The most extraordinary round of golf you’ve ever seen in person?

DaveGolfer15

Reaction score
Handicap
8 (WHS)
It’s in the title - could be you or your playing partner.

For me, it was my playing partner’s round. Playing in a competition many years ago, a guy I knew well and was a member at my club (therefore I know his handicap was legitimate) shot a 68 off an 8 handicap. For one day only, he played like a tour pro. Hit most fairways, hit most greens and putted beautifully. It all added up to a 68 and by far the most extraordinary round of golf I’ve ever seen, or am ever likely to see...!

Can’t put my finger on a specific instance, but one of my buddies who played in college has had a few rounds where he struggled to hit fairways but always seems to find a way to make par. At the end of the round he’d be like welp 74, just imagine if I could’ve hit a fairway today. There are certain things I would definitely love to take away from his game.

I played in a threesome once where each of us shot a PB in that round. I was an 11 at the time and shot a 77 (on a Par 70 course). My playing partners who were an 8 and a 5 hsndicap, shot 74 and 70 that day.

I played in a threesome once where each of us shot a PB in that round.
That’s a good one, must have been a fun round of golf 😃.

@GraniteRoost shot either -1 or E in the Sunday shamble at PGA National in the Graphite Challenge with :UST: and :hogan:. It was an impressive display, especially his play of the Bear Trap from the tips.

The guy I play most with is an 18 handicap. One day on aerated greens, he proceeded to shoot an 83.
It was fun to watch

Everytime I play with my stupid BIL I watch him shoot tremendous rounds. Last time we played 2 years ago it was a 6 under 66 and to make it "fair" for me he played only irons. Butthole! 🙄 😎

Honestly, this will sound corny. My daughter (now a year out of college) played 4 years of high school golf where on one particular course, if she broke 50 she would qualify for the girls individual regional, where they would play 18 on a course that hosted the US Women's Amateur. She was flirting with it all round, on her 7th or 8th hole, she called a penalty (unplayable lie) on herself and ended up missing the number by 1. After the round and everyone came in, 2 coaches from other schools (as well as her coach) commended Julia for knowing the rules and playing by them. They explained to her that none of them had ever witnessed what she did before - as most of the girls had no idea what the rules were. Julia would lose a match by 2 or 3 shots when I watched - and if I counted all the things her opponent did wrong Julia would win most of them. So for me, it was watching my kid play by the rules, knowing and understanding them, and having coaches from other teams commend her for that.

She never did qualify and we learned that most of the girls that did were DQed for turning in bad scorecards - they were being watched by coaches and scorers and most just did not know the rules. Since then, Julia's school spends a lot of time the rules of golf, and course etiquette. Julia was even invited to talk to the freshmen more than once. And this school had the number 1 or 2 girl player in the state at that time - she was never invited to talk!

Tiger's Sunday round at Bellerieve in 2018 was fantastic in person.

I was directly behind the tee box on 3 when Tiger hit this one and watched it in person from there; looking directly down the line just like the camera shot.

Been to many events over the years... I can say I've never heard a roar like that one when he d@mn near jarred it.

Granted, he was a mini-tour pro and has since earned a 6 round exemption to play on the Canadian Tour, but it was a round with our club’s resident stud golfer, David Germann.

Summer of 2019, he shot a -9 63 with 10 birds and a bogey during a club skins match. That was "only" from the blue tees but it was a sight to behold. He made his birds many ways. Short putts, long putts, chip-in, dropped from the sand. Set a new blue tee club record.

A week later he went -9 from the tips too and then very shortly after that, set the new club record -10 (62) from the tips. Was an important goal of his to set the mark so I’m happy for him and for being there earlier to see such impressive play.

I’ve played with him only a few times but 7 is the least amount of birdies I’ve seen him make in a round. He’s also sprinkled in some eagles here and there.

@GraniteRoost shot either -1 or E in the Sunday shamble at PGA National in the Graphite Challenge with :UST: and :hogan:. It was an impressive display, especially his play of the Bear Trap from the tips.

You got me blushing. That was a good one! Right up there amongst the best rounds I've played. I've got to shout out to my shamble team for the healthy assist however, that number would have been a lot higher living off my own tee ball!

You got me blushing. That was a good one! Right up there amongst the best rounds I've played. I've got to shout out to my shamble team for the healthy assist however, that number would have been a lot higher living off my own tee ball!

Your irons and putting were fire that day.

Tiger's Sunday round at Bellerieve in 2018 was fantastic in person.

I was directly behind the tee box on 3 when Tiger hit this one and watched it in person from there; looking directly down the line just like the camera shot.

Been to many events over the years... I can say I've never heard a roar like that one when he d@mn near jarred it.

