Auto Insurance Driving Monitoring

tommyhaka

Reaction score
Handicap
I was wanting to get input/opinions on driving monitoring methods that insurance companies offer for their clients to receive discounts. I listed a couple programs below, and briefly some aspects of each. I would like your thoughts on :
Do you use any of these programs? Why or why not?
How they work for you?
Do you think they are well set up?
Do you save money?
Anything else you might want to add.
Thanks!!!

ALLSTATE DRIVEWISE
Drivewise tracks your driving habits via a mobile app or a small device installed in your car and then sends the data to Allstate.
The drivewise device is plugged into the vehicle's onboard diagnostic port (OBD2 port), and monitors many aspects of your driving habits: "We'll reward you just for getting started and then keep rewarding you every six months for safe speeds, safe stops, safe driving hours and low mileage."

STATE FARM DRIVESAFE
Here’s how it works
The Drive Safe & Save app2 connects with the Bluetooth beacon we’ll send you after enrollment. The beacon, which is mounted in your car collects driving data and sends it to State Farm for evaluation. Keep your Bluetooth and location services activated on your smartphone to automatically record trips. What type of driving feedback do you get?

Quick acceleration
Hard braking
Fast cornering
Speeding
Distracted driving

Don't currently have it and would pass, myself. Feels like we have enough people looking over our collective shoulders already.... I'm not paying someone do it. (even if they do dangle some initial savings in front of me) Never fear, soon enough we'll all be monitored full time in just about every aspect of life.... I'll just ride it out until then.

FYI Drivewise on Allstate is not a device that plugs into your car. Its an app on your smartphone and it tracks basically everything. Like speeds, hard braking, how many times your pick up your phone etc. If the discount is good enough, I say why not.

Not even a chance I'm using anything like that.

I work for American Family Insurance and our program monitors hard breaks, acceleration, high speed, driving time, time of day and low speed for the calculations. It also monitors distracted driving, but doesn't include it in the monitoring.

I would not consider myself that great of a driver and I get 15% when the range is 2-20%. It also comes with Rental Reimbursement and Emergency side service.

I totally get that people don't want to do it for privacy concerns but haven't we already opened that can of worms by having a cell phone?

FYI Drivewise on Allstate is not a device that plugs into your car. Its an app on your smartphone and it tracks basically everything. Like speeds, hard braking, how many times your pick up your phone etc. If the discount is good enough, I say why not.

that's where I am. If the discount is good enough, I'd consider it.

Just signed up for State Farm and am going to try their Drive Safe thing. Will have it mounted in my car within the next week or two, so I am also curious on feedback.

I work for State Farm and I have the Drive Safe and Save on my Jeep. I started it at the renewal back in July of last year. I put in the updated odometer sometime around the end of November or first of December so that the annual mileage could be calculated. I started off saving just under $30 every 6 months. With the updated mileage when I renewed in January I was saving just under $83 every 6 months based on a calculated 7700 miles per year.

While the driving characteristics are used a little to determine whether you are low, average, or high risk, the mileage is the biggest factor.

I know a lot of people always bring up the tracking but Apple, Google, etc are already getting that info. You can be tracked each time your cell phone pings a new tower. We are actively tracking wear your at. Just using a little of the data that big brother is already getting to see how you drive to try and save you some money.

Just signed up for State Farm and am going to try their Drive Safe thing. Will have it mounted in my car within the next week or two, so I am also curious on feedback.
You can just stick the beacon in the console or glove compartment. I just have it sitting in a little flat spot in front of the shifter in my Jeep.

Well, when I had it 6 months ago I plugged an electronic device into the diagnostic port of my car that communicated with Allstate. I think an individual can use this method, OR, a phone/bluetooth/app method.

I forgot to add that you can go on the App and it will show what your 2 week score is and you can click on each trip going back a certain point to see what you are dinged for. I get dinged for phone usage because I listen to THP Radio with @Canadan. It's worth the few dollars I may get dinged.:ROFLMAO:

Put me in the minority, but I don't believe auto insurance companies offer any substantial, long term discounts. I have too many friends who have jumped on the "save $400-$700 yearly train" only to see their rates go up to what they were before they switched providers.

