Going Through a Putter Fitting at Club Champion

This has me very intrigued. I have always wanted to do a putter fitting. Since you went to the OKC one (I would go to) I may have to pull the trigger. $100 doesn't seem unreasonable. Did they talk at all about grips that may affect putting?

Correct, but depending on the turf the ball is resting on, you may need different "launch" conditions to get the ball up and rolling. For slow, hairy greens, I'd imagine you'd want more loft on your putter to get the ball up a bit more. Perhaps bent grass vs. burmuda....etc., etc..

I'm not sure I agree with that, other than some huge extremes. No more so than someone unfit needing to hit it harder or softer based on conditions.

As I also mentioned, it’s been rolled on three different surfaces already, and more detail on that is it has been at three different speeds and two different grass types.
Awesome. I'm guilty of quickly reading and doing something for work there. Awesome that it is translating for you across conditions.

Great write up @Jman! My @Club Champion was one of the best things i have done. I am rolling the ball so much better with the putter they bent for me. I cannot wait for my new putter to arrive. The small fee they charge is worth knowing the details if you are struggling on the greens.

I'm not sure I agree with that, other than some huge extremes. No more so than someone unfit needing to hit it harder or softer based on conditions.

Not that us normal hoomans need to be concerned with this but here is the article I referenced for XS.

"*His loft varies week to week depending on grass/green conditions. He works on Quintic with his putting coach Derek Uyeda to determine what loft is necessary each week "

Not that us normal hoomans need to be concerned with this but here is the article I referenced for XS.

"*His loft varies week to week depending on grass/green conditions. He works on Quintic with his putting coach Derek Uyeda to determine what loft is necessary each week "

I didn't doubt he did. Just as there are 100s of professionals that don't. I still am unsure how that changes from fit vs unfit for golfers.

Great write up. As usual you give us great insight to the process and return on investment. This fitting would help me I’m sure. Maybe they can tell me the reason I putt better with a little forward shaft lean delofting putter face.

I didn't doubt he did. Just as there are 100s of professionals that don't. I still am unsure how that changes from fit vs unfit for golfers.

I would just lastly say that hundreds of golfers also likely don't have a Quintic LM with them to test and measure like XS apparently is. If they don't measure it, they won't know. Perhaps this is one small advantage he has over them.

I would be very interested in doing this type of fitting just to see how much of a difference it could make in my putting.

I had a very similar experience with my Club Champion putter fitting, which I have written about in other threads. The SAM PuttLab gives so much information, but as @Jman says, the fitter, with his observations and knowledge, are what makes the whole thing work. SAM says I should be in a very similar putter than what @Jman was fit to, mallet, moderate toe-hang, decrease loft (I too increase loft at impact), and flatten the lie. My gamer that I took to the fitting was a face-balanced putter though, and the fitter agreed that I rolled it as good or better than any of the toe-hang models I tried at the fitting. His final recommendation was to stay with my gamer, with the adjustments made to the loft and lie, which I did. I later bought my MIzuno M-Craft VI from Club Champion, another face-balanced mallet, and they adjusted it to my loft and lie specs before I picked it up.

I would recommend a Club Champion putter fitting to anyone that wants to really know more about their personal putting stroke, it is a very fun and educational experience.

Not on SAM, but on the course the improvements have been pretty eye opening for me. The roll now is exponentially quicker and tighter, and it’s also lead to some adjustment as my pace is back. In the article I mentioned I felt like I had to put more on putts to get them to the hole, the loft adjustment has more than rectified that.

Experienced similar results when I went through the SAM Puttlabs assessment. I was pretty close to where I should be with just eyeballing it and trying different putter styles but it took way to long considering I could have cut right to the chase after 30min and gotten the same results. The only adjustment we made was loft on the head to better match my swing path and angles. The result was a ball on greens that noticieably rolled sooner and truer and I got rid of a lot of initial hops I was getting which killed my ability to control distance.

I still think about doing this even though I'm currently putting pretty well with the Odyssey ten

I still think about doing this even though I'm currently putting pretty well with the Odyssey ten

It won't make you putt worse. :p

I think I need to get into CC for a putter fitting for a Ten2BTT!

Excellent write up! Something I should probably do as well, just to at least confirm what I already have been told. At least, the loft and lie is something I’d really like to get dailed in.

If I go do it and get fit for a LAB putter I'm blaming you!!!
Hahaha, you’d make everything like I did :LOL:

That said, if it doesn’t look good to your eye they won’t push it. That’s the beauty of CC.

I did think it was hilarious that the putter I brought in was pretty much perfect for me though haha

Excellent write up! Something I should probably do as well, just to at least confirm what I already have been told. At least, the loft and lie is something I’d really like to get dailed in.
It pretty much confirmed with data what the Odyssey guys told me at Hammock Beach, at least as far as what shape putter I needed for my putting stroke. I think we would've had data similar to what the SAM spits out had Sean's and Luke's fancy dancer gizmo been working that day.

It pretty much confirmed with data what the Odyssey guys told me at Hammock Beach, at least as far as what shape putter I needed for my putting stroke. I think we would've had data similar to what the SAM spits out had Sean's and Luke's fancy dancer gizmo been working that day.

Yep. I think I’m set on headshape and shaft type. But the lie/loft would be a nice addition to know.

Glad you all are enjoying this, was fun to tease last week with @Canadan on his Off Course show

Glad you all are enjoying this, was fun to tease last week with @Canadan on his Off Course show

Always a fascinated how easily people drop money on a fitting for a club to get 10-20 more yards when they have a ton of room to miss left and right but won't spend the money on dialing in the club you use 2-3 times as many times and where a 1" miss on a regular basis can cost you 5-10 strokes a round.

The price is right for this fitting. It gives so much information that is crucial to purchasing a putter that is right for you. It is perfect for those that buy putters sight unseen to get them spec'ed out for you. For example I have looked at possibly buying a Swag putter but have had one in hand. I now know I can send a note and ask about face balance and swing balance to make sure it would be a good fit rather than risking the 5 months of mortgage payments to get one. :ROFLMAO:

Always a fascinated how easily people drop money on a fitting for a club to get 10-20 more yards when they have a ton of room to miss left and right but won't spend the money on dialing in the club you use 2-3 times as many times and where a 1" miss on a regular basis can cost you 5-10 strokes a round.

Bingo. That's how I ended up at a putter fitting instead of another driver fitting or one for OLs.

Back