Curious - Have you had your lofts checked? I finally found a dreaded review on youtube of these and they were coming in a bit strong from advertised.
you have a link to the video?

Curious - Have you had your lofts checked? I finally found a dreaded review on youtube of these and they were coming in a bit strong from advertised.

Yeah, I had them checked when they were built. All set to Wilson standards. 7i came in at 34*.

Yeah, I had them checked when they were built. All set to Wilson standards. 7i came in at 34*.
Good to know! Now if only these clubs would show up in Calgary. To find a set of Wilson Staff irons anywhere is like finding a blue lobster.

just got mine mine today!

Good to know! Now if only these clubs would show up in Calgary. To find a set of Wilson Staff irons anywhere is like finding a blue lobster.
are your courses open yet? I remember going to that artificial turf driving range out by Harvest Hills around Easter a few years ago, ground was still frozen so the balls were bouncing as high as I've ever seen and running forever

are your courses open yet? I remember going to that artificial turf driving range out by Harvest Hills around Easter a few years ago, ground was still frozen so the balls were bouncing as high as I've ever seen and running forever
I believe one or two are, but the grass is still mustard powder coloured and do not look like anything I would want to hit off of!

What shafts did you go with for these?
Went with stock TT Dynamic Gold. That's what I used in the hitting bay with them at PGA SS. Only change I made was the grip went with crossline grip. Would have preferred cord crossline but they only offered in Mid-size.

Got mine today, pretty disappointed that they came in a 1/2" short. Not sure if it is how Wilson measures clubs or what but I have played a 38.25" 5-iron on down for years, in multiple sets, and Wilson's standard specs said their 5-iron would be 38.25", when compared to a few sets in the garage, they are clearly 1/2" short, major bummer. That aside, they are beautiful and I can't wait to hit them.

Got mine today, pretty disappointed that they came in a 1/2" short. Not sure if it is how Wilson measures clubs or what but I have played a 38.25" 5-iron on down for years, in multiple sets, and Wilson's standard specs said their 5-iron would be 38.25", when compared to a few sets in the garage, they are clearly 1/2" short, major bummer. That aside, they are beautiful and I can't wait to hit them.
I did check mine and they are in line with the specs and were same length as my prior irons. If It were me I would contact Wilson and ask them to fix it. Maybe hit them first and see how it works out.

I did check mine and they are in line with the specs and were same length as my prior irons. If It were me I would contact Wilson and ask them to fix it. Maybe hit them first and see how it works out.

I hit them this morning, and the 1/2" shorter just isn't feeling right. I am going to contact them to let them know of the error, if I had the time I would have them fix it, but I have a golf trip next week, so I took them to a club fitter already, he is pulling 5-iron shaft and putting it in the 6-iron and on down the line.

Irons are back and fixed by the clubfitter. Have had two range sessions so far, and first impressions are the softness of these, flushed shots feel fantastic. I think these may be softer than the MMC's I was playing before (which may sound crazy to some) and definitely softer than the Cobra forged I have played as well. Looking forward to getting them on the course this weekend, see how they go through the turf, as I have only hit them off mats so far.

Curious to hear more feedback. Getting out to play later this afternoon. These guys are in competition with my beloved bridgestones to see who gets the bag this season. I’ve been incredibly impressed so far.

What I love about these staff model cb’s is the transition from hosel to leading edge. They look so good at address. Little to no offset and nice straight leading edge. Just a fantastic looking iron.

Curious to hear more feedback. Getting out to play later this afternoon. These guys are in competition with my beloved bridgestones to see who gets the bag this season. I’ve been incredibly impressed so far.

What I love about these staff model cb’s is the transition from hosel to leading edge. They look so good at address. Little to no offset and nice straight leading edge. Just a fantastic looking iron.

