I had 11 putts on the front 9 today with 2 lip outs and only 1 tap-in. Ridiculous! I’ve never had a nine like that before.

Has anyone switched from a heavy toe hang putter to face balanced? How was the process? Fitting has me at face balance to 30 deg and would appreciate insight from others as I consider how to make what feels like a big jump.

Has anyone switched from a heavy toe hang putter to face balanced? How was the process? Fitting has me at face balance to 30 deg and would appreciate insight from others as I consider how to make what feels like a big jump.

I don't believe the criteria that putter fitters are selling is worthwhile. For putter fitting I believe what matters most is a putter's length-to-weight ratio. For example, a short length 32" or 33" putter should have a heavy head (350 to 360) so that the finished putter is well balanced. A 34" to 35" putter should have a moderate head weight (330 to 340 grams)
and a longer length of 36" to 37" should have a relatively light weight 310 to 320 gram head. In addition to head weight grip weight is also relevant to producing a well balanced finished putter.
The shop's selling fitting don't get into any of the above length-to-weight balance, swing weight factors because it's too much work. Instead they sell nonsense about stroke type, toe hang, face balance etc... The reality is that "stroke type" and, or, "stroke path" has a direct correlation to putter length. And putter length is directly correlated to the player's address technique-posture.
If you want a putter that fits you well I suggest first finding a length that is comfortable, and then selecting a head weight and grip weight that gives you a good sense swing weight at that length. Once that's done you can decide whether center shaft, near center shaft, or heel shaft is what you like looking at best and, or, what you consistently align the best.

If you want a putter that fits you well I suggest first finding a length that is comfortable, and then selecting a head weight and grip weight that gives you a good sense swing weight at that length. Once that's done you can decide whether center shaft, near center shaft, or heel shaft is what you like looking at best and, or, what you consistently align the best.

What would be your advice to find what you feel is a good sense of swing weight?

What would be your advice to find what you feel is a good sense of swing weight?

Most people find that clubs within a range of about C9 to D5 have a "good balanced feel" when swung. Below C9 clubs tend to "feel out of balance too light" and clubs above D5 tend to feel a bit heavy-sluggish when swung. This holds true for all clubs, from driver thru the the putter.
Club fitters will often say swing weight does not matter much and, or, it's easy to "fool or trick the swing weight scale", but I disagree, Swing weight is a measure of balance and a club's balance matters very much when swinging it to play shots. In recent years putter heads have become absurdly heavy and OEM's usually do not even publish their swing weights because the numbers for lots of them is probably E0 or higher, which would look bad, alarming. To offset the heavy heads OEM's are using heavy grips, but that results in very heavy static weight putters, which is a separate subject.

Putting:
Round with my league partner, a very good putter. He is giving me tips on reading greens and noted that I was not sticking to my routine and standing over the ball too long. Good feedback, noted.

Also working with a little gate on the home mat. 1,2,3 feet distances. Hard. I haven’t worked with one before. Very helpful for dialing in alignment and stroke consistency. Results between 2-ball ten s tour lined and mcraft IV are surprising. Mcraft is leading the charge for gate running.

I know this goes against what common putter fitting knowledge says but I feel like finding the putter that gives you comfort is more important than toe hang. I've been fit for heavy toe hang putters in the past and did ok with them. I then switched to a face balanced putter that I loved the look of and felt very comfortable with and started putting better.

I guess my advice would be to use that fitting as a general guideline but find what is comfortable for you and performs.

Does anyone else intentionally hit putts off center to scrub speed on quick downhill putts?

If it's something I just need to get started or possibly end up 10+ feet past the hole, I've always hit it off the toe on purpose.

#randomthought

Nothing like first round of the year putting to make me feel inadequate. I tried three different ways, claw, standard and Horschel'ish and the greens were so fuzzy and slow, I couldn't find any sort of accuracy.

Does anyone else intentionally hit putts off center to scrub speed on quick downhill putts?

If it's something I just need to get started or possibly end up 10+ feet past the hole, I've always hit it off the toe on purpose.

#randomthought
I do this exact same thing to take the “Juice” from the speed of the putt.

Last edited:

#randomthought

This was a piece of advice I got waay back when I was first figuring out if I even wanted to get into golf or not. It worked ok for me on some severe downhills but honestly not something I really practice anymore.

toulon san diego speaking to me from CPO...

Head covers should not have Velcro. Prove me wrong.

I have been doing some research on the L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1 putter by watching videos and reading articles. I am not put off by the look as long as it helps my game.

I am planning to visit a local shop to do a custom fitting soon (probably Haggin Oaks in Sacramento, one of the largest retail places in the US.) I would appreciate any tips prior to my session.

Anyone use the EVNRoll ER1TS? What did you like or dislike about it?

i keep trying the spider s and it just doesn't work for me...

1* of loft has changed my game on the greens. Just wild.

1* of loft has changed my game on the greens. Just wild.
Are you just feeling more confident and consistent with it? Did it improve your feel at all?

Back