Do Dress Codes Bother You?

When making a Tee time, simply ask if there's a dress code. If you don't agree with it, simply patronize another course. Some of the most world class players wore collarless shirts. Not hard to keep an extra shirt in the trunk of the car though in case of an emergency.

I would like to thank the staff who looked the other way the first couple of times I played golf, I was already terrified, had they bitched at me about how I was dressed it’s likely I would have taken up the game.

Last edited:
The more I think about it, I'm getting behind this "upstanding individuals" thing. Because if that was the case, we wouldn't have spent most of our nearly five-hour round today stuck behind two foursomes of White Claw drinking, Insta-ho'ing bruhs who were playing two tees further back than they should have been, flogging the carts like rental cars, not fixing divots or ball marks, and joined up as an eightsome for the last two holes.

They sure were dressed nice, though. :ROFLMAO:
Yeah, but were they wearing their hats backwards then using their hands to shade their eyes to watch their 350 yards drives?

Sorry... :eek:fftopic:

It all circles back to the same question: Why is asking people to dress in a respectable manner such an unreasonable thing?

I don't think it's unreasonable to want options. I don't want to play at an exclusive club any more than members of those clubs want to play alongside riff-raff like me. Fortunately, we don't have to.

It seems like there are a few on both sides of this debate who feel it should be one way or the other - across the board, instead of the variety of options we now enjoy.

Been playing golf for almost 50 years and never had an issue with dress codes. Guess I buy into the whole premise of this being a gentlemen's/woman's game and was raised to abide by the rules and etiquette of the sport. If you don't like dress codes imposed by courses or clubs you can always go somewhere else.

I don't think it's unreasonable to want options. I don't want to play at an exclusive club any more than members of those clubs want to play alongside riff-raff like me. Fortunately, we don't have to.

It seems like there are a few on both sides of this debate who feel it should be one way or the other - across the board, instead of the variety of options we now enjoy.
I don't see the point in taking the hard stance... Should someone be required to wear a collared shirt to play mini golf? :ROFLMAO:

For me, I love that there are options for people. We've heard about ultra exclusive clubs where jeans are okay, and public courses where ties are expected indoors. They are both playing to a certain kind of crowd and will surely bother people. I like the middle of the road style, where you don't have to take your hat off inside the clubhouse, but you are expected to avoid denim and wear collared shirt.

...and my course requires a hat to be worn forward, not backward - which I don't entirely agree with - but I'm happy they have a decent dress code so I tolerate it

I dress in a golf shirt, shorts (most of the time nylon "sport" ones), and occasionally nylon trail pants. Never had a person say a word to me. Transparency part: I've never played a private course or super-exclusive track. Mainly low to higher-end public courses.

...and Dan is still ducking me.

I guess my issue is with what's considered golf attire. It's a sport/recreational activity, and people should be able to dress like it, with what's generally considered athletic attire.

I almost always wear a golf shirt and shorts when I play. But, for example: I'd rather be able to go with a thin, untucked Under Armour heat gear quarter-zip. I sunburn very easily and I love that they cover my arms. They're incredibly lightweight and breathable, especially untucked without a golf shirt underneath them. And you can't seriously tell me that doesn't look better than those white sun sleeves you'll sometimes see people wearing with their short-sleeved golf shirts.

Another example is joggers. I cannot for the life of me understand why Lululemon ABC pants would be acceptable at every golf course in the world, but Lululemon ABC joggers would be a problem. Third example: Those Adidas golf hoodies look great for a cold day. They're athletic material, and will keep you warm while still being breathable enough. They wouldn't be out of place on somebody jogging, or hiking, or playing tennis, or whatever, on a day when it's like 45* F out. What's wrong with them on the golf course?

On the other hand ... some discussion in this thread has focused on stuff like jeans, jorts, that kind of thing. That's not really athletic attire, and I can't understand why anyone would want to wear that sort of stuff on a golf course -- like what functional purpose it would serve. Then again, I'm walking every round, and if I was riding a cart where I didn't really need to worry about getting sweaty, lugging my clubs 250 yards or whatever to my tee shot, etc., I'd probably find them much less obtrusive. And if you're trying to fit in a quick 9 after work, I get it, you probably want to wear what you've got on or stashed in the car/your gym bag/whatever you have with you.

Summed up, I guess I'd say this: I don't really have an issue with a dress code, but I'd prefer dress codes (whether it's a an expensive private club, a cheap muni or anything else) lean into the idea of practicality and allow a pretty wide berth for athletic attire.

I don't personally care what anyone else is wearing on the golf course, as long as it's not, like, something preposterous. What others wear doesn't affect me or my enjoyment of golf whatsoever, and I'd prefer that courses make everyone feel welcome, whether it's a kid who's more comfortable in athletic attire or a dude stopping in after work for a quick 9 while still wearing jeans or a beginner who didn't really know what to wear to the golf course and already has a million things to be self-conscious about without somebody dogging them about what they're wearing, or whatever.

Does a dress code bother me? No. Your house, your rules.

Do I find them useful or necessary? Well, the answer as usual is "it depends."

We could find extremes that would anger both the Yes We Should Have a Dress Code crowd and the Nah Those Are Lame crowd.

The disagreement revolves around what is "reasonable attire" for the activity.

If the dress code was "Tuxedos only!" that'd be too much, and if we were allowed to play naked, that'd be too far the other way.

The debate is all about finding where the middle is...

