Callaway Epic Speed and Epic Max Drivers and Fairway Woods

When I get through my thick skull that my driver is fit for me, and to just swing the club, instead of trying to steer the ball, the MAX LS flat out performs. I missed a few yesterday, but they were still in play. The ones I caught right were bombs. And the sound of this driver is so good. A nice solid thwack.

i moved from the EF Subzero to the Max LS and although I have only played 2 rounds I have had no difficulty with the transition. Head size is very different but biggest difference is my driver has the clean crown option so that has been taking a bit of an adjustment.
Curious if you tried the Epic Speed? I went from the EF Sub Zero to the Speed and got better spin and distance in the Speed compared to the Max LS.... In fact, the Speed is actually the lowest spinning head in the new Epic line...

First range session with the 4W was a little underwhelming but I've never hit FWs very good off of mats. Still hopeful that this one will give me the a little more playability off the deck to challenge some longer par 5s in two.

Curious if you tried the Epic Speed? I went from the EF Sub Zero to the Speed and got better spin and distance in the Speed compared to the Max LS.... In fact, the Speed is actually the lowest spinning head in the new Epic line...

No, I wasn’t able to test either because we were either locked down or there was no stock available at local Golftown. I went with my instinct and my historical testing as well as other reviews. I am very pleased so far even after only a couple of rounds with new head as well as a new shaft.

Unfortunately unless something changes it will be at least another month before we will be out of this new lockdown so all golf/driving ranges are closed. Hard to believe that we are the only province/state in North America where you cannot play golf 😩.

Actually, Callaway’s website lists the Max LS as the lowest spinning head of the three new releases, Speed, Max and Max LS. I have no doubt that the Speed may be the lowest spin for certain players, depending on how they deliver the head to the ball. However, Callaway promotes the Max LS as the lowest spinning, although none of them is as low spinning as the prior Sub Zero heads.

7E46CAC0-81C0-4207-AE52-AF96C512C976.png

Standing to far away from the ball? Reaching to much? Just something to check.
I’m trying to figure it out but I’m definitely not standing too far away so I’d have no reason to reach. It’s confusing me. Once the range isn’t on mats, I plan on figuring it out

Actually, Callaway’s website lists the Max LS as the lowest spinning head of the three new releases, Speed, Max and Max LS. I have no doubt that the Speed may be the lowest spin for certain players, depending on how they deliver the head to the ball. However, Callaway promotes the Max LS as the lowest spinning, although none of them is as low spinning as the prior Sub Zero heads.

View attachment 9004216

I know what the website says - after talking to my fitter he said that he knows what it touts, but it is incorrect.... 1000% agreed they spin more than the prior SZ line - I brought my former EFSZ for comparison and the speed did spin slightly more and the Max LS spun more than the speed... at least for me.

View attachment 9004216
I have not hit the Speed but i have the Max LS and have been playing it at my home course so it is easy for me to see the difference and results. I know from on the course results that the Max LS has dropped my spin from what i was getting from my prior driver the Mavrik Max ( based on not getting my normal plug this time of year on some drives or the ball hitting the soft fairway and actually spinning back as well as getting some roll i never got before in these conditions)and it has really helped my game and is exactly what i needed. The chart lists the Max LS as the most forgiving of the three new releases. I have not hit the Speed or the Standard Max so i dont know other than what Callaway says about spin the difference but i know that at least for me the Max LS is way more forgiving than the Mavrik Max , longer and all around just a great driver for me . I know that the B21 got rave reviews for being low spin and forgiving i think i recall @Jman calling it a Unicorn. I think Callaway worked that magic into the Max LS and for the golfer looking for low spin and forgiveness in a driver while taking out the left side miss ( which happened to me sometimes when i went after it ) this driver is great.

I have not hit the Speed but i have the Max LS and have been playing it at my home course so it is easy for me to see the difference and results. I know from on the course results that the Max LS has dropped my spin from what i was getting from my prior driver the Mavrik Max ( based on not getting my normal plug this time of year on some drives or the ball hitting the soft fairway and actually spinning back as well as getting some roll i never got before in these conditions)and it has really helped my game and is exactly what i needed. The chart lists the Max LS as the most forgiving of the three new releases. I have not hit the Speed or the Standard Max so i dont know other than what Callaway says about spin the difference but i know that at least for me the Max LS is way more forgiving than the Mavrik Max , longer and all around just a great driver for me . I know that the B21 got rave reviews for being low spin and forgiving i think i recall @Jman calling it a Unicorn. I think Callaway worked that magic into the Max LS and for the golfer looking for low spin and forgiveness in a driver while taking out the left side miss ( which happened to me sometimes when i went after it ) this driver is great.
I have hit both the Speed & Max LS and I agree with all of this...

Different golfers will have different results, for example I think @Canadan likes the Speed better than the Max LS.

I have hit both the Speed & Max LS and I agree with all of this...