I remember that roar but until I watch that video I didn’t actually see it, what a great experience that day was.

Watched my buddy roll up to the tee box on a bachelor party round, kick his sandals off, no warm-up/practice swings before, shot a smooth 68 barefoot and hammered. Granted, he's a pro, but still impressive.

I remember that roar but until I watch that video I didn’t actually see it, what a great experience that day was.

I mean, I've been at a packed Busch when Pujols ripped a bases loaded double off the wall, I was at the Blues/Hawks triple OT game... that roar was off the charts. This was before he won at Augusta and you could just feel the whole crowd at Bellerieve behind him, wanting to see him do well, and they let it fly on that shot.

Around 12 or so I got tired of fighting the Tiger crowds and walked back a hole to watch the leaders - Koepka and I think Adam Scott. Walked right up to the rope. Maybe 100 people on the hole LOL.

Played a round with tourist visiting Vegas from down under. We just happened to get paired up.

This was at the old Winterwood/Desert Rose GC in in east Vegas. Back in the late 1980s iirc..

The guy had never been to Vegas before

He shot a 65, while putting lights out. He was amazing to watch.

We agreed to meet up again in Mesquite NV at the Casablanca GC. This was a week later.
Same thing, only he shoots a 64.

Every swing/shot the guy made was text book. It was his putting that was a pleasure to watch.

I followed Tiger play a round during the President's Cup when it was in San Francisco. I was in awe the whole time.

Last edited:
I played with Ted Purdy at Moon Valley CC about 15 years ago. He hit one quality shot after another, made a few putts and missed several too - at the end of the day, he shot 67 and could have easily done 4-5 shots better.

What struck me the most was how simple and boring it all looked, and that's what made it extraordinary.

The most impressive round I've ever been a part of was not the best scoring round I've seen in person. It was over 30 years ago. This 75 year old man joined our group of 3. He didn't have a driver in his bag. He used a 3 wood off the tee and the same club off the deck in holes that were past 360 yards. He would hit the 3 wood about 180 with no tee. Always made clean contact.

All day the worst first putt he had was for par. He would hit his drive straight. Use the same club if it was over 180. Irons for less than 180. Made it look so easy. We were all over the course hitting 250 plus drives. Battling with trees and water. I still remember what he said to this day. "You guys fight it too much. This game can be easy of you let it be". He shot a 6 over 78 that day from the white tees. We were all in the 90's. Everything he hit was clean and straight. What's even more impressive was that he was recovering from a heart attack he had 3 months earlier.

The best scoring round about ten years ago was another guy who joined our group of 3. He shot a 4 under 68 from the white tees. He did say he normally plays from the blue tees but since we were on the whites he played there with us. That is why he shot so well. He was extremely good with the driver. Could shape his drives left or right to follow the fairways.

didn't @Canadan shoot like 61 or 62 at grand cypress with some thp'ers a few years ago? that had to be pretty damn impressive.

i watched a guy on the latin pga tour shoot 64 or 65 from the tips at grand cypress, and he was furious because it should have been lower.

Watching Sam Snead play a round of golf at The Greenbrier in conjunction with his 85th birthday party. I was fortunate to receive an invitation and attend the party but watching that swing -- at age 85 -- is something I will always remember.

Played in a Member Guest tournament some years ago. The twosome paired with us was a grandfather and grandson. The grandson shot a 28 on the back nine. The only hole he did not birdie was a par three that he lipped out the putt. The two par fives, while he birdied them both he left the third shot on only inches from eagle and missed his eagle putt on the other one. Just an amazing round. He later in our club championship shot 63 on the last day to lock it up.

I can’t remember which course but it was watching @The Milk Man shoot par without even tying his shoes or really even trying. I think that round included a one handed eagle putt while he was taking a call from work

Best round I saw by an amateur: 17 year old from my home town who was a +1 or 2 at the time was put with our club pro to get him ready for state, I got lucky to play with them. He had 7 birdies through 17 holes, on the last hole of the day (it was a shotgun start) a 117 yard par 3, he 3 putted for bogey to shoot a 65 (par 71).

Best round I saw by a pro: volunteered as a walking scorer at a Korn Ferry event and saw a player put up a 63, chipped in for an eagle but missed 3 other birdie putts inside of 8’. Just a ridiculous ball striking display. Sad thing is I don’t think he even finished in the top 25.

I can’t remember which course but it was watching @The Milk Man shoot par without even tying his shoes or really even trying. I think that round included a one handed eagle putt while he was taking a call from work
I remember that phone call, one of our supervisors found a bag of illegal drugs at someone's work station. They called to let me know they fired the person. Also I am sure it rained during that round as well because it always rains when we play.

Back