Going Through a Putter Fitting at Club Champion

Man, this makes me want to go through a putter fitting in a good way. I don't have anywhere near me so I'll need to me prepared for a couple hour drive. Very interesting indeed.

Great writeup James, I had fun reading that. Going to have to re-read tonight when I can really let the details sink in.

@Jman sorry if I missed in the article, but how long did this take overall?

Really good article and first-hand account of the fitting @Jman. The third article in a row about putter fittings with @Club Champion and all point to how important these could be to helping us lower our score. Definitely, something I need to get on my schedule. I am really interested in speaking with them about changing to an arm lock putter and how that could affect my consistency score.

Great article Jman. That's one area that I've never worked on getting fitted, putter. Lot's of great stuff. (y)

Great writeup as usual @Jman! Your experience was pretty similar to mine. I think putter fittings are way overlooked (I know I'm guilty) and offer some of the best chances at improvement based on the changes.

Not on SAM, but on the course the improvements have been pretty eye opening for me. The roll now is exponentially quicker and tighter, and it’s also lead to some adjustment as my pace is back. In the article I mentioned I felt like I had to put more on putts to get them to the hole, the loft adjustment has more than rectified that.

Combined with some thoughts “inside and down the line” that Jacob gave me as well as going out and getting a training aid he recommended for my type of stroke, and my putting is in a better place than it’s been in years.

During mine we rolled it on the SAM and the improvement in the roll was evident. It's also translated to the greens. I'm forever dialing it in but it's been a pretty significant difference and my speed control has gotten much better.

Great writeup as usual @Jman! Your experience was pretty similar to mine. I think putter fittings are way overlooked (I know I'm guilty) and offer some of the best chances at improvement based on the changes.

During mine we rolled it on the SAM and the improvement in the roll was evident. It's also translated to the greens. I'm forever dialing it in but it's been a pretty significant difference and my speed control has gotten much better.
First time on the course I started laughing because I was still putting the same stroke length I had been on the ball and was just blowing by everything, but it was evident just how pure the roll was. I’m now comfortable on the greens again and the numbers are showing it.

First time on the course I started laughing because I was still putting the same stroke length I had been on the ball and was just blowing by everything, but it was evident just how pure the roll was. I’m now comfortable on the greens again and the numbers are showing it.

Heh, yeah the first couple of rounds were interesting for sure. Getting used to being able to make a shorter putting stroke takes a second.

I think that is the benefit of the fitter. You don't really need any data as long as you trust your fitter.
Great point

Heh, yeah the first couple of rounds were interesting for sure. Getting used to being able to make a shorter putting stroke takes a second.
For sure!

Took the V out onto the course this afternoon for a putting challenge with the kids and it did really well. Even my two top kiddos commented on the roll.

I love CC and I love their putter fittings!

So glad you had a chance to break it down for everyone @Jman
You’d been pushing me to go visit my nearest CC for a while and it was worth it, even on a truly last second appointment! I’m planning on going in later this summer to do some work on irons before the Mizuno event and I really can’t wait.

I have used the SAM PuttLab a couple times for both lessons and a fitting and it is very eye-opening in terms of the information it provides, especially the lesson where I could see the before and after numbers

You’d been pushing me to go visit my nearest CC for a while and it was worth it, even on a truly last second appointment! I’m planning on going in later this summer to do some work on irons before the Mizuno event and I really can’t wait.
haha yeah, you'll totally wait until later this summer to go back there.

...I completely believe you

haha yeah, you'll totally wait until later this summer to go back there.

...I completely believe you
I mean....probably not :ROFLMAO:

Great write up. My experience was very similar. I also needed decreased loft on my gamer and it immediately helped the ball roll better. The SAM lab confirmed my on course miss tendency.

Great write up. My experience was very similar. I also needed decreased loft on my gamer and it immediately helped the ball roll better. The SAM lab confirmed my on course miss tendency.
Thank you!

I finally got to get back out for some “me” golf yesterday with a little lull in our HS tournament schedules and the roll efficiency makes me chuckle a lot. So much less work has to be put into the putting stroke now. It’s something I should’ve gone in for a checkup on long long ago.

I lost track of this one as I have been busy at work. @Jman thank you so much for sharing this. This is fantastic insight into the putter fitting process. It's really cool that they adjusted your putters for you as well.

As I also mentioned, it’s been rolled on three different surfaces already, and more detail on that is it has been at three different speeds and two different grass types.
What are you noticing with regards to your putting since the adjustment? I know when the loft is right putting can be more effortless. Did you hammer a few before you got speed right again?

What are you noticing with regards to your putting since the adjustment? I know when the loft is right putting can be more effortless. Did you hammer a few before you got speed right again?
Took me a whole round to adjust and a lot of laughter. Making my mind accept that a stroke that short would be sufficient was a hard re-wire, but it’s made putting a lot more fun again.

I enjoyed my fitting and feel like it's rolling well. Now I just need to better at reading the greens both for break and speed.

Posted this in the other CC thread.
I had a putter fitting with Corey here in Tucson a couple of weeks ago.
Great experience all around, and a real eye opener as well.
I've always been a decent putter (avg.33 putts per round) rarely 3 putt preferred 34" Anser type heads with plumber or flow neck, with an occasional foray into #9/Del Mar or 8802 blades. Mallets always distracted my eyes, especially bigger ones.
Well, the SAM pointed out that I have a very consistent stroke with good impact. Inside and down the line. Suggestion: Mallet with 30-40* to hang, 4.3* of loft.
That was a surprise, but the biggest take away was how far inside the line my eyes were at address, causing a 2.2* shut face at address Explains the pull/lowside misses on right to left putts. Remedy: 33" length = Instant results.
I had brought several of my favorite putters w/ me and Corey was kind enough to cut them down and and adjust the lofts on 4.
First practice session outdoors on grass that evening and the change was dramatic in both line and roll. First round out 33 putts, but made a bunch of 4-6 footers for pars.
Now, being the putter aficionado that I am, and armed with new data, I went and bought a couple of high MOI winged mallets. I traded in a Betti SS 2 ( PGASS gave me full return price even 6 months after I bought it from them. Props!) and bought an Inovai 6.0 Rev, and then picked up a TM TP Black Copper Ardmore 3 off the bay.
Haven't put the TM in for a round yet because I'm loving the Betti! First 2 rounds 32 and 31 putts, made almost everything within 8 ft, the one I missed was a poor stroke.
The TM Has been on the putting green and I like the look, but the ball really comes of the face fast! I understand the TP Patina has a different insert? Maybe a little softer sounding? Not sure. Might be looking for one on the bay later on.
Anyway, I love the Innovai and am probably getting rid of a few answer style blades form my collection.
The whole CC Putter fitting was a great experience and also a confidence builder in that it confirmed that I'm a good putter that just needed a little tweak of the equipment. Worth the $100 for sure
Corey Prangle in Tucson was very personable and knowledgeable and I would recommend anyone in the area check CC out.
I'll be going back for Driver and hybrid shaft fitting soon.

I hope @jman and @doubleb21 can split the commission. I was 90% sure I needed to get this done after reading b21's review of his experience. Now I am 110% sure. I am really just waiting on a few putters that might be coming out later this year before I schedule this and order something to spec.

Back