Different golfers will have different results, for example I think @Canadan likes the Speed better than the Max LS.
Oh way better.

I’d be hesitant to listen to guys here (not just you) making statements about the LS or any other driver being the most forgiving Than other models without seeing the data.
Statements like these don’t help anyone, in fact they only confuse the less informed. Better not to say anything then to say your experience disproves what the actual facts are.
@Tenputt posted the Callaway chart, which clearly says the Epic Max is the most forgiving of the current release. Call me crazy, but I’ll go with the OEM over the opinion of guys on a message board, on which model THEY designed to be most forgiving.
How they compare them to Maverick models I don’t know, but, like any other purchase, I’d go by first the OEM guidelines, then my own testing.

Last edited:
I’d be hesitant to listen to guys here (not just you) making statements about the LS or any other driver being the most forgiving Than other models without seeing the data.
Statements like these don’t help anyone, in fact they only confuse the less informed. Better not to say anything then to say your experience disproves what the actual facts are.
@Tenputt posted the Callaway chart, which clearly says the Epic Max is the most forgiving Of the current release. Call me crazy, but I’ll go with the OEM over the opinion of guys on a message board, on which model THEY designed to be most forgiving.
How they compare them to Maverick models I don’t know, but, like any other purchase, I’d go by first the OEM guidelines, then my own testing.

GolfTec measures the MOI of drivers and they have the Epic Max at 5200 and the Epic Max LS at 5070. So pretty close but the Max is a little more forgiving. This is only the horizontal MOI so take that into account.

GolfTec measures the MOI of drivers and they have the Epic Max at 5200 and the Epic Max LS at 5070. So pretty close but the Max is a little more forgiving. This is only the horizontal MOI so take that into account.
Yes, I’ve seen those numbers, and I’ve also spoken to my local Callaway rep, someone else at Callaway.com and two local fitters.
Both by design and in testing the Max has proven to be the more forgiving driver,
I totally get that a better player might like the way a different version performs for him, but every time Callaway comes out with a new driver line we’re told here “how forgiving” it is, when for most players it’s really not.
That’s not helping anyone, and I’m sure has hurt a lot of people in their wallet who bought into it.

Yes, I’ve seen those numbers, and I’ve also spoken to my local Callaway rep, someone else at Callaway.com and two local fitters.
Both by design and in testing the Max has proven to be the more forgiving driver,
I totally get that a better player might like the way a different version performs for him, but every time Callaway comes out with a new driver line we’re told here “how forgiving” it is, when for most players it’s really not.
That’s not helping anyone, and I’m sure has hurt a lot of people in their wallet who bought into it.
I agree with you. I just was showing some data that the Max was in fact more forgiving. The Max LS is pretty close to the Max though relative to other brands. It seems that other manufacturers Max versions are 400-500 higher MOI than their non-max versions. Also, there could be an even larger difference in vertical MOI.

I’m having a hard time with guys here (not just you) making statements about the LS being the most forgiving, when their is no metric that says it is, except for their “personal experiences.
@Tenputt posted the Callaway chart, which clearly says the Epic Max is the most forgiving. Call me crazy, but I’ll go with the OEM over the opinion of guys on a message board, on which model THEY designed to be most forgiving.
LOL my mistake i meant to say more forgiving than the Speed which is what the chart says and i said i had not hit the Speed or the Epic Max and my forgiveness comparison is to the Mavrik Max which i played. I have not hit the Epic Max but im sure it is the perfect driver for some just like the speed is for others. Ive said in other posts just like @JDax did that different people will have different results and am only conveying my personal experience. Its like @Canadan saying he likes the Speed “way better”. That does not make me think i should switch to the Speed. @Canadan is a plus handicap golfer and ive seen his swing on various events and postings and i play with players of his caliber and recognize they play a different game than me . Just like others such as @OldandStiff another plus golfer and @Tenputt and @Snickerdog and many others here also low handicappers and im sure consistent good ball strikers which i am not. So when i read what they say i take note and respect what they say but i also look at others like @JDax who i am closer to in handicap and see what they think. So that is how i view what people say and things i take into account and i guess i assume thats what others do . Like when @ Tenputt although he prefers the Speed commented on how easy it was to hit the Epic Max LS straight and keep it in play i assume that he found that to be in comparison to the Speed which he prefers but that certainly confirms what i thought with where i am now the Max LS and not the Speed was for me as i am not a plus or low handicap and unfortunately not a consistent ball striker which i have pointed out in my posts to give people a frame of reference. Again i apologize for the confusion in not stating the forgiveness comparison was to the Speed and mispeaking and saying the chart said it was the most forgiving which it did not . My mistake .