Played my first round with them yesterday, first time off grass as well. Great feel through the turf, nothing amazing, but rips through it very nicely. These have a completely different feel at impact than my previous Fly Z Pro's and MMC's. It is soft as hell, but a heavy hit feeling to it is the way I can describe it. It feels substantial and stable at impact compared to those two and I really like it. Hit a few shots a groove or two down on the face and they did ok for me, some obvious distance loss, but not as much as I would have expected.

love to see feedback coming in on these. i doubt there is anywhere i can see these in person around here but i'd still love to hit them sometime this year

After my round yesterday, I can say these are in the bag for the season. They are so soft on center strikes with a strong ball flight. The feel reminds of my old apex pro double dots.

Easy to flight and work the ball. They just feel so damn good! Still need to dial in my distance gaps, but that will come with more rounds.

I hit some thin approach shots yesterday and they performed great. The tungsten on the toe really makes a difference. They feel really stable on mishits. Very impressed!

I really hope I can find some of these to hit!

The salesman I spoke with on Saturday said that Wilson doesn't have much market penetration because they have maintained their traditional lofts and spins, which is counter to what the rest of the market has done and therefore is not popular. I thought - what a contrived mix of fact and reasoning to try and explain why people don't buy these beautiful irons.

I really hope I can find some of these to hit!

The salesman I spoke with on Saturday said that Wilson doesn't have much market penetration because they have maintained their traditional lofts and spins, which is counter to what the rest of the market has done and therefore is not popular. I thought - what a contrived mix of fact and reasoning to try and explain why people don't buy these beautiful irons.
Haha that sales person must not know many of their lines.

Not only is it not true, they have had stronger lofted irons as long as anybody on the market.

Haha that sales person must not know many of their lines.

Not only is it not true, they have had stronger lofted irons as long as anybody on the market.
Buddy was FILLED with dubious claims, inaccuracies, and sweeping assumptions. I'm not sure I've ever been so put off as a customer.

Buddy was FILLED with dubious claims, inaccuracies, and sweeping assumptions. I'm not sure I've ever been so put off as a customer.

Tell him to go look up the specs on the new D9 irons!:ROFLMAO:

Kind of forgot about this thread, but I've made an effort to hit these a few times whenever I'm in store lately, and took one out for a few holes a little while back. They really fit what I like over the ball. Like, really fit. I thought of these in the 'what style of iron' thread when I was talking about look. I love a compact head, very little offset, and the top line doesn't have to be too slim. They really do look classic and beautiful. Stunners in the bag. They feel really nice to me, maybe more towards soft than solid, but I seem to fight the tungsten in the toe a bit. It must be more than just a few grams for show. Plays with my rotation. So not a great fit for me personally, but I could definitely play them, and at the price they seem like a heck of a deal.

Last edited:
Yeah, the tungsten in the toe makes a pretty big difference in stability. I never found it to alter the club through impact though. If anything, they are way more forgiving than they should be with such a compact shape.

They felt good when I tested them. For my first round with them using a premium ball they felt very soft! Way softer feeling than when I hit them indoors. Very similar feeling to my old apex pro double dots.

Yeah, the tungsten in the toe makes a pretty big difference in stability. I never found it to alter the club through impact though. If anything, they are way more forgiving than they should be with such a compact shape.
That's just a me thing. Heavier or more toe side weighting kind of works against me in ways sometimes. Took me a while to understand. They seem really nice though. I've kind of had my eye out trying to find them in someone's bag here. Where I hit them they say they've only sold one set. Figure there has to be more out here than that.

20210421_172130.jpg

Last time, just to lock in the feel memory...

Been playing the p790's for the last few years and have gotten significantly better with my ball striking. I've always been intrigued by the Wilson irons because my grandfather (my hero) played them his whole life. I played with a guy who had the V6 irons and hit a few on the range and loved the feeling. I immediately did some research and went to my local PGA superstore for my first fitting and to try the CB's out, along with a list of other players irons. I pulled the trigger on the CB's with the KBS $ Taper Lite R Flex Shafts. I'm super excited. How long did it take Wilson to ship your irons to those who are already bagging them?

Back