I think we can say that Aaron Rodgers was better at not throwing interceptions and better able to move outside the pocket and also scramble. Probably (definitely) better in cold weather games.
This is where recency bias blurs the picture, Brees was just as mobile as Rodgers in his prime...

This is closer than I would have thought.

My original thought was Rodgers by a long shot mainly because I am thinking of today and who is better now.

Yet, if you look over time Brees does match up very well with Rodgers. And frankly, has better stats.

Brees has over 80,000 passing yards and over 570 TDs in 20 seasons versus Rodgers having over 51000 and over 410 TDs in 16 years.

Both have one Super Bowl ring, Rodgers has two MVP seasons to Brees' one MVP season.

I would say Rodgers has much better talent and is just a better player, but Brees was able to do more with his lessor talent.

Rodgers has the better playoff record at 11-9 versus Brees at 9-9

It is really close, but I still have to say Rodgers despite Brees having the stats over him. Rodgers just has had much less talent with him over the years and not nearly the same quality coach. I would lean Rodgers, but could understand the thoughts just looking at statistics and people that go with Brees.
Good take...

Here's how I'd do it:

I'd pick an elite third-party team - let's say the 2020 Bucs, Chiefs, or Bills. You have one season with that roster and either Brees or Rodgers in his prime. It's close, but I think I take Brees in that case because he's a better leader (IMO) and will probably produce better results over the course of a season. Since football is a team sport, the better more effective QB will produce better results.

There are so many variables and intangibles, I can't say one is decisively "better" than the other.

Having a debate with the kool aid drinking @JDax about who was better (not who is better) career wise. I say Rodgers and it isn't close as he threw a better deep ball, was as accurate or more so and a much quicker release. @JDax is a Saints fan, and says Brees. Now keep in mind that barring Brees also playing at LSU couldn't be a bigger fan. :D

I think that sets the stage properly. But looking at the entire body of work, who you got?
I may be a bit biased being from Wisconsin and being a life long Packer fan but I dont know how you make a case for Brees. Rodger just has better numbers, better talent, better physical skills and you could argue that he did it for much of the time in a tougher division and with less talent than Brees had.
Rodgers has often made 3rd or 4th string recievers into pro bowlers. You could go on and on with the list of recievers who were stars in Green Bay but went to others teams for various reasons and now youre like, "hey, remember that guy? What was his name?"
I like Brees. I dont love some of the politcal comments that he was made lately but he seems like a good dude for the most part. Lets be real though, if you were starting a team and your choice was Brees or Rodgers, are you really taking Brees? I didnt think so. :LOL:

I may be a bit biased being from Wisconsin and being a life long Packer fan but I dont know how you make a case for Brees. Lets be real though, if you were starting a team and your choice was Brees or Rodgers, are you really taking Brees? I didnt think so. :LOL:
E8C4786B-5152-4072-9B40-1320AC7DDC62.gif

[QUOTE="JDax, post: 9918831, member:
Brees played college at Purdue, and did fine in the elements in college... Not his fault he was drafted by San Diego & went to the Saints.

I agreed that some of the responses are laughable with their praise of Rodgers like he’s the best to ever play the position...
[/QUOTE]
Bullet arm, phenomenal accuracy, great deep ball, extremely smart, winner, can play in any system. In the history of the game I can count on one hand the number of other QBs I’d rather build a team around.

[QUOTE="JDax, post: 9918831, member:
Brees played college at Purdue, and did fine in the elements in college... Not his fault he was drafted by San Diego & went to the Saints.

I agreed that some of the responses are laughable with their praise of Rodgers like he’s the best to ever play the position...
Bullet arm, phenomenal accuracy, great deep ball, extremely smart, winner, can play in any system. In the history of the game I can count on one hand the number of other QBs I’d rather build a team around.
[/QUOTE]
I can count one named Drew Brees...

For me it’s not even close, and I’ve always liked Brees. However , it’s Rogers by a long ways. Green Bay has completely failed in supporting their QB.

I'll take Brees all day long. But....If I ever need someone to work a rummage sale I'm taking Rogers. If he can sell an old pair of pants as well as he tries to get roughing the passer when someone gets close to him, I'm golden.

I'll take this guy.

Green Bay is happy winning divisions every year and not competing for the Super Bowl, so his teams have sucked22B25920-D000-47AD-9AA6-241081BE6397.jpeg

Rodgers hands down. Now if he would just quit whining I'd be a happy girl.
I think he has some closet narcissism the way he likes to get even with people and how he holds grudges. His family situation is weird and it seems like he has weird relationships with women from afar. He seems like an odd duck, but he is an amazing QB 😂

You’re right. He’s only third.

🤣

Brees as much as it pains me to say this, since I am a Panthers fan.

Rodgers 3 time NFL MVP
Brees 0, zero, never

Brees is a great quarterback and will make the hall of fame with ease, but I will take Rodgers everyday.

As a Panthers fan, I don't like Brees. Never have. Never will. I don't like Aaron either.

While Brees has the records over Aaron, he's played in a dome. And forever. Aaron is a better QB ability wise. That's my opinion.

i never like the argument of "he had better talent"....brady turned wes welker and julian edleman into guys who caught 130 in a season. qb makes good players great.

There are plenty of examples of players who Rodgers made great (e.g., Greg Jennings, Jordy Nelson).