I hate dress codes
E69DD455-959E-46EC-B615-CDF1213A4CD6.jpeg

I will say this, all those guys look respectful and good!!! I would never have a problem with that, nor would I expect anybody else.

Just to clarify, I am one of those guys LOL

OP just wants to cause a stir. If you don't like the dress code, don't play there. Pretty simple solution.
They're not trying to exclude you. They're asking you to please follow their rules.
OP has a chip on his shoulder, it seems.

Dress codes are dated and biased. Aim is to identify and project an image of what they view as social class. Old white guys gonna do old white guy stuff.
That's a racist assumption...

I'm a child of the 60's. I rebelled against dress code in all forms. Fought them in high school, fought them for 8 years in the military, even fought them in business where I had to wear a full suit for many years until Casual Fridays became "business casual". Caught grief from every authority figrue I've ever had over the length of my hair. I finally realized that there were better things to fight about. Now, if a course requires a collared shirt and non-jean pants, why fight it? I stocked up on Greg Norman polos and shorts from Costco (probably less than $15 to dress in "Golf attire"). They are comfortable on the course, I can wear them at Munis, sem-private, private and don't worry about upsetting someone's sensitivities. Why get upset about dress codes when you can get upset taking too many strokes chasing a white ball over a nice fairway?

OP just wants to cause a stir. If you don't like the dress code, don't play there. Pretty simple solution.
They're not trying to exclude you. They're asking you to please follow their rules.
OP has a chip on his shoulder, it seems.
Wait what?

I'm the OP and I love dress codes.

The policy at my club states:
"It is expected that members will choose to dress in a fashion befitting the surroundings and atmosphere provided the setting of a private country club. It is also expected that the members will advise their guests of our dress requirements. Appropriate attire is defined as golf, or more formal attire, with the exception
that nice jeans are acceptable in the club house, but not on the golf course."

It's pretty straight forward...no backwards hats, no t-shirts, no cut-offs, shirts must be tucked in...
I support it

I'm all for options. If a course wants to allow jeans and tank tops, more power to them. If a course requires dress slacks, wingtip golf shoes and a tucked in polo, cool for them. We all have the option to choose to play or not play any course - but if you want to play there, play by their rules and don't complain about it.

I don't think either extreme holds the moral high ground in this debate, and I don't think a universal dress code (or complete lack thereof) should be imposed on all golf courses regardless of how one wants to try to justify it.

Wait what?

I'm the OP and I love dress codes.
Sorry, got ya mixed up with another poster, KingsKracken. Apologies sir!

Last edited:
1. Would never play a course that requires pants
2. Would never join a course that prohibits golf attire in the clubhouse (absurd to have to change to have a parting beer).
3. Would always abide by the rules anywhere I do end up going because you know them going in
4. Most importantly... it's one thing for an establishment to have and enforce a dress code, that is their prerogative. But whether it is golf or the main dining room on a cruise ship, it is utterly amusing how obsessed some are with what others are wearing, as if it somehow impacts them. Letting how others dress have even a little bit of impact says much more about the "offended" rather than the "offender".

Most importantly... it's one thing for an establishment to have and enforce a dress code, that is their prerogative. But whether it is golf or the main dining room on a cruise ship, it is utterly amusing how obsessed some are with what others are wearing, as if it somehow impacts them. Letting how others dress have even a little bit of impact says much more about the "offended" rather than the "offender".
Amusing indeed, also utterly different than any experience I’ve ever had. I don’t ever recall what anyone ever wore whether on a course or in a club house. I don’t recall anything remotely social about golf, me and a couple of buds wondering around 18 with another group a couple of hundred yards ahead or behind isn’t social, half dozen dudes at the bar who never look up isn’t social, ever now and then there will be someone in line and the shop, I don’t recall striking up a conversation with anyone much less looking at them. I can understand how some people might enjoy socializing I just don’t see it where I’m playing.

Last edited:
Interesting discussion on this topic on Michael Breed’s show on Sirius XM, regarding private club members who were asked to leave the range for dress code violation.

I am fully in support of dress code in golf and most places in general. It is no longer a matter of casual dress, which can be quite nice and appropriate. People walk around in public looking like slobs - slippers, pajamas filthy torn clothes. If that is the impression you want the world to have, then so be it.

If the bar of a collared shirt tucked into your shorts is too much to bear to play golf, than you’ve picked the wrong sport.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Most importantly... it's one thing for an establishment to have and enforce a dress code, that is their prerogative. But whether it is golf or the main dining room on a cruise ship, it is utterly amusing how obsessed some are with what others are wearing, as if it somehow impacts them. Letting how others dress have even a little bit of impact says much more about the "offended" rather than the "offender".
I think obsessed is a strong word, but I have no issues with any paying member of a club having concerns about the collective apparel choices when they go to the club. People have paid their money to that specific location with the expectation that they get the experience the course lays out for them, and when others don't abide by those conditions, I can absolutely accept that it would bother them.

I'll give you a simple example of this.. My course has in their dress code the expectation that hats are to be worn forward. I think it's a bit overkill, however as a 20 year member of the club, I've always respected the rule, even though I enjoy flipping my hat backwards at times. If I see someone not respecting that aspect of our dress code, I'll certainly make a comment about it to the group with a laugh, but probably not to staff. Am I being obsessed? Nah. Am I observing someone who isn't doing what they should be doing? Definitely.

My course doesn't have a dress code. As a result, we get those occasional dudes who are out there in hiking boots, jorts, and no shirt. But being a small rural course, we're just glad they are there having fun.

~Rock

Back