Is there a style/class of iron you hit best?

i played some of my best golf with srixon zx5. i hit an above average number of greens with my mavrik pro from the grandaddy. so empirically those irons would seem to be the best profile for me. and yet as the scores get a little better, i always move on to a slimmer profile.

I know that forgiveness helps me a lot, but offset does not. I do not like a lot of offset because it messes with my brain to look at it.

Not really. I have never even tried a true blade iron so I have no idea if I could hit them.
I am drawn to the cavity back players irons for the most part I guess.

Perimeter weighted forged irons. Hogan Edge and now Mizuno T-Zoid Comp EZ irons. When Hogan first came out with the Edge irons in the late 80's I thought "what a great concept". Forged irons with perimeter weighting. Bought a set and played/loved them for 10 years. Been searching for that feel & performance since and recently bought a set of Mizuno T-Zoid Comp EZ irons with 122 gram TT Dynalite Gold w Sensicore R300 steel shafts. I thought the heavy shafts would not work with my 76 year old swing. I was/am very pleased that they don't adversely effect the performance, just make a smooth, slow take away and let it happen. Don't try to make it happen.

Waiting now for FedEx to deliver my new Wilson D7 Forged irons, 5 thru PW, with KBS Tour 90 (95 gram) steel shafts. :twist: :love: (y)

I am not sure most of us have the access to play multiple rounds with different style irons. When I got fitted I focused on players cavity irons and didn't look at smaller things. I only really have one set of irons so I don't know if I would play better with something smaller.

I'm stumped. When I played a lot, meaning 5-G times a month, pre hip replacement, pre other surgeries, before I ballooned up into the Michelin man,i played some great golf with RAC coin forged blades, and yes, that was long ago.

Many sets later, up to about 3 years ago, I played the Callaway apex cf16s. Thought they were it. Then took the game up again after as long layoff, weight loss, new hip, carpal tunnel realease in both hands but now arthritis. And I ordered gen 2 pxg 0311xf, great price. Today, their round with these clubs best golf in 6-7 years. So for me, I'd assume the HMBs for our trip to myrtle. They most closely mimic the hollow head concept?

I assumed we only had choices on the new MP20 (MP22?), are you suggesting otherwise, I'd end up Morgan cupping my choice constantly changing, second guessing, etc 😆🙄

Game improvement... blades and I don't get along well... give me forgiveness anyday. And a cavity back.:ROFLMAO:

Players cavity for sure. That said, I LOVE V-SOLE.

GI irons.
I played with player cavity back Bridgestone J36 and J38 irons. Took a chance and bought some cast J15s and now will never go back.
My game definitely needs the forgiveness, regardless of how the club actually looks.

Forgiving ones :D

It's definitely not full blades. I tried a set last fall and the results were shocking!

For me, it's about confidence and what looks right to my eye. I really like the shape of a players cavity back like the MP-57 or MP-18 SC.

Title says it. I'm curious as I'm one that again today saw that I hit players irons best, I just do, anyone else have a style or class of iron they hit best?
Blades. I love an iron that is compact, clean, has no offset and has a very thin topline. I struggled trying to play irons that the golf industry says I should be playing for years, until I finally just started playing what I like, what feels good and what speaks to me; which is blades.
Its kind of funny really because a 15 handicap shouldnt be able to play blades, if you ask the, "experts" but I absolutely knock the cover off the ball with them and have pinpoint distance control.

Generally a players type iron with Minimal offset. I do much prefer irons with slightly longer blade lengths and a bit more than average bounce but with the soles not getting too thick.

Generally a players type iron with Minimal offset. I do much prefer irons with slightly longer blade lengths and a bit more than average bounce but with the soles not getting too thick.
It seems like you are describing Cobra Tour MIMs or MP20 MMCs.

It seems like you are describing Cobra Tour MIMs or MP20 MMCs.
MMC are nice! I have them in 4 and 5 iron not sure how much more forgiving they are then the blade, but they sure have a perfect flight when hit right.

I am so confused right now that I am not sure. I thought it was a player cavity that had a little juice in it, so to speak, but I played pretty solid with a set of game improvement irons over the weekend. I honestly thing there is give and take with anything and other than a huge, super game improvement iron with a lot of offset, I could probably score about the same with any profile, as long as the shaft suits me.

I've played SGI or GI irons for most of my golfing "career". The irons I played for the last 10 years were SGI (Ping K15), moved to a GI set last year (Callaway Mavrik standard), and am pretty satisfied with how I'm hitting them right now. I've considered moving to a player's distance iron (I'm looking at you, Apex 21) and may eventually, but I haven't messed around with them enough to see if the investment would be worth the return.

I am so confused right now that I am not sure. I thought it was a player cavity that had a little juice in it, so to speak, but I played pretty solid with a set of game improvement irons over the weekend. I honestly thing there is give and take with anything and other than a huge, super game improvement iron with a lot of offset, I could probably score about the same with any profile, as long as the shaft suits me.
Does it have to be one or the other? Nothing wrong with multiple sets with the same shafts, for different days. ;)

Does it have to be one or the other? Nothing wrong with multiple sets with the same shafts, for different days. ;)
You obviously have not looked in my garage.

It has to have forgiveness, it could look like a blade, cavity back or iron-wood/hybrid, but as long as it gives me some decent results off bad hits I'm in.

My eye like the players distance irons the best, although my swing and hdcp. says otherwise. I'm just not a fan of the thick top-lines and it's hard to find that in a game improvement iron.

Back