Last edited:
I agree with you. I just was showing some data that the Max was in fact more forgiving. The Max LS is pretty close to the Max though relative to other brands. It seems that other manufacturers Max versions are 400-500 higher MOI than their non-max versions. Also, there could be an even larger difference in vertical MOI.
😉
I know we were in agreement, I didn’t mean to come off like we weren’t. I was only trying to add to your point by mentioning that a low spin driver, even one with a higher moi than a lot of others in that category, isn’t going to be a good fit for the vast majority of golfers. Nor will they find it forgiving.
I made a prediction in this thread near the beginning of it when it seemed like everyone here was only talking about the speed and the LS. It was that in a couple of months from now we’ll be reading how a lot of them will either switch out to the Epic Max, or go with another line entirely. I still think I’ll be correct about that.

From another site regarding MOI. Max: front-to-back MOI in the mid-5,000s and a combined MOI over 9,000; Max LS: front-to-back MOI in the high 4,000s to low 5,000s and a combined MOI over 8,400.

😉
I know we were in agreement, I didn’t mean to come off like we weren’t. I was only trying to add to your point by mentioning that a low spin driver, even one with a higher moi than a lot of others in that category, isn’t going to be a good fit for the vast majority of golfers. Nor will they find it forgiving.
I made a prediction in this thread near the beginning of it when it seemed like everyone here was only talking about the speed and the LS. It was that in a couple of months from now we’ll be reading how a lot of them will either switch out to the Epic Max, or go with another line entirely. I still think I’ll be correct about that.
It will be interesting to see if this happens. Personally I reached out to @DNevsCG for a recommendation when I switched. I had played the Mavrik SZ and instantly he told me the Epic Speed would be the replacement. So far it has worked great for my swing, plus I like the added forgiveness over the Mavrik SZ.

The Epic Speed driver was really good for me yesterday. I kept it in play and didn't take penalties with it. I was launching it lower than usual yesterday so i may make an adjustment if i see that again

Oh way better.
You definitely hit the Speed better than the Max LS in the 2 rounds we played... On the other hand, hit the Max LS very well this weekend.

As with anything, individual mileage may vary....

You definitely hit the Speed better than the Max LS in the 2 rounds we played... On the other hand, hit the Max LS very well this weekend.

It sucks being an amateur golfer. Depends on our swing for the day.

LOL my mistake i meant to say more forgiving than the Speed which is what the chart says and i said i had not hit the Speed or the Epic Max and my forgiveness comparison is to the Mavrik Max which i played. I have not hit the Epic Max but im sure it is the perfect driver for some just like the speed is for others. Ive said in other posts just like @JDax did that different people will have different results and am only conveying my personal experience. Its like @Canadan saying he likes the Speed “way better”. That does not make me think i should switch to the Speed. @Canadan is a plus handicap golfer and ive seen his swing on various events and postings and i play with players of his caliber and recognize they play a different game than me . Just like others such as @OldandStiff another plus golfer and @Tenputt and @Snickerdog and many others here also low handicappers and im sure consistent good ball strikers which i am not. So when i read what they say i take note and respect what they say but i also look at others like @JDax who i am closer to in handicap and see what they think. So that is how i view what people say and things i take into account and i guess i assume thats what others do . Like when @ Tenputt although he prefers the Speed commented on how easy it was to hit the Epic Max LS straight and keep it in play i assume that he found that to be in comparison to the Speed which he prefers but that certainly confirms what i thought with where i am now the Max LS and not the Speed was for me as i am not a plus or low handicap and unfortunately not a consistent ball striker which i have pointed out in my posts to give people a frame of reference. Again i apologize for the confusion in not stating the forgiveness comparison was to the Speed and mispeaking and saying the chart said it was the most forgiving which it did not . My mistake .
I think I’ll be able to provide this thread some really good feedback...

0555DEBA-9B72-4D65-AABA-9EE6FA4D82E1.jpeg
I still have a Mavrik SZ & an Epic Max LS, when Shaft Up is over, I’ll see if @JB will let me back into the Tech Studio & get some comparison numbers for those that are debating & pondering over the two low spin drivers...

I love the talk in here... almost as much as I love that there are three options that suit people's game in their own ways.

It's also great because I can go out with my weird swing and fall in love with one for no other reason than it sits well for me at address and I can control the face a bit better through the swing (stupid open face at impact flaws hahaha).

That's the beauty of this game.. and why I will never make a blanket claim on products.

It still baffles me how you make contact with a driver with the way you suffocate the ball at address.

But it effin works.

I love the talk in here... almost as much as I love that there are three options that suit people's game in their own ways.

It's also great because I can go out with my weird swing and fall in love with one for no other reason than it sits well for me at address and I can control the face a bit better through the swing (stupid open face at impact flaws hahaha).

That's the beauty of this game.. and why I will never make a blanket claim on products.
I think that is what is being missed here with all this talk about spin... The major difference in these 3 options is that the Max LS is more fade bias than the other 2, so if your miss is left of Walter Mondale (like mine), the Max LS is worth a look.

Back