Comparing career accolades is tough because it often ignores the most important piece of the puzzle. Brady had a top-10 defense each year he won a Super Bowl and a top-15 defense in all but two seasons (2002 & 2005) as a Patriot. Rodgers had that luxury three times, once being his Super Bowl winning season of 2010. As far as a top-15 defense, that occurred for Rodgers just 54% of the time.

Pundits like to focus on the draft (i.e., lack of "offensive weapons") but at the end of the day when people say "they didn't do enough to help Rodgers", that's mostly on the defensive side of the ball.

I wish we had a poll on this one. The responses make me feel like I am taking crazy pills and watching a different sport.

Put Rodgers, then Brees, on each team in the league and assess who makes the greater impact and the most, better.

I'd vote Rodgers.

But it's kind of like the Manning/Brady debate from years back. I'd take Brady but would I cry for being forced to settle with Manning?

Uh... no.

It's sort of a loaded question really. Who was better career wise? It's hard to argue against Brees' numbers, they're pretty staggering and he's a surefire hall of famer. That being said, Rodgers would still get my vote by a sliver. Brees played every home game in a dome and in a division where the furthest North he traveled for a division game was Charlotte. I also think it's worth pointing out the coach discrepancy the two have had. Brees has had a top 3-5 coach at worst his whole career, and Rodgers had Mike McCarthy. The final tie breaker for me was simply if I was on a neutral field, and the same exact team was in place except for QB, Rodgers would be the QB I chose for my team.

I think he has some closet narcissism the way he likes to get even with people and how he holds grudges. His family situation is weird and it seems like he has weird relationships with women from afar. He seems like an odd duck, but he is an amazing QB 😂
Agree 100%! He's sitting here almost pulling a Favre when he got upset about Rodgers. Geez. At this point I wouldn't surprised if he did end up retiring just because of the grudge he's holding on to.
I've heard some crazy things about his family life too. So odd. I guess we'll see how all of this plays out.

Last edited:
I said I am biased. That’s because Rodgers grew up as best friends with my law school roommates’ nephew (AR also went to Cal, my alma mater). I never met Rodgers but have heard stories for years - starting with my roommate coming home one day telling me I had to come watch his brothers/nephews LL team play in the World Series because they had this one kid who was out of this world good. I declined, of course. The kid was AR. Anyways, I’ve been 3rd or 4th hand to the evolution of AR. Years ago he was much more open and behind closed doors very giving. For example, the roommates’ nephew was a very good D1 walk on hoops player who got meaningful minutes and who was going to not play his senior year because of money / not being on scholarship. AR offered on his own and actually paid for the senior year so the nephew/friend could have that last season of D1 hoops. He’s now estranged from that same life long friend. I never got the real story about what happened with his family. It’s weird. I’ve heard assorted stories about the roommate and nephews being out with AR and the ugliness that comes from fans. That probably happens to every QB or maybe even player. But from afar I could see how it has an impact. My 3rd person removed perception is he’s become more isolated and reclusive, allows fewer people into his inner circle.

I said I am biased. That’s because Rodgers grew up as best friends with my law school roommates’ nephew (AR also went to Cal, my alma mater). I never met Rodgers but have heard stories for years - starting with my roommate coming home one day telling me I had to come watch his brothers/nephews LL team play in the World Series because they had this one kid who was out of this world good. I declined, of course. The kid was AR. Anyways, I’ve been 3rd or 4th hand to the evolution of AR. Years ago he was much more open and behind closed doors very giving. For example, the roommates’ nephew was a very good D1 walk on hoops player who got meaningful minutes and who was going to not play his senior year because of money / not being on scholarship. AR offered on his own and actually paid for the senior year so the nephew/friend could have that last season of D1 hoops. He’s now estranged from that same life long friend. I never got the real story about what happened with his family. It’s weird. I’ve heard assorted stories about the roommate and nephews being out with AR and the ugliness that comes from fans. That probably happens to every QB or maybe even player. But from afar I could see how it has an impact. My 3rd person removed perception is he’s become more isolated and reclusive, allows fewer people into his inner circle.
Those are wonderful stories!! I have heard so many good things that he has done for other people. He has a huge heart for sure.
I bet the fame and sometimes ugliness has played a part in his isolation from others. He's always been very private about his family and love life. I understand that completely. I've always been a Rodgers fan and I do hope he stays with the Pack.

I'm a Packers fan AND a Rodgers fan, even this week. Been watching since early 1970s.

Where on earth are these Saints fans getting the idea Rodgers was playing on loaded teams? LMFAO. The Packers have won the past 10 years because Rodgers outscored the other team's offense. It sure wasn't because of the defense, especially the coordinators. The worst thing that happened to the Packers long term was winning the 2011 Super Bowl because they thought they could skate by with Dom Capers bend-don't break defensive schemes. I have NEVER seen a team give up more 3rd and long first downs than the Packers defenses the past decade.

And, the offense? O-line has been good, and paid accordingly to protect the GOAT. But, I agreed with Ed Werder, when on ESPN radio prior to last season, said on any other NFL team, Davante Adams would be a "really good #2 wide receiver." The only reason Adams rises above the rest is he runs routes really well. But, that's ALL he does. He doesn't read defenses and doesn't break off routes when Rodgers has to improvise.

Brees has my respect. But, any numbers better than Rodgers are purely due to four more years in the league. This thread should be closed at the mere mention of all-time QB rating, where Rodgers is better than Brees by five points, 103.9 to 98.7.

Back