Talk Me Off the Ledge or Give Me a Push.... I want blades back in my bag

DNice26

Happy to be here...
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
I made the mistake of randomly bringing a Cally MB Apex blade 7 iron (bought a demo a few months back) with me to the range and it has rekindled my desire for a blade setup.

Should I step back from the ledge or just jump....?

Distance wise, it seemed like the MB was going further than the Apex Pro 7 iron. The sound and feel was also significantly more dense and preferred. I'm stating the obvious here, given the tech etc.. I'm not faulting the Apex Pro of course.

Is it just.......

Bro... I’m right there with you.....

I made the mistake of randomly bringing a Cally MB Apex blade 7 iron (bought a demo a few months back) with me to the range and it has rekindled my desire for a blade setup.

Should I step back from the ledge or just jump....?

Distance wise, it seemed like the MB was going further than the Apex Pro 7 iron. The sound and feel was also significantly more dense and preferred. I'm stating the obvious here, given the tech etc.. I'm not faulting the Apex Pro of course.

Is it just.......

Nah man. I can't do it. Blades are fun. They feel amazing. As long as you're not traversing all aspects of the club face, I say do it. Sorry, haha.

Do you want to shoot low scores or love the feel of your best shots. If you want to love the feel of your best shots play blades. If you want to shoot your best scores buy something more forgiving.

Do you want to shoot low scores or love the feel of your best shots. If you want to love the feel of your best shots play blades. If you want to shoot your best scores buy something more forgiving.
There are no guarantees that his scores would be any lower with something more forgiving. Possibly may see himself with a more consistent ball flight if they're going to offer him more spin.

I will give you a high five if you want blades, I will also give you a high five if you don't. Play what you want, it makes things better. You can always switch back.

To be clear.....I'm thinking a combo. Not a FULL set of blades.

Thinking the following:

HMB 4, 5
MP20 6 to PW
*debating going with the 6 in the HMB too, but going back and forth on that spot.

Life's short. Play blades.

A friend of mine recently sent me a long text about how he thought I was depressed on the course and how I'm not really enjoying myself. I had passed a comment about how I enjoyed practicing more than playing (most of which is related to the time element). Not to say blades would change my grind mentality, but the theory of playing what makes me happy is on a similar type of path.

Ask yourself these questions:

1) Do you like getting spanked or whipped during intimate sessions?
2) If you were able to, would you enjoy kicking yourself in the nuts?
3) Do you already have a safe word?
4) Do you find jamming your toe into a table arousing?

If you answer yes to all 4 of those, then yes, you should play blades.

i've done it a few times when i thought my ball striking was in a good spot. they're a ton of fun. if you have a decent short game, i don't see why not. but you'll be back to cavities. then back to blades. then back to, well you get the point.

Ask yourself these questions:

1) Do you like getting spanked or whipped during intimate sessions?
2) If you were able to, would you enjoy kicking yourself in the nuts?
3) Do you already have a safe word?
4) Do you find jamming your toe into a table arousing?

If you answer yes to all 4 of those, then yes, you should play blades.

Funny....Yes, was the answer to all.

So that does it...

My safe word is "BUTTER".....so maybe that is also a hint.

i've done it a few times when i thought my ball striking was in a good spot. they're a ton of fun. if you have a decent short game, i don't see why not. but you'll be back to cavities. then back to blades. then back to, well you get the point.

Yep...a vicious cycle. I have ZERO doubt you are correct.

There are no guarantees that his scores would be any lower with something more forgiving. Possibly may see himself with a more consistent ball flight if they're going to offer him more spin.

There are no guarantees in life and I am sure there are a few people that are better with blades but they are very very rare. @DNice26 is a very good golfer so he may be one of those people but most of the 0-4 handicap guys I play with all use players cavity backs.

Funny....Yes, was the answer to all.

So that does it...

My safe word is "BUTTER".....so maybe that is also a hint.

Butter? Dude. Way to common of a word to use during intimate situations. I mean I can think of at least 5 utterances right now that might get mistaken. Mines "hossenfeffer". Hard to get that out as a mistaken gasp during key activities.

And good luck with the blades! :D

Butter? Dude. Way to common of a word to use during intimate situations. I mean I can think of at least 5 utterances right now that might get mistaken. Mines "hossenfeffer". Hard to get that out as a mistaken gasp during key activities.

And good luck with the blades! :D

Thinking the following:

HMB 4, 5
MP20 6 to PW
*debating going with the 6 in the HMB too, but going back and forth on that spot.
Sounds to me like you've already got the set built and in your bag! Some gorgeous clubs too!

I heard a good one the other day if you think you can't make up your mind. Flip a coin. Commit one option to each side and toss it high in the air. You'll subconsciously start hoping for the result you want... My money is on blades.

There are no guarantees in life and I am sure there are a few people that are better with blades but they are very very rare. @DNice26 is a very good golfer so he may be one of those people but most of the 0-4 handicap guys I play with all use players cavity backs.
Sure. That's all well and good. My point is just that MB's are not a guaranteed route to higher scores. If someone is pretty consistent in hitting the sweet spot, or close to it, they're not all that penalizing.

Thinking the following:

HMB 4, 5
MP20 6 to PW

More of a combo. If I was considering it I would probably go HMB in the 6i also.

Thinking the following:

HMB 4, 5
MP20 6 to PW

HMB 4-6 and MP20 7-PW; do it. Maybe keep the Apex Pros long enough to verify the enjoyment is high enough to commit to it.

I had the same conundrum and felt great when I struck my AP2s great but wanted a little more confidence behind the ball and went full P770s. I imagine I'll be back in your camp in a couple of years with a combo set of a more players iron in the shorter clubs.

Play what makes you happiest. I tried a blade experiment 2 years ago and while it was great when I was on, it was a nightmare when I wasn't. I also just gave up too much distance when I am not a long enough hitter to do that. I will say, I have never hit more accurate scoring clubs than I did with them when I hit them well.

Back