Epic Max LS 9 degree head for me the launch was too low. Got the LS at 10.5 left it there and love it. And I've tried a couple different shafts the Atmos Tour Blue and Rogue White 130. Ive liked both but the MMT 60S for me just performs and feels better. Glad I went with the 10.5 head.

The Epic Max LS Tensei Orange combo is a bomber for sure. I tried the MMT 70 the other day for a while and it felt fine but was quite a bit higher in spin rate. I have not given up on it after one session but its going to have a tough time beating the Pro Orange.

Epic Speed, 11/14 fairways today. Really liking how much more forgiving this head is compared to the Mavrik SZ i was using. More distance on toe strikes compared to the SZ.
Hard to tell if there has been any distance gains on my home course with the winds today, should know more tomorrow on a calmer day.
Nice easy swings where giving me a nice 5-7 yard draw.

It would take A LOT to get me to move on from my Mavrik. But my first swing with the Epic Speed/Ventus Blue might have done it. High draw finishing at 295. And this hole always gives me problems. 410 yd par four that is tight and dense line of trees on both sides. Best tee shot by far on this one, leaving myself a AW in. Didn’t even feel like a flushed it either. Great start for the Epic Speed.

Last edited:

My coach had my hosel settings at -1 and D, but I changed it to the stated loft. I think it will be a nice improvement overall.

Today was the day. Finally had an amazing day with the driver. Played in a tournament today and I was absolutely obliterating the Max LS driver! It’s the best I’ve hit it yet. I had one bad drive which really wasn’t terrible, but the rest were absolutely straight. I haven’t seen that flight in a long time. I was hitting the ball well today with all the clubs through the bag. My biggest struggle was I was a little left with the irons. Still hitting greens or just off the green. Wish today had been a day where I was counting my own score but hey, I had an absolute blast with this driver today. When you hit center it’s loud and it sounds goooood!

My Custom Speed came with a black 2g weight. Any ideas where to find black replacement weights?
In black, I don't. The OG GBB Epic with the black ring fit and look pretty good though. And of course the flash and Mavrik ones fit too, but don't have black. Now that I have my custom set up how I really want it, I think I'm just going to black enamel a Mavrik weight.

I'll likely give that a try too.
They're basically the OG Epic ones with the rings, just black.

20210417_215547.jpg20210417_220333.jpg

Little center fill in about 10 minutes and that's good enough for me. Lots of options. It's nice having a wife that airbrushes her nails. :LOL:

I hit Max LS on the course today - It’s a really fun head. I like this series MUCH better than the Mavrik experience and starting to come around on the idea of it being superior to my beloved Epic Flash Sub Zero.

Hard to not enjoy the sound Too.

I think I’ve got plans for another round tomorrow morning, and I’ll take the regular Speed head out to draw some comparisons if the weather cooperates.

I hit Max LS on the course today - It’s a really fun head. I like this series MUCH better than the Mavrik experience and starting to come around on the idea of it being superior to my beloved Epic Flash Sub Zero.

I think I’ve got plans for another round tomorrow morning, and I’ll take the regular Speed head out to draw some comparisons if the weather cooperates.
Speed head is fun!!! Like to hear your thoughts on that one

The sound is definitely enjoyable with the LS head.

Just wondering if the max fairway is like the driver lightweight and easy and fun to hit?

Today was the absolute worst day off the tee with the Epic Max driver. 5 OB balls was rouuuuugh. I have been hitting it so well. League play in the morning so kept at it all day.

bright spot, after 3 months, my Epic Speed 4 wood arrived last night, and I hit that soooooo well today.

Okay. Spent some time on the range Saturday morning before league play to try and figure out what happened Friday night.

fixed my grip, and started to tee the ball lower.
Boom.
every drive I hit was just a baby cut, long, and importantly in play. If I missed the fairway, it wasn’t by much at all, and on my tree lined course, that made a world of difference. So much so, that I shot a career best round Saturday.

The Epic Speed 7 wd ... as it seems higher lofted woods are making a comeback; size seems just right for a higher lofted wood in the Speed line.

Riptide 71g at 41.75 inches and D3. I have an Accra 85g shaft that I can use, and cut it to 41.25; but will see how it plays in this stock shaft. Riptide is very smooth feeling. The Accra is tighter.

I will re-grip with a MCC +4 or extra wraps as I want to grip down to play it at 41.25 most of the time; when it is in the bag.

View attachment 9003571
View attachment 9003572

First time, range time with the Epic 7 wd today. After a few get acquainted swings, ball go high, far, slight draw on it. Haven't used a 7 wood in about 3 years. I hit my hybrids high, too. So this will be an interesting venture comparing hybrid v. 7 wood.

What's interesting is that yesterday, I spent time with speed sticks and swing speed radar and was trying to kill everything to build speed. Today, that exercise hurt my sequencing. So I had trouble at first hitting balls. Had to get my sequencing back. I did so by feeling my shirt sleeve at the top and leaving it there until the momentum of the swing pulled it off - that's when I know my lower body has done its thing.

It is truly startling how different of a golfer I can be say to day. While I did put the MMT in the club today and seemed to hit it just fine on the range, it only carried to the course for a hole or two. To be fair, I switched back to the Tensei after about 6 holes trying to recapture some of the driving magic from yesterday and it wasn’t there with that one either. Wasn’t all bad, but the swing was just not as free (and felt like I was forcing it which I’m sure was more over the top).

Definitely glad I saw yesterday though as I know that those drives are in there for sure. Just need to figure out how to replicate them.

Back