Do I want someone, or something monitoring my driving habits? Nope. My dmv driving record speaks for itself.

I work for State Farm and I have the Drive Safe and Save on my Jeep. I started it at the renewal back in July of last year. I put in the updated odometer sometime around the end of November or first of December so that the annual mileage could be calculated. I started off saving just under $30 every 6 months. With the updated mileage when I renewed in January I was saving just under $83 every 6 months based on a calculated 7700 miles per year.

While the driving characteristics are used a little to determine whether you are low, average, or high risk, the mileage is the biggest factor.

I know a lot of people always bring up the tracking but Apple, Google, etc are already getting that info. You can be tracked each time your cell phone pings a new tower. We are actively tracking wear your at. Just using a little of the data that big brother is already getting to see how you drive to try and save you some money.
I have SF Drive Safe and I watch my % rating on the app on my phone regularly. Some of the monitoring seems a bit over the top, like the braking monitoring. I stop for a red light and get 'rung up' for it. Driving on a 45mph road and the light turns yellow, you have to apply the brakes to stop, or you could burn through the light (not safe). So I stop, which is the safer thing to do, and get 'rung up' for it.

Well, when I had it 6 months ago I plugged an electronic device into the diagnostic port of my car that communicated with Allstate. I think an individual can use this method, OR, a phone/bluetooth/app method.
I wasn't trying to be rude just letting you know its an app thats all. I have it and have used it on my phone for well over a year now thats all. Google and Apple are already tracking me so why not Allstate too. Insurance premiums are already ridiculous here in Michigan so I'll take any discount I can get

I wasn't trying to be rude just letting you know its an app thats all. I have it and have used it on my phone for well over a year now thats all. Google and Apple are already tracking me so why not Allstate too. Insurance premiums are already ridiculous here in Michigan so I'll take any discount I can get
No problem, it difficult to understand people's intent, thank you!
Here is the device you plug into the OBD2 in your car.
Screenshot (60).png

I have no interest in another monitoring program in my life!

I’ve never used the drive wise option off my phone, I’ve just opted to go with my regular rate. I have a company vehicle as well and don’t want to have to pay more for driving a lot more miles. Last thing I need is more data collected and sold off of me.

Put me in the minority, but I don't believe auto insurance companies offer any substantial, long term discounts. I have too many friends who have jumped on the "save $400-$700 yearly train" only to see their rates go up to what they were before they switched providers.

Do I want someone, or something monitoring my driving habits? Nope. My dmv driving record speaks for itself.
There are a few companies that don't initially do underwriting when you first sign up with them. When the policy renews though it will go through underwriting and could cause it to increase then.

I’ve never used the drive wise option off my phone, I’ve just opted to go with my regular rate. I have a company vehicle as well and don’t want to have to pay more for driving a lot more miles. Last thing I need is more data collected and sold off of me.
There have already been several similar posts, each relating how they don't want to be tracked. I am sort of the same way, but I have given in to the idea that I am already being monitored in more ways than I like, and probably know. What happened to the age of innocence?

Yeah if you drive a lot of miles on a vehicle then it's not really worth it. If you are low mileage like 5,000 or less then it can be worth it.

I used one a few years ago and had no issue with it. If I could put it on just my vehicle and get a discount I would but I definitely don't want my wife or stepdaughter with this thing :LOL:

Yeah if you drive a lot of miles on a vehicle then it's not really worth it. If you are low mileage like 5,000 or less then it can be worth it.
Good to know I’d probably surpass that in a few months.

My SF agent told me if I stay under 7500 miles I will really get a discount. That is going to be close to my annual mileage, so we will see. I might end up ditching the program, and that is why I am seeking input from others.

Unfortunately so does mine. They wouldn’t raise my rates if they found out I’m a really sh***y driver?

My SF agent told me if I stay under 7500 miles I will really get a discount. That is going to be close to my annual mileage, so we will see. I might end up ditching the program, and that is why I am seeking input from others.
Yeah I'm around 7700 miles per year and saving about $165 per year. Not a ton but it a couple rounds or 3 dozen golf balls for only having to enter in my mileage a couple times a year. If anyone cares about tracking my driving to and from work and to the golf course then I'm sorry for the person that has to keep up with my boring life.:ROFLMAO